Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:38 PM

444 posts, read 1,648,674 times

Advertisements

We have sold our house and I find that over the 42 years of marriage I have collected alot of "STUFF" that I just haven't been able to part with because of who gave it to me, etc.. We are moving to a much smaller house with storage limited and now is the time to get rid of my STUFF.

What sources have you used to rid yourself of STUFF that you couldn't part with over the years or do you still have everything?

Look forward to hearing from you all!!!

Dunroven

Old 04-30-2008, 04:47 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post
We have sold our house and I find that over the 42 years of marriage I have collected alot of "STUFF" that I just haven't been able to part with because of who gave it to me, etc.. We are moving to a much smaller house with storage limited and now is the time to get rid of my STUFF.

What sources have you used to rid yourself of STUFF that you couldn't part with over the years or do you still have everything?

Dunroven
I'm doing pretty much the same thing. Pull out family stuff that you no longer want, or can't use. Give it to family members. They'd be getting it eventually, anyway.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:27 PM

168 posts, read 480,885 times
Wink My Stuff has Stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post

Dunroven
If you haven't used it in 2 years throw it out! We had 2 yard/garage sales,
gave things away to friends and family. Donated to Thrift stores.

F.Y.I. I am in the same boat,we are relocating to a home that is half the size. Most of my things are in storage, and i dont miss it!
Letting go is the hardest thing to do in life.... but neccessary! Good luck!
P.S. Do not save this msg!

Old 04-30-2008, 06:34 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Caigs list is a great way you can sell it or give it away

Old 04-30-2008, 06:37 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
If you have any bookshelves you need to get rid of, I will be glad to buy them off of you! My principal is making 19 of our 25 teachers move classrooms. I am losing a TON of storage space!!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:00 PM

55 posts, read 210,978 times
When we moved after 21 years in the same place we faced similar problems. We donated a huge amount of stuff to charity, sold a few items on Ebay and gave some to our relatives if they wanted it. Items with sentimental value are more difficult, but it can usually be narrowed down to 2-3 of the most special ones. Charities and other avenues such as Ebay and Craigslist can be helpul. Good Luck.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:48 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
When we moved from Pittsburgh to Charlotte we gave away a garage full of "stuff".

Old 04-30-2008, 07:58 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
Neighborhood church was having a bazzar, I passed and inquire if they could utilize some items. The pastor and crew followed me home and took the bookcases, kitchen set, television and computer desk. I sold my living room and bedroom set at a cheap value. The key is to get rid of it fast. All the other stuff went to my nephew. He has just gotten his first apartment a couple of weeks before I left NY. Since I moved with practically nothing, I gave him everything else. I feel like my stuff went to a great home with people who wanted them.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:04 PM

22 posts, read 43,241 times
Default Help the local community!

There are always charitable organizations who will take your donations and get them to needy families and individuals. Some charitable groups re-sell items and use the proceeds to fund needed services. Good luck!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:04 PM

529 posts, read 1,978,548 times
You could consider donating it to a crisis assistance type place. There are a lot of places like Goodwill that will even pick it up from your home. Craigslist is also a great place to list stuff like someone said earlier. Try having someone that is not emotionally attached to your stuff help you sort through it. They might be able to talk you out of some things you may not really need to keep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte