Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:55 AM

414 posts, read 1,277,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
I never heard of these type of home invasions before I moved down here. I find it strange that people say it is typical?? Doesn't make me want to have a gun in my home though...but it does make me nervous!

This is definitely not unique to this area. The same thing just happened to my mother in the middle of rural, Ohio farmland. An area with a crime rate so low, it's almost non-existant. It was 1:00 in the afternoon. Luckily she created enough of a stir that they bailed. That area has been bombarded with home invasions.

This is becoming a National Epidemic, not just a local Charlotte problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 08:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Several things to consider.

Crime has changed here in the CLT burbs in the last 2 years, b/c the criminal has changed. Traditionally, robberies were done during the day, b/n hours of 10am - 3 pm, b/c thieves knew people were gone. They staked out the house, knew the routine, broke in and were gone quickly.

The average robbery takes less than 10 mins, start to finish.

In the past, thieves did NOT carry guns b/c that is an automatic felony. In addition, entering a house w/ the occupants in it was a no no - as that is also a felony.

But things changed . . . we have a whole group of thugs under 25 and most are under 21 y/o. They are brazen, they think they are gangstas, and the whole MO has changed. These thugs typically steal a car first . . . then go to a middle to upper income neighborhood - houses around $350,000 and up. They carry guns. They kick in the doors in broad daylight. It appears in many cases, they have NOT cased the particular house - they go to the door, ring the bell, if no one answers - kick the door down. They just see a house that looks available and crash in.

Also, robbers used to work solo or w/ one other guy. These young thugs tend to travel in a pack of three or four. Not always, but that seems to be a trend the last 2 years in many of these more upscale break-ins.

In two cases wh/ were reported on the news stations this past year . . . the thugs actually TALKED to the owners who came home and found their houses being ransacked. First case, an exec returning home parked his car in the driveway and realized his door was partly opened, got out of his car, went to the door and was shoved aside by a thug, who told him to move back. Owner protested and was told if he didn't move, he would be shot. Owner moved out of way as two thugs carried out his plasma TV . . . nothing he could do but dial 911 but the thugs were gone and since they were driving a stolen car . . . they ditched the car and were not apprehended.

Second event - woman comes home and realizes gate is not closed, sees her electric meter is torn from house - and then as it dawns on her a robbery is in progress, she tries to get away from the house and one of the thugs comes out . . . she yells "what are you doing" (or something along those lines) and the thugs yells back "Robbing your (expletive) house." Nothing she could do but get out of their way and dial 911.

Now those are not urban legends. These are but two documented occurrences from this past year.

So the typical burglar of the past is not what concerns me. I am sure there are still "old school" thieves around, LOL. But it is these brazen, arrogant gangsta wannabes who worry me. They are angry and feel they have the RIGHT to rip off your electronic equipment cause you are THE MAN and you have a nice home and nice stuff in it . . . including cars. Some of these creeps have broken into houses, found the car keys (or coerced the homeowner to hand over their car keys) . . . and made off w/ their vehicles, as well. Loaded up the vehicle w/ the homeowner's belongings.

So what can we as homeowners DO?

Good question. Get a good alarm system. They are cutting wires and tearing out electric meters so have one w/ a backup, not just phone connection. But even then, the thugs will be gone by the time PD gets there (most likely). At least if you are in the home, you will know the thugs will get out of there quickly when they realize PD is on the way.

Keep your blinds shut so thugs cannot see your possessions.

Yes, a dog is a good thing but these thugs have been shooting dogs and in some cases, ripping off the dogs.

As I am typing this, I had to stop - b/c my alarm on my SUV started blaring! DH came running from his office but I already had the Beretta in my hand, throwing the safety off, and was at the door b/f he arrived. Now talk about freaky, since I was writing about break-ins. We have no clue why the alarm went off. DH walked the property while I stayed in the house (someone could smash in the back while we were out walking around the house!) There is a Van parked up at the neighbors (work crew) but nothing else suspicious in the neighborhood. Had someone come crashing in that door, they would have been met w/ me and the Beretta and I would not have hesitated using it. If you are unsure about being able to use a firearm (think you will hesitate) DO NOT GET ONE.

There has been no crime in my neighborhood, but the way I see it . . . better to be prepared than be a victim.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:47 AM

98 posts, read 220,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Several things to consider.

Crime has changed here in the CLT burbs in the last 2 years, b/c the criminal has changed. Traditionally, robberies were done during the day, b/n hours of 10am - 3 pm, b/c thieves knew people were gone. They staked out the house, knew the routine, broke in and were gone quickly.

The average robbery takes less than 10 mins, start to finish.

In the past, thieves did NOT carry guns b/c that is an automatic felony. In addition, entering a house w/ the occupants in it was a no no - as that is also a felony.

But things changed . . . we have a whole group of thugs under 25 and most are under 21 y/o. They are brazen, they think they are gangstas, and the whole MO has changed. These thugs typically steal a car first . . . then go to a middle to upper income neighborhood - houses around $350,000 and up. They carry guns. They kick in the doors in broad daylight. It appears in many cases, they have NOT cased the particular house - they go to the door, ring the bell, if no one answers - kick the door down. They just see a house that looks available and crash in.

Also, robbers used to work solo or w/ one other guy. These young thugs tend to travel in a pack of three or four. Not always, but that seems to be a trend the last 2 years in many of these more upscale break-ins.

In two cases wh/ were reported on the news stations this past year . . . the thugs actually TALKED to the owners who came home and found their houses being ransacked. First case, an exec returning home parked his car in the driveway and realized his door was partly opened, got out of his car, went to the door and was shoved aside by a thug, who told him to move back. Owner protested and was told if he didn't move, he would be shot. Owner moved out of way as two thugs carried out his plasma TV . . . nothing he could do but dial 911 but the thugs were gone and since they were driving a stolen car . . . they ditched the car and were not apprehended.

Second event - woman comes home and realizes gate is not closed, sees her electric meter is torn from house - and then as it dawns on her a robbery is in progress, she tries to get away from the house and one of the thugs comes out . . . she yells "what are you doing" (or something along those lines) and the thugs yells back "Robbing your (expletive) house." Nothing she could do but get out of their way and dial 911.

Now those are not urban legends. These are but two documented occurrences from this past year.

So the typical burglar of the past is not what concerns me. I am sure there are still "old school" thieves around, LOL. But it is these brazen, arrogant gangsta wannabes who worry me. They are angry and feel they have the RIGHT to rip off your electronic equipment cause you are THE MAN and you have a nice home and nice stuff in it . . . including cars. Some of these creeps have broken into houses, found the car keys (or coerced the homeowner to hand over their car keys) . . . and made off w/ their vehicles, as well. Loaded up the vehicle w/ the homeowner's belongings.

So what can we as homeowners DO?

Good question. Get a good alarm system. They are cutting wires and tearing out electric meters so have one w/ a backup, not just phone connection. But even then, the thugs will be gone by the time PD gets there (most likely). At least if you are in the home, you will know the thugs will get out of there quickly when they realize PD is on the way.

Keep your blinds shut so thugs cannot see your possessions.

Yes, a dog is a good thing but these thugs have been shooting dogs and in some cases, ripping off the dogs.

As I am typing this, I had to stop - b/c my alarm on my SUV started blaring! DH came running from his office but I already had the Beretta in my hand, throwing the safety off, and was at the door b/f he arrived. Now talk about freaky, since I was writing about break-ins. We have no clue why the alarm went off. DH walked the property while I stayed in the house (someone could smash in the back while we were out walking around the house!) There is a Van parked up at the neighbors (work crew) but nothing else suspicious in the neighborhood. Had someone come crashing in that door, they would have been met w/ me and the Beretta and I would not have hesitated using it. If you are unsure about being able to use a firearm (think you will hesitate) DO NOT GET ONE.

There has been no crime in my neighborhood, but the way I see it . . . better to be prepared than be a victim.

Nail on head...

There have been multiple home invasions in my community that shall remain nameless, I work from home, I DO carry, God bless them if they kick in my door while I am home, cause they WILL meet there maker!

I agree 100%, if your not up to taking a life, then don't, I repeat, don't have a gun sitting around..You must be mentally prepared to use it, you must practice at the range and know how to use it under pressure. You can make NO mistakes when your dealing with guns...

Also, this time of year brings the thugs out more than ever! The knowledge of all those presents under someones tree is like crack for the soul...Be prepared folks...

Old 12-18-2008, 10:21 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
And remember if thugs do break into your house, aim low & spare the artwork.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:49 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
John: the type of things these young thugs are after appears to be electronics - flat screen tvs, gaming systems, lap tops. Also - jewelry. The top thing appears to be large plasma tvs.

The old school thieves are doing what they have always done all over the country - anything easy to carry off. They don't seem to be as interested in having to dismantle TVs from walls. Plus, if it is a solo thief, that is not the easiest thing to do - remove a 60" plasma and carry out . . .

Old 12-18-2008, 12:07 PM

24 posts, read 64,415 times
They better not come to my house unless they want to get licked to death! (by my dog Hamp Hendrix, not me...lol)

Old 12-18-2008, 01:26 PM

20 posts, read 42,364 times
To keep the bad guys out...since nc has nice weather, bring your gun out... and shine it in the front porsch... thats how my in law friend did it. Shoot a bird or somthing... They got broke in twice even with an alarm system. Mostly just bad neighborhood.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:02 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 886,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
And remember if thugs do break into your house, aim low & spare the artwork.
I just took a course in Concealed Carry this past weekend. A good part of the course covered the NC laws re self-defense and the use of deadly force. In fact, that part accounted for a good 2 hrs of the 7-hr class. We also spent another 45 mins or so on the firing range, for qualification.

The NC laws are a bit strange, IMO: if a thug is beating down your door, you can shoot him - through the door, even. But once he is inside your home, you can only shoot if you think he's going to kill or severely assault you. So if he's in your house and he has grabbed your stereo, you would not be justified in shooting him. The NRA instructors emphasized that, if you shoot and kill/wound the guy, the police *will* book you for homicide. They may let you go later, but be prepared to ride to the police station in the back of a police cruiser first.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:57 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzd View Post
I just took a course in Concealed Carry this past weekend. A good part of the course covered the NC laws re self-defense and the use of deadly force. In fact, that part accounted for a good 2 hrs of the 7-hr class. We also spent another 45 mins or so on the firing range, for qualification.

The NC laws are a bit strange, IMO: if a thug is beating down your door, you can shoot him - through the door, even. But once he is inside your home, you can only shoot if you think he's going to kill or severely assault you. So if he's in your house and he has grabbed your stereo, you would not be justified in shooting him. The NRA instructors emphasized that, if you shoot and kill/wound the guy, the police *will* book you for homicide. They may let you go later, but be prepared to ride to the police station in the back of a police cruiser first.
I wouldn't bother calling the cops, who wants to wait forever for them to show up. Just stick the body in a large trash bag using your requisite latex gloves (which you should have anyway, if you're a gun owner) and drop them off in SC! By the time CSI:Rock Hill figures out "who done it", you'll have been in the cemetery or a nursing home for a good,long time!

Old 12-18-2008, 03:46 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I wouldn't bother calling the cops, who wants to wait forever for them to show up. Just stick the body in a large trash bag using your requisite latex gloves (which you should have anyway, if you're a gun owner) and drop them off in SC! By the time CSI:Rock Hill figures out "who done it", you'll have been in the cemetery or a nursing home for a good,long time!
I'm not sure if this was said in humor or not but I am certain that IF you should do this you will never get the homoside charge dismissed if you are caught.

I spend a good deal of time in a 3rd world country and that's kind of the way the police of the country handle the citizens they don't like. But, that is a country that does not live by the rule of law. Last time I checked I think we're still living with the rule of law here in the U.S.and I'm not quite sure I want to shoot, kill and then drag that baby out to the town dump. Doesn't sound right to me, and besides I don't know my way around CLT and would probably get stopped by the cops for erratic driving.LOL
je
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte