U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:13 AM

34,519 posts, read 40,076,180 times
Default Hanukkah and Christmas: Charlotte traditions?

What traditions does your family observe for either Hanukkah or Christmas?

My family likes to attend services on Christmas Eve and then get together as a big group on Christmas Day.

What does your family do to celebrate either Hanukkah or Christmas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 10:19 AM

11,760 posts, read 17,338,570 times
My family used to have a big dinner Christmas Eve. My parents would invite friends over to share the meal & we would be allowed to open one present. Sometimes carolers would stop by the house. On Christmas Day we would wake our parents up & have a long leisurely breakfast. We'd then open presents & family might drop by in the afternoon.

These days we go out for Chinese food Christmas Eve & watch DVDs Christmas Day.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:25 AM

2,560 posts, read 4,069,873 times
My new favorite German tradition is the pickle ornament on the tree. Although right now I have a large lab puppy head that fishes for ornaments, sticks his head in the tree grabs and runs. Gifts under the tree is going to be challenging this year, I am sure they'll have a few laps around the kitchen island before they are even opened. Ah, a little dog spit never hurt anyone!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
My family used to have a big dinner Christmas Eve. My parents would invite friends over to share the meal & we would be allowed to open one present. Sometimes carolers would stop by the house. On Christmas Day we would wake our parents up & have a long leisurely breakfast. We'd then open presents & family might drop by in the afternoon.

These days we go out for Chinese food Christmas Eve & watch DVDs Christmas Day.
We have had Chinese on Christmas Eve, too! We used to get cheapie flights back to CLT on Christmas Eve, and no one in my family could pick us up, b/c they all are tied up on Christmas Eve w/ church choir or church services. So we would rent a car at the airport and strike out to Boone . . . and the only thing open was Chinese . . .

Old 12-16-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
My new favorite German tradition is the pickle ornament on the tree. Although right now I have a large lab puppy head that fishes for ornaments, sticks his head in the tree grabs and runs. Gifts under the tree is going to be challenging this year, I am sure they'll have a few laps around the kitchen island before they are even opened. Ah, a little dog spit never hurt anyone!
LOL - I can see puppy now . . . and you are right . . . the presents will be just as much fun, even if the paper is a bit tattered!!!

Now explain that Pickle Ornament . . . ????

Old 12-16-2008, 11:09 AM

7,147 posts, read 11,527,387 times
we do chanukkah, we always did it at my house in NY and NJ we would have potato latkas, apple sauce, perogies with sour cream, and we would light a candle every night for 8 days, and the kids would get a gift every night, and then the last night one BIG present...We also would give them something for christmas since we used to go to our friends house for Christmas Day it was a tradition..this year we dont have any family here and our friends are back in NJ, so we will just light the candles and order in chinese food, and since the kids are older they didnt ask for much...and christmas I will just make a normal dinner...

Old 12-16-2008, 11:21 AM

ohhhhh . . . latkes and perogies and sour cream . . . yum yum yum!!!!

My favorite Lakes recipe:

INGREDIENTS
2 cups peeled and shredded potatoes
1 tablespoon grated onion
3 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup peanut oil

DIRECTIONS
Place the potatoes in a cheesecloth and wring, extracting as much moisture as possible.
In a medium bowl stir the potatoes, onion, eggs, flour and salt together.
In a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil until hot. Place large spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the hot oil, pressing down on them to form 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick patties. Brown on one side, turn and brown on the other. Let drain on paper towels. Serve hot!

(recipe from Allrecipes.com)

Old 12-16-2008, 11:21 AM

10,153 posts, read 10,358,324 times
Well back in Miami we would do a Christmas eve dinner with the bf's family-they're Cuban and then our traditional thing was to have our Christmas brunch and then open presents on Christmas Day.

So this year because its only the bf and I, we're doing a nice steak dinner at the house for Christmas Eve and I will do a smaller version of Christmas brunch for the two of us.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Well back in Miami we would do a Christmas eve dinner with the bf's family-they're Cuban and then our traditional thing was to have our Christmas brunch and then open presents on Christmas Day.

So this year because its only the bf and I, we're doing a nice steak dinner at the house for Christmas Eve and I will do a smaller version of Christmas brunch for the two of us.
That sounds very romantic!!!

Do you have a favorite Mojitos recipe????

Old 12-16-2008, 11:27 AM

10,153 posts, read 10,358,324 times
LOL no but am making some Arroz con Pollo today YUM

PS-He's a black label drinker so no mojitos here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte