Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:48 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
How would you know which way they were turning?? God knows 95% of Charlotte doesnt use turn signals!
Hoagie, ain't that the truth!! I have taken to using my powers of observation (plus intuition!!!) and I see how the car wheels are turned and how the driver appears to be looking at the traffic. Pretty sad we have to do that - but around here - we have to be defensive drivers!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 06:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
An intersection is any place where two or more roads meet or cross each other. Crashes occur most frequently at intersections, and they are considered the most dangerous places on a street or highway. More than one-third of fatal traffic crashes involving motor vehicles occur at intersections.
On four-lane highways separated by a median of more than 30 feet, each crossing constitutes a separate intersection. The law requires that you slow down when you come to an intersection, even if you have the right-of-way.
Quote:
In intersections without traffic signs or signals, the right-of-way rules state that:
  • the vehicle already in the intersection has the right–of–way ahead of any car that has not yet entered;
  • when two or more vehicles reach an intersection at the same time, the car to the right has the right-of-way;
  • a vehicle with the right-of-way may move straight ahead or, if legal and after signaling, turn right or left; and
  • even with the right-of-way, be careful to avoid hitting other vehicles and pedestrians.

When two facing vehicles approach an intersection at the same time, the right-of-way rules are not much help. Both drivers can move straight ahead or turn right. If one driver is going straight while the other wants to turn left, the driver who wants to turn must wait. The driver who wants to turn left must give the proper signal and wait until the turn can be made safely. Therefore, in this case, the driver who is traveling straight ahead has the right–of–way. Never change lanes while you are moving straight ahead through an intersection

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Driver Handbook: Chapter 4

It doesnt clearly state it but I would follow the same rule if the car was going straight as the one turning right in your situation.
I never really thought about it because I always assume the car turning right would make the turn faster than I would so hopefully they are in and out before I crossed it.
If an accident was to occur I think the officer would judge the person turning left due to point of impact.

Situations like you speak of happen at bad road designs like at Northlake but I run in different situation which is people stopping like it a 3 way stop and not 2 way in which it is.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:18 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,965 times
I really wonder if anyone reads their driving manuals anyway. For instance- man, it hacks me off when I'm driving down a 2 lane divided highway, and people on my side stop for a school bus' red lights. Not required people- keep on truckin!

Old 12-19-2008, 08:30 PM

248 posts, read 747,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Any time you are making a turn across traffic - i.e., left turn, and the other person is making a turn WITH traffic, they have the right of way.
This is the way it is in any state I've had a license in. Makes sense. Now, that doesn't mean everyone know this!

I see people doing stoooopid things on Charlotte roads all of the time, even when they have the right of way. They just don't know...

Don't even get me started on how many people I see every night driving around with their lights NOT on.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:35 PM

ok I got to add this to this thread.
Unless there is a sign that says no right turn on red
Turn on right on red , yellow or blue. (Im kidding on the blue)

Old 12-19-2008, 09:00 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Situations like you speak of happen at bad road designs like at Northlake but I run in different situation which is people stopping like it a 3 way stop and not 2 way in which it is.
What do you find wrong with the roads at Northlake? They seem to me to be laid out logically and with enough traffic signals to avoid potential problems. The only problem seems to be with driver's incessant needs to make u-turns where they're not necessary.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:07 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
Re-reading the original post, I recind my previous response. The vehicle that is at the stop sign first has the right-of-way. The other driver had to yield the right-of-way to the approaching driver, even if that driver was turning left and was able to do so safely. The other driver had no business making the right turn first.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
What do you find wrong with the roads at Northlake? They seem to me to be laid out logically and with enough traffic signals to avoid potential problems. The only problem seems to be with driver's incessant needs to make u-turns where they're not necessary.
Lets say you are coming off Harris Blvd and you take the mall exit near the new Drury Hotel that is sloped. There a little loop that goes around the mall that isnt the parkway. If you get off that exit you either take the forced right turn or turn left but there isnt a stop sign you have right of way the traffic that is on that little road has to yield. The situation I cross is people exiting and stopping and there isnt a stop sign telling them to do so.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:53 PM

171 posts, read 272,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
How would you know which way they were turning?? God knows 95% of Charlotte doesnt use turn signals!
I see many drivers dont like to read other car's "body language" (reading into other's intention)and this is essential. Some would rather have an accident than invest some attention in watching what other people are trying to do . It takes putting a lot of driving experience to work, but sometimes that' s what it takes, especially when other drivers don't want to use their signals.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:39 AM

125 posts, read 469,303 times
You know, if DOT would just put round-a-bouts at every intersection there wouldn't be any of these questions. No questions abut stopping, no traffic lights to maintain.
We got 2 new ones near our house in Union County and they work GREAT. I don't think
there's been a single wreck there since they were put in.
The ONLY problem with round-a-bouts is when people that have never seen one before
stop and try to figure out what to do...

I would venture to guess that 75% of the people driving today couldn't pass the written NC driving test without have to study first. And 50% of them after that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: