Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 02:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Last time I heard most black people aren't on welfare, if that's what you're trying to imply. Most black people aren't committing crimes either. It's funny how racists and American society in general think black people are one homogeneous race of people, where all blacks listen to rap, do drugs, commit crime, and live in housing projects. It also funny how closet racists will never express their bonehead thoughts in public.... Do you absolutely believe any self respecting, hard working black person, or anyone for that matter, are out here promoting crime?
Do you have some hidden agenda? Cause I did not even imply that I believe mostly black people are on welfare. Indeed, I never used the word "welfare" at all! But it is a FACT - the home invasions we are having here are overwhelmingly being committed by young black males under the age of 25. But since you don't live here, you don't have the FACTS. I am very concerned as to WHY these kids are angry and anti-social, dropping out of school and committing crimes. I would be concerned regardless of what color they are, but the facts are the facts!!!! And we need to get to the root causes of their anti-social behavior and why they have chosen this lifestyle.

No one of ANY race is "promoting crime" - and why you would state that is ridiculous!

If you have something to add to the discussion - write on. Otherwise, please stay on your own forum where you perhaps have a better understanding of what is going on in your own city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You are putting words in Ani's mouth in a pathetic attempt to inflame this discussion. She did not say any of what you have accused her of. Please stop this - she is trying to have a serious discussion - it does not have to become ugly.
Thanks, Love. I appreciate your attempts to try to keep this discussion on track. It is an important discussion!

Old 12-26-2008, 02:10 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Thanks, Love. I appreciate your attempts to try to keep this discussion on track. It is an important discussion!

No problem, I know you too well to listen to falsehoods stated about you.

What do you think of what I wrote about the situation in Costa Rica?

Old 12-26-2008, 02:20 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I see the closet racists are coming out in full force. Even the mod Sunnykayak has contributed. I thought this was about state budget?
I could (like a lot of people) say a lot more on the current topic (which is something very different than the original topic), but I'll just say this. There isn't anyone here that's posted so far that has said anything that even remotely warrants the label racist. In fact it's an almost laughable label because it's so overused (and misapplied).

Old 12-26-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
No problem, I know you too well to listen to falsehoods stated about you.

What do you think of what I wrote about the situation in Costa Rica?
I found it fascinating! Our drop out rate is atrocious in this country. We give people every opportunity to get an education - including "alternative" schools and GED prep.

People drop out here . . . and they don't care if they are employable.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
I found it fascinating! Our drop out rate is atrocious in this country. We give people every opportunity to get an education - including "alternative" schools and GED prep.

People drop out here . . . and they don't care if they are employable.
I think that young people who drop out are sometimes clueless as to how many ways they have limited their futures - when they do realize it it is often very difficult to go back and correct that mistake. By then they have kids themselves and welfare becomes a way of life. But this country is changing...it is getting harder and harder to make a real living with just a high school education at a bare minimum. Drop outs have almost no hope, unless you are Brittney Spears

So I see the challenge as one of inspiring everyone toward more education or certification in fields where you can have a real career, not just a job. Parents are the first line of defense in keeping a kid in school - they HAVE to step up more often and do their job better.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:48 PM

According to the report linked below (April, 2008) the graduation rate in our Charlotte system is 59.8%.

http://www.americaspromise.org/uploadedFiles/AmericasPromiseAlliance/Dropout_Crisis/SWANSONCitiesInCrisis040108.pdf (broken link)

How anyone could think that is acceptable is just beyond me . . . and the sad part is, most of the USA has even WORSE graduation rates.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:54 PM

So, anyone from Asheville or Boone reading? What would the "wish list" be for tax money being better allocated for improvements in your area? Bridge repair? Roads? Additional money for police force? More money for natural resources - water and land management? Forestry?

I had read that our western part of the state has a lot of bridges that are in dire need of repair.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:00 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
So, anyone from Asheville or Boone reading? What would the "wish list" be for tax money being better allocated for improvements in your area? Bridge repair? Roads? Additional money for police force? More money for natural resources - water and land management? Forestry?

I had read that our western part of the state has a lot of bridges that are in dire need of repair.
You know, this thread has been very good. I have to admit I am not up to speed at the political issues relative to fund allocation in NC. My MIL who is a native NC from the New Bern area could probably tell me a lot but this thread has been helpful in order to understand the issues in our new home state.

Thanks and let the good times roll on!

Old 12-26-2008, 03:03 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times
Quote:
You are putting words in Ani's mouth in a pathetic attempt to inflame this discussion. She did not say any of what you have accused her of. Please stop this - she is trying to have a serious discussion - it does not have to become ugly.
This discussion became inflamed, when race became the prime subject. How do you expect someone to react when their family and friends work their tail off to get the most out of life, and someone from the opposite race lumps them in with a bunch of criminals. I get exactly the point Urbanplanet was trying to make, too bad too many people are unable to empathize the socio-economic problems of people who have just begun to attain human rights in this country... Pat McCrory dug his own hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte