U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:20 AM

20 posts, read 35,322 times

Advertisements

Hi all, i have been searching for a home online in the charlotte areas. I noticed most of the community homes has no tree in their backyards. Huge space without any tree. Are there any restrictions or it just people like it plane like that? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:26 AM

973 posts, read 2,964,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHLe View Post
Hi all, i have been searching for a home online in the charlotte areas. I noticed most of the community homes has no tree in their backyards. Huge space without any tree. Are there any restrictions or it just people like it plane like that? Thanks
You have to look in the right neighborhoods. There are many that have nice mature trees but often times, they are in older neighborhoods.

Builders find it easier to raze all the trees in thier developments before building. Ultimately, it leaves the area looking very sterile. Really, it's too bad since there are a lot of folks who prefer mature trees in their yard. Get out and drive around and you'll find them.

BTW, what parts of town are you looking in? Maybe some CD folks can give some suggestions of where to look.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:33 AM

569 posts, read 1,220,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHLe View Post
Charlotte has many areas with lots of trees. In order to get a lot with trees you would probably want to search for older neighborhoods. Not all but in many cases new home neighborhoods have a lack of trees. It also depends on what area in Charlotte you are considering. Charlotte is a fairly large city. I'm not sure if you have visited or not but the best thing to do would be to plan a short stay and take a drive around different parts of the city. There are many other factors that will affect your decision in where to buy. Price, schools, commute, taxes etc.. If you can provide more specific info we might be able to better address your questions.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:39 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,948,330 times
Builders have not cleared all trees in many new developments. They were simply big fields where cows grazed so there never were trees. If you buy a house w/o trees . . . it is easy enuff to plant some, LOL!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 AM

20 posts, read 35,322 times
I guess there are no restrictions on these new communities if you want to plan some trees yourself ha? Which town would you guys refer for good school system, houses range from 250-300K not more than 10 years old, with a 20-30 mins commute to downtown of charlotte? and nc university?

Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,156,110 times
This was also a concern of mine. I moved down here from New Hampshire which is covered with forest. When you move to the South, it takes some getting used to that most of the land has been cleared.

You can find some developments with lots of trees if you look hard enough. Most of the older ones from the 60's and 70's have good tree coverage. Of course, you will have to buy an older house though.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:44 AM

I am in S. CLT. Here is the view from my house. Took this picture earlier this week. As you can see, no lack of trees . . .

Old 12-19-2008, 07:46 AM

Backyard, taken in May, I believe:

Old 12-19-2008, 08:19 AM

630 posts, read 1,673,135 times
I like having a blank slate lot. That way I can plant quality trees that will be a better fit for the area that they are planted. The lots next to ours have some older trees but they have half dead looking oak trees that look ready to fall on the neighbors house during the next big storm.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
I like having a blank slate lot. That way I can plant quality trees that will be a better fit for the area that they are planted. The lots next to ours have some older trees but they have half dead looking oak trees that look ready to fall on the neighbors house during the next big storm.
Steve, we have cut over three dozen trees (saplings and what I call "trash trees" - volunteer cedars and sweetgum) out of our front and side yard! In the back, we have had to fell some large, half dead ones. When I say large, I am talking HUGE. You can see from my pictures what I am dealing with. There are literally woods in my back yard, w/ a creek. We are constantly pruning and thinning to get things healthy. I have a natural habitat back there and enjoy it very much, but it has been a LOT OF WORK - and I mean A LOT - over six years. I have hired people to come in and help w/ felling some of the trees, but we have done the majority on our own. So it is a lot of work. And those huge half dead trees can be hazardous, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or