U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-18-2008, 08:42 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,879 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Reputation: 8943

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
$1.49 at the Lake Wylie BP, just across the state line.
LOL, TY

I know what you mean about the difference in the real estate out here. No kids here, either.

The real estate tanked before I sold in Jersey. I've gotten a 3 bedroom foreclosure in Kings Mountain with a 70z248 ft lot, in the town. After I get it fixed up, I'll still have a good amount of money left as a pad.

I enjoy talking with the locals, too. I will have to go to Gastonia to get to Target & Kohl's, but just haven't been moved to do that, yet. The run to Shelby isn't bad at all, & I like the stores there. I'm happy to be out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2008, 10:42 PM
 
330 posts, read 931,907 times
Reputation: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, TY

I know what you mean about the difference in the real estate out here. No kids here, either.

The real estate tanked before I sold in Jersey. I've gotten a 3 bedroom foreclosure in Kings Mountain with a 70z248 ft lot, in the town. After I get it fixed up, I'll still have a good amount of money left as a pad.

I enjoy talking with the locals, too. I will have to go to Gastonia to get to Target & Kohl's, but just haven't been moved to do that, yet. The run to Shelby isn't bad at all, & I like the stores there. I'm happy to be out here.
The Target in Gastonia is probably the dirtiest one I have ever seen. However, I have heard that they are planning on putting a Super Target at the site of the now-demolished Gaston Mall. I have also heard that a Starbucks is going in there, but all of this was before the economic downturn, so I am not sure if these plans have been put on hold or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 10:55 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,879 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Reputation: 8943
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
The Target in Gastonia is probably the dirtiest one I have ever seen. However, I have heard that they are planning on putting a Super Target at the site of the now-demolished Gaston Mall. I have also heard that a Starbucks is going in there, but all of this was before the economic downturn, so I am not sure if these plans have been put on hold or not.
Thanks for the information. I'm surprised. I've never seen a dirty Target.

Maybe they'll have 2nd thoughts & bring a Target further out, when the economy gets better. People are coming from all over to the new Ingles, & all of the stores in Shelby that I've been in are nice, clean, stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 11:05 PM
 
1,367 posts, read 5,088,588 times
Reputation: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I always thought or felt Gastonia was like a suburb of Charlotte but I rarely see threads on that town is it because it blue collar? Is it desirable or is it another textile town wasteland?
It's funny, people seem awfully hard on textile towns around here! When I tell people I moved to Kannapolis they seem to think I'm crazy and give me that "oh, I'm sorry to hear that" look, but I really like it here and the house we got!

I don't know about Gastonia, but just remember that one person's textile town wasteland could be another person's desirable new neighborhood! It is odd though, I never hear Kannapolis being discussed here either, maybe these type of towns are just overlooked by "transplants" moving to this area; it seems like a lot of these forums focus on places where out-of-towners are looking to move to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 11:31 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,879 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Reputation: 8943
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
It's funny, people seem awfully hard on textile towns around here! When I tell people I moved to Kannapolis they seem to think I'm crazy and give me that "oh, I'm sorry to hear that" look, but I really like it here and the house we got!

I don't know about Gastonia, but just remember that one person's textile town wasteland could be another person's desirable new neighborhood! It is odd though, I never hear Kannapolis being discussed here either, maybe these type of towns are just overlooked by "transplants" moving to this area; it seems like a lot of these forums focus on places where out-of-towners are looking to move to.
I agree totally. As I admitted, I avoided Gastonia because of the crime factor. Doesn't mean there's none in Kings Mountain, but the PD is actively after them. I've seen posts where people have taken swipes at those of us who chose to move further out. I figure it's our choice, we knew where we were moving & if we're happy, so what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2008, 06:41 AM
 
569 posts, read 1,221,539 times
Reputation: 543
I'm curious to know what everyone thinks about the Historic area of Gastonia. I have been looking on Carolina home for awhile and it seems like you can get a older home in decent shape for anywhere between 140-200K. I'm talking specifically around the areas of 4th-9th st. I have not really been down there in a long time but this area seems to have some really nice old homes. In CLT with areas like this such as Plaza-Mid and Elizabeth the houses are easily double in price. I guess my question is "what gives"? Is this too good of a deal to be true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2008, 07:37 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Reputation: 22370
Gastonia used to be a lot nicer decades ago. And I think it is time for a resurgence and would love to see it happen.

I think it would be neat to be in on the early stages of revitalization. You just have to see what else is around any given house you might consider. I feel the same way about Rock Hill, SC. They have some lovely old homes in bad shape but they could really be beautiful - and the town is trying very hard to turn things around and bring in new businesses . . .

Gastonia has a good hospital and some decent businesses in the area. Yes, factories have closed down but it is a prime target for new businesses to move into the area. There is a work force there as well as buildings wh/ could be leased/refurbished . . .

I think that many people see Gastonia as full of "country people" and some would say "rednecks," but that is not the way I see Gastonia. There used to be some upscale restaurants and businesses there; the town has suffered b/c of economic situations - plant shutdowns. Ashbrook HS used to have good scores - have not checked them in years.

I think the area is ripe for improvement . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2008, 07:56 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,879 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Reputation: 8943
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Gastonia used to be a lot nicer decades ago. And I think it is time for a resurgence and would love to see it happen.

I think it would be neat to be in on the early stages of revitalization. You just have to see what else is around any given house you might consider. I feel the same way about Rock Hill, SC. They have some lovely old homes in bad shape but they could really be beautiful - and the town is trying very hard to turn things around and bring in new businesses . . .

Gastonia has a good hospital and some decent businesses in the area. Yes, factories have closed down but it is a prime target for new businesses to move into the area. There is a work force there as well as buildings wh/ could be leased/refurbished . . .

I think that many people see Gastonia as full of "country people" and some would say "rednecks," but that is not the way I see Gastonia. There used to be some upscale restaurants and businesses there; the town has suffered b/c of economic situations - plant shutdowns. Ashbrook HS used to have good scores - have not checked them in years.

I think the area is ripe for improvement . . .
I agree Ani, but since I was going to be living alone, I wasn't going to take the chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2008, 08:01 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I agree Ani, but since I was going to be living alone, I wasn't going to take the chance.
You did the right thing - also - your proximity to highways is so good.

I was really speaking to what Native 1 had written about the houses right in Gastonia and the potential for the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2008, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
2,447 posts, read 6,642,987 times
Reputation: 1389
Default I'm not sure why I feel the need to defend Gastonia :think:

It isn't a tiny town. I don't think its fair to paint the entire city with a broad brush. There is more to Gastonia than the downtown area and W. Franklin Blvd. The entire city isn't run down in fact some areas are seeing more new retail and restaurants despite the economy. Gaston Mall has been torn down and the site is being redeveloped.

Quote:
I think that many people see Gastonia as full of "country people" and some would say "rednecks," but that is not the way I see Gastonia.
I think the stereotypes about Gastonia (and Gaston county) are perpetuated by people that haven't spent much, if any, time in the city. I think some people hear"Gastonia" and think of a podunk town out in the sticks. As a mentioned in my pp, there many different education and income levels there. There are some very nice areas with plenty of middle class and "rich" families.

I think there are a lot of desirable areas in gastonia. IMO the lack of threads is about it is because most people are unfamiliar with the area. People come on the board asking "Where's a good place to live?". All things being equal, most people will recommend the area (or vicinity) that they live in. On this board that's usually Southwest Charlotte, South Charlotte or Union County. Not a lot of info about Gastonia is available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top