Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:10 PM

98 posts, read 245,997 times

Advertisements

I recently learned (via a MADD rep.) that in North Carolina DUI (among other) checkpoints are to be publicized before and during their occurence, by law due to the reduction in offenses that occur from the publicity. Does anyone know where I can find this info online? I have done several searches and all I can come up with are the after reports which show how many arrests were made, and several sites (like duiblock.com) which send text alerts to subscribers. Are they not placed on the ncdot or charmeck.org or in the Charlotte Observer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 09:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I am sorry - I am a bit confused. Are you trying to find out where to go online - to see the locations of checkpoints?

A press release, probably from the NC Highway Patrol Division regional office, is released to all news outlets to advise of any sobriety check points. I don't know that there would be any further info online anywhere until such a press release were distributed. If any organizations choose to place that info on their websites, it would be totally voluntary (i.e. MADD, CLT OBS, etc). I have no clue if the Highway Patrol itself posts the list on their website somewhere.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:33 PM

98 posts, read 245,997 times
Yes, exactly- I assumed they would be posted online, but can't find any sites that actually have them listed.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanky View Post
Yes, exactly- I assumed they would be posted online, but can't find any sites that actually have them listed.

Well, my understanding is . . . the checkpoints change all the time. They don't necessarily do the same intersection or stretch of road two times in a row. So until they have decided where the next ones will be . . .

Have they made an announcement that checkpoints are going to be in effect this weekend? Cause usually the media only announces the checkpoints 24 -48 hours or so in advance.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:56 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times
There are certain kinds of checkpoints. Any Law Enforcement agency can set up a 'safety' checkpoint aka license check anytime, anywhere, except for interstates.

What you are probably thinking of is a DUI checkpoint. These are publicized by the signs that read "DUI CHECKPOINT" as you approach the checkpoint, only a matter of feet away from the checkpoint itself. So if you are drunk, by the time you see the sign you are basically busted anyways.

Whats the difference between DUI and safety checkpoints? Not much really.

So, no there is no website to use so people can try to map their way around the police as they drive home intoxicated. That would kind of defeat the purpose.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:57 AM

535 posts, read 1,741,208 times
If you want an evening of fun the next time you roll up to a checkpoint slow, wait a bit then do a uturn and haul it out of there.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:35 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Better idea; if you are having a night of fun, take a cab or other public transportation and DO NOT DRIVE!!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 04:52 AM

540 posts, read 1,705,433 times
The is actually a Supreme Court case that states they DUI checkpoints must be publicized to protect our 4th ammendment rights against illegal search and seizure. Not sure how to "licence checks" circumvent that ruling though.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:57 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Not sure how I see a checkpoint as violating your right against illegal search and seizure. It's no different than 10 police cars parking on the side of the road and randomly pulling people over. A traffic stop is at the officer's discretion, and I would bet it near impossible to have anything dismissed simply because you felt a stop was unjust.

While I certainly feel there needs to be checks and balances in place to prevent police abuses, a license/sobriety check point is far from what I'd consider abusive.

I am actually dismayed and disgusted that there are services out there that tell you where DUI checkpoints are. When you consider that NC is 4th in the nation for alcohol related deaths, it seems insane that people feel they're doing a service protecting these cretins. I'm sure the family of the lady killed in Ballantyne earlier this week would agree.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:41 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
If you want an evening of fun the next time you roll up to a checkpoint slow, wait a bit then do a uturn and haul it out of there.
Ha! I've actually seen a few people do this. I guess they never thought that there would be other cops waiting for those attempting to avoid the checkpoints. The checkpoints aren't a big deal if you're sober and otherwise law abiding. The stop itself usually last less than one minute. I would say close to thirty seconds.They just make small talk and ask for your license. I'm sure they're trained to look for signs of intoxication or shady behavior. If there isn't a problem you are sent on your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte