U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Pedestrian threats, intentionally stepping in front of bike on Beatties Ford, pedestrian or bike friendly, bike muggings, public transportation, safe bike travels, car alternative

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 03:03 PM

751 posts, read 2,420,373 times

Advertisements

lhrs -- oh, no. i feel so bad for you. i don't have any suggestions, but i will tell you this. i've driven convertibles for eight years, and there was a time i felt convertible with the top down in most places in charlotte. but now i am very, very careful when and where i have the top down. seen, heard, and experienced too much, and it really doesn't matter if it's broad daylight or not.

good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 03:13 PM

35,488 posts, read 43,333,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
lhrs -- oh, no. i feel so bad for you. i don't have any suggestions, but i will tell you this. i've driven convertibles for eight years, and there was a time i felt convertible with the top down in most places in charlotte. but now i am very, very careful when and where i have the top down. seen, heard, and experienced too much, and it really doesn't matter if it's broad daylight or not.

good luck!
Agree w/ you. I used to drive a convertible in Charlotte and even leave it in the parking lot of Southpark mall w/ the lid down 25 years ago. Never had anyone touch a thing. No way in hell I would do that today. Someone would vandalize if nothing else - as in - dump a cup a cup of Coke w/ ice in it - (wh/ actually happened to a friend of mine while parked only briefly outside a pharmacy).

Just too many thugs and vandals out there. I think this is not exclusive to Charlotte, however. I think all cities have their areas that you just don't wanna go . .. and where you better not be riding a bike or driving a convertible.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:52 PM

2,562 posts, read 3,947,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And . . . may I add . . . I think other CLT "longtimers" will agree . . . that particular spot where LHRS is having trouble . . . has been the hood forever. So this is not a declining area . . . it has been crappy for the last 50 years.
ani - That's part of the problem with Charlotte. 99 & 44/100ths % of it are so nice looking that it's hard to tell what and where the "bad parts" that are "obvious", to a long-time Charlottean really are, when you are a newcomer. In the Northeast, many of the small to medium cities are pretty far gone, so when you see a area that looks like "Dresden after the Allied bombing", you "know" it's a crappy area. In Charlotte, a crappy area might be considered a "bit downtrodden" by Northeastern standards but not necessarily an unsafe area. In essense, our "old crappy areas" are much worse than Charlotte's. I might be driving in the same area as LHRS and be totally oblivious as to whether it's a good or bad place to be.

I also feel for LHRS, in that when you have to get to any particular place there are relatively few alternative routes to get there. The other day I was coming back from my doctor's office on W4th St and the traffic was too heavy to make a left-hand turn. Somehow, I ended up on Providence Rd and decided to go home that way. There was an accident at the corner of Providence and a fairly big intersection. I figured I'd go around it by going down a side street and getting past it. Well, all of those side streets are roundabout places to nowhere and I ended up back where I started and then was detoured by a cop down a road that was populated by older suburban McMansions and I came out on a road back near the hospital. Charlotte seems to be a giant suburb that managed to morph into a city! Parts of it are simultaneously "suburban paradises" and "commuting nightmares".

Old 12-17-2008, 05:00 PM

2,349 posts, read 2,355,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani - That's part of the problem with Charlotte. 99 & 44/100ths % of it are so nice looking that it's hard to tell what and where the "bad parts" that are "obvious", to a long-time Charlottean really are, when you are a newcomer.
I was just telling a friend that! I live between Plaza-Midwood & NoDa - the particular street I live on is relatively safe & quiet, but cross the road & I won't even walk my dog over there! There are little pockets of scariness here & there. Overall, I feel safe though - could be because of my giant black barking dog!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:42 PM

22,021 posts, read 39,714,926 times
I never had a issue going from Beatties Ford from uptown to Huntersville riding on the scooter that I also have during the last two summers. It not as bad as some are making it and I dont even fit the general ethnic makeup of the area and still no issues.
BTW riding a scooter is awesome way to check out the skyline.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:23 PM
LLN
Status: "If you keep looking back, you can't move forward" (set 12 days ago)

3,595 posts, read 4,396,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I never had a issue going from Beatties Ford from uptown to Huntersville riding on the scooter that I also have during the last two summers. It not as bad as some are making it .....
Well, each to his own, but my experience is certainly different and more like the main sentiment of this thread. When I lived in Abbington Woods, BFR was the natural way to get into Charlotte (I worked a block from the square). While I was never harassed in the area that many have spoken of, I very, very rarely passed that way without witnessing something mondo bizarre happening. My driving style and cynical attitude would have put folks that jumped out toward my car at extreme risk, but I tell you, that place was wierd and to my way of thinking VERY DANGEROUS.

We did have neighbors that would not even drive between I-85 and Trade on BFR. Just sayin'

lln

Old 12-17-2008, 10:23 PM

2,562 posts, read 3,947,077 times
Well, now that I know that area is dangerous, if I ever have someone spitefully jump in front of my car, they'll end up being my new hood ornament! I won't bother calling the cops either, I don't have 20 minutes to wait until they show up. Like Kathy Bates in "Fried Green Tomatoes", I'm older, crankier and have a lot of insurance!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:46 PM

44,884 posts, read 56,395,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Loves I understand what Em is saying. Newark and Detroit have/had extremely beautiful desirable areas and Newark still does(very few) but at one time it was the place to live and it was all very nice. My mom grew up in Newark(70 years ago) when it was truly a great place. I worked there briefly about 7 years ago and for the first few months I would cry driving into the office, it was a scary place but it was once one of the nicest parts of town. It just seems the police could not get a handle on things and then it was too late. Charlotte is a beautiful city but from what I have read on here about the revolving door for criminals, it does have me concerned. Newark could be a great city with it's proximity to NYC and right on the water, you can see it must have been a pretty grand place.
I understand what you are saying, but that is just so different from Charlotte's history and future.

Charlotte was begun at the point at which two indian trading paths crossed each other. Our uptown/downtown has always been a place for trademen then later, retail and banks. It was perhaps desirable to live in during the days of horse and buggy, but never a "giant" among cities. Charlotte has grown a desirable place to live very deliberately and steady for well over 100 years. Until 15 years ago they still rolled up the sidewalks of uptown at 5 pm, and you'd barely see another soul if you ventured there on weekends except to go to church.

As Charlotte continues to "grow up" the vast majority of areas surrounding the uptown perimeter have grown and improved with it. Sure there are some areas lagging behind but you don't see real blight anywhere. I guess what I am trying to say is that the good far outweighs the bad - and in ANY city where you find a population of uneducated and economically disadvantaged you will find pockets like our OP found to ride his bike thru. This does not concern me unless we were to see THOSE areas grow and spread and they just aren't. The opposite is happening - they are being overtaken bit by bit by regentrification, growth and development. The future of uptown Charlotte is very bright in my opinion

We do, however, need to get a handle on the 400 or so career criminals and thugs branching out all over the metro area to commit their crimes. It is very frustrating to see this happening, but I don't think it's too late to turn this fairly recent phenononem around.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 12-17-2008 at 10:58 PM..

Old 12-18-2008, 07:41 AM

15 posts, read 19,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I never had a issue going from Beatties Ford from uptown to Huntersville riding on the scooter that I also have during the last two summers. It not as bad as some are making it and I dont even fit the general ethnic makeup of the area and still no issues.
BTW riding a scooter is awesome way to check out the skyline.
until my 3 bad experiences, i echo your sentiments exactly.

i am generally a terminal optimist and generally believe that people are basically good.
i have to say that i'm rewriting my constitution on that one.

i certainly hope you don't have any trouble going thru there.
i would recommend riding with a car 30ft in front of you and another 30ft behind you to discourage people from jumping out in front of you.
also, i'd do whatever i could do to keep from having to stop at any of the lights.

i have ridden thru late at night and never seen a soul, never had any issue.
my problems have arisen when the area is fully alive.

at any rate, i'd like to say that i didn't post this to disparage charlotte.
i've been in this area my whole life and i love being in the carolinas.

Last edited by lhrs; 12-18-2008 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: additions

Old 12-18-2008, 07:44 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,249,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I understand what you are saying, but that is just so different from Charlotte's history and future.

Charlotte was begun at the point at which two indian trading paths crossed each other. Our uptown/downtown has always been a place for trademen then later, retail and banks. It was perhaps desirable to live in during the days of horse and buggy, but never a "giant" among cities. Charlotte has grown a desirable place to live very deliberately and steady for well over 100 years. Until 15 years ago they still rolled up the sidewalks of uptown at 5 pm, and you'd barely see another soul if you ventured there on weekends except to go to church.

As Charlotte continues to "grow up" the vast majority of areas surrounding the uptown perimeter have grown and improved with it. Sure there are some areas lagging behind but you don't see real blight anywhere. I guess what I am trying to say is that the good far outweighs the bad - and in ANY city where you find a population of uneducated and economically disadvantaged you will find pockets like our OP found to ride his bike thru. This does not concern me unless we were to see THOSE areas grow and spread and they just aren't. The opposite is happening - they are being overtaken bit by bit by regentrification, growth and development. The future of uptown Charlotte is very bright in my opinion

We do, however, need to get a handle on the 400 or so career criminals and thugs branching out all over the metro area to commit their crimes. It is very frustrating to see this happening, but I don't think it's too late to turn this fairly recent phenononem around.
Thank you Loves for clearing that up for me. I do not know Charlottes history and I have never lived in a city/urban environment. Like others have posted most of Charlotte looks so nice it is hard to tell if it is a bad neighborhood or not. If I know some place is less then desirable I certainly would not ride my bike/scooter through it. That is just not a safe thing to do.
I don't think anyone would disagree that something needs to be done ASAP about these thugs roaming the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte