Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 01:18 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,176 times

Advertisements

A friend mentioned a place/neighborhood/suburb called University City. I guess it's within Charlotte(?), I dunno. But this friend spoke well about the area.

Does anyone know anything about it in terms of schools, shopping, proximity to Uptown, etc. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2006, 02:39 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist
A friend mentioned a place/neighborhood/suburb called University City. I guess it's within Charlotte(?), I dunno. But this friend spoke well about the area.

Does anyone know anything about it in terms of schools, shopping, proximity to Uptown, etc. Thanks so much.
It's a very nice area, it's north of Charlotte. I looked in Highland creek and I think a shea community, nice homes, but the plot sizes were to small for me (like .22 acres). Anyway I didn't spend a whole lot of time, but drove through the area and the church I visited when I was in Charlotte, several people recommended it.

I don't know anything about the schools though- we ended up in Union County to avoid the growth issues of the Mcek schools. Although most all counties are dealing with a lot of growth, it's just that Mck county is experiencing the most.

Last edited by Miker2069; 06-14-2006 at 02:43 PM..

Old 06-14-2006, 03:08 PM

240 posts, read 1,021,856 times
Shea homes is opening a new section at the end of July- August. Those lots will be a min. of 1/3 acre. The homes are nice.

Old 06-14-2006, 03:11 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washingtonian
Shea homes is opening a new section at the end of July- August. Those lots will be a min. of 1/3 acre. The homes are nice.
That's cool! I do like the shea homes- a friend of ours who moved into the blackstone shea community in matthews/waxhaw (I have no idea how they ended up with a matthews addr, I can look through our tree line in waxhaw and see there community-lol). So it's good to see there giving the homes more land (for some reason north charlotte had more smaller plots)...

Old 06-14-2006, 04:31 PM

44 posts, read 171,059 times
University City is an area in North Charlotte around UNC-Charlotte.

It's easy to get to Uptown via I-85 to I-77. There's plenty of retail centers in the area itself, and it is not too far to Concord Mills (huge mall) and Northlake Mall.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:25 PM

76 posts, read 453,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
Anyway I didn't spend a whole lot of time, but drove through the area and the church I visited when I was in Charlotte, several people recommended it.

I don't know anything about the schools though- we ended up in Union County to avoid the growth issues of the Mcek schools. Although most all counties are dealing with a lot of growth, it's just that Mck county is experiencing the most.
What church did you visit? What did you think? We are still looking for a church here. We are in Union County but willing to drive 30-45min. if we need to.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:39 PM

146 posts, read 638,527 times
I think you should read the Charlotte Observer everyday and check on all of the crime stories and the area that they occur in. I have noticed NUMEROUS reports of crime in the area such as shootings and robberies.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:53 PM

240 posts, read 1,021,856 times
I have been reading the Charlotte Observer. I didn't read about a lot of crime reported in the Highland Creek area near Huntersville/Concord. I believe that is the Northern border of University. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods that I visited. Lexington, Fountaingrove etc. Maybe that is not considered University.

As far as the Shea homes, the new section will have some homes built on the Cabarrus County side going to Cox Mil Elementary etc. other homes will be on the Mecklenburg side going to Highland Creek Elem. etc.. So you can pick your choice within the same community. The information on the new section is not on the internet yet. You have to call Rob Settle at the Shea office and he can give you more details.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindync
What church did you visit? What did you think? We are still looking for a church here. We are in Union County but willing to drive 30-45min. if we need to.
Well at the moment I can't remember but will dig it up- it's a Baptist Church I should mention. It's the home church of a friend of ours who grew up in Charlotte and who's mother is still there...

Old 06-14-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washingtonian
I have been reading the Charlotte Observer. I didn't read about a lot of crime reported in the Highland Creek area near Huntersville/Concord. I believe that is the Northern border of University. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods that I visited. Lexington, Fountaingrove etc. Maybe that is not considered University.

As far as the Shea homes, the new section will have some homes built on the Cabarrus County side going to Cox Mil Elementary etc. other homes will be on the Mecklenburg side going to Highland Creek Elem. etc.. So you can pick your choice within the same community. The information on the new section is not on the internet yet. You have to call Rob Settle at the Shea office and he can give you more details.

Hey I actually met Rob on my trip in Feb- super guy although we didn't choose a shea home, he was very helpful, in that he told us south charlotte/union county was a good choice for our specific parameters- typically sales agents try to push their community they are trying to sell out of- it was very refreshing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte