U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 01:50 PM

35,610 posts, read 43,927,551 times

Advertisements

I don't think the newcomers understand the politics in this state well enuff to fully comprehend what it means that we have voted in so many DEMS to elected office this past Nov.

Historically, this state is divided down the middle, w/ eastern DEMs making sure that the western part of this state gets screwed on any major issue, w/ roads being the # 1 bone of contention.

A two party system has been essential in this state, and we desperately needed a GOP Gov this go round to balance things out and to see that the Good Old Boys in the state house and senate didn't appropriate all the funds to their pet projects in the eastern part of this state.

For those of you who don't understand what is gonna happen - or don't believe the history I have alluded to - just sit back and watch, as Charlotte, and indeed, every county in the western part of this state, gets screwed on major projects in the coming years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 02:04 PM

2,447 posts, read 4,787,743 times
Yes, Charlotte is often viewed negatively by other North Carolinians. Thus the nickname "the great state of Mecklenburg". FYI for newcomers, that's not a compliment.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:06 PM

35,610 posts, read 43,927,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Yes, Charlotte is often viewed negatively by other North Carolinians. Thus the nickname "the great state of Mecklenburg". FYI for newcomers, that's not a compliment.
What concerns me at this point is - we generate the most tax revenue - but you watch - our road projects are gonna get the shaft.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:12 PM

414 posts, read 875,481 times
Amen sister, I heard straight from the horse's mouth, Mr. McCrory, that part of the reason Charlotte lacks the monies for specific projects and issues is because they constantly have to use city generated money for our STATE roads here in Charlotte.

No offense to anyone, but why in the HELL would some of these much smaller towns in the middle of nowhere be getting more money to build roads than the largest metropolis between DC and Atlanta? It's real simple, jealousy and good ol' boy networking. It's not that we are the ugly stepchild, but more of we are the shining star that others are jealous of. I just don't get it. Our success only helps NC.

Our state really missed an opportunity to rectify things in this past election. Unfortunately, too many uninformed voters, made the decision. Sad.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:26 PM

1,797 posts, read 3,907,537 times
Interesting.
I've also heard Raleigh called a few rotten names by Charlotte and Greensboro residents. (Can't recall what the names were, unfortunately.)

I've also heard Fayetteville referred to as "Fayette-Nam".

Can't all you North Carolinians just get along?

Funny, most New Jerseyans pretty much agree (across the board, all counties and cities) that NJ is a terribly corrupt state. Not sure anyone is doing anything about it, though. (And the corruption doesn't change or end, no matter which party is "in charge".)

Just an aside. I know there is a general feeling that the influx of Northerners changed this state from Red to Blue, but I can assure you that most of my friends "up North" are deep red Republicans....just sayin...

Old 12-18-2008, 02:33 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,158,394 times
A true historian will know that the south succeeded from the union mainly because of unjust taxes on its citizenry that provided three quarters of tax revenue to Washington prior to the civil war. Not only did the south (Virginia, Carolinas, and Georgia) provide most of this revenue, but got nothing in return. The south literally sat back and watched Washington build railroads, industries, schools, city infrastructure, and generally use our southern money to build the north. I suppose this is happening in North Carolina now. Mecklenburg provides the revenue and the eastern part of the state enjoys it. It even reminds me of the big three motor companies in Michigan. They have made billions off of customers for decades and now that times are bad, those that have overpaid for mediocre cars will be paying for their bailout with the hard earned tax dollas we have paid. Where is the fairness?

Old 12-18-2008, 02:38 PM

414 posts, read 875,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
A true historian will know that the south succeeded from the union mainly because of unjust taxes on its citizenry that provided three quarters of tax revenue to Washington prior to the civil war. Not only did the south (Virginia, Carolinas, and Georgia) provide most of this revenue, but got nothing in return. The south literally sat back and watched Washington build railroads, industries, schools, city infrastructure, and generally use our southern money to build the north. I suppose this is happening in North Carolina now. Mecklenburg provides the revenue and the eastern part of the state enjoys it. It even reminds me of the big three motor companies in Michigan. They have made billions off of customers for decades and now that times are bad, those that have overpaid for mediocre cars will be paying for their bailout with the hard earned tax dollas we have paid. Where is the fairness?
So...do you think SC would claim us if we succeed from NC?

Old 12-18-2008, 03:38 PM

13,200 posts, read 13,265,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't think the newcomers understand the politics in this state well enuff to fully comprehend what it means that we have voted in so many DEMS to elected office this past Nov.

Historically, this state is divided down the middle, w/ eastern DEMs making sure that the western part of this state gets screwed on any major issue, w/ roads being the # 1 bone of contention.

A two party system has been essential in this state, and we desperately needed a GOP Gov this go round to balance things out and to see that the Good Old Boys in the state house and senate didn't appropriate all the funds to their pet projects in the eastern part of this state.

For those of you who don't understand what is gonna happen - or don't believe the history I have alluded to - just sit back and watch, as Charlotte, and indeed, every county in the western part of this state, gets screwed on major projects in the coming years.
Ani, does this go all the way back to colonial times? I know that the eastern part of the state was settled differently than the rest.

It's a similar situation with tax money in NJ, although the majority does live in the north. It was the reason that the southern counties had a secession question on the ballots back in the 80s & the only reason that it didn't succeed is that Trenton took it off the ballots.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:54 PM

615 posts, read 1,132,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
So...do you think SC would claim us if we succeed from NC?
A quibble ... it is secede! Not succeed!

Old 12-18-2008, 04:52 PM

2,565 posts, read 3,987,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Interesting.
I've also heard Raleigh called a few rotten names by Charlotte and Greensboro residents. (Can't recall what the names were, unfortunately.)

I've also heard Fayetteville referred to as "Fayette-Nam".

Can't all you North Carolinians just get along?

Funny, most New Jerseyans pretty much agree (across the board, all counties and cities) that NJ is a terribly corrupt state. Not sure anyone is doing anything about it, though. (And the corruption doesn't change or end, no matter which party is "in charge".)

Just an aside. I know there is a general feeling that the influx of Northerners changed this state from Red to Blue, but I can assure you that most of my friends "up North" are deep red Republicans....just sayin...
stmaarten - I see Charlotteans as being a bunch of weenies when it comes to dealing with Raleigh. Too much money and power is sent back or ceded to Raleigh. After having lived outside of Raleigh, I'm very familar with the attitude of people in the Raleigh area towards Charlotte. It's not too good! It was described for me by a local Raleigh grand dame, kind of in the same way as the famous Bette Davis quote "What A Dump". Before I ever came for a visit, my impressions of Charlotte after talking with Raleigh people was that it was like Newark, only bigger, with more humidity. And that was from a couple of Raleigh guys that had actually been to Newark!

I'd like to be in charge of the money that Charlotte sends to Raleigh. I'll take the job for only 10% of Gloria Pace King's "meager" compensation! LOL. I'll do the accounting like the NJ Garbage Removal industry as follows:

$1 for Charlotte $1 for Raleigh
$1, $2 for Charlotte $2 for Raleigh
$1, $2, $3 for Charlotte $3 for Raleigh

etc.

Then you give those guys who want that Fayetteville Beltway a "Jersey Style vacation". You take them out on the "Queen C" about 25 miles off of Wilmington, chum the water and push them overboard. They'd get to meet "Big Pu$$y" and get to "sleep with the fishes". Oops! So sorry Fayetteville - good luck with that new election!

See, citizens of Charlotte - With a little "creative accounting" and a "push" in the right direction, you could have that last section of 485 done in no time at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte