Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,325,529 times

Advertisements

I have seen someone who owns this plant and now Im seeing at the store and at this store they are in box some bulging out right now and some are getting ready to . It wildest plant it only blooms around Christmas least that what I been told, so I had to get me one this year. Is it true it low maintenance and how does it handle Carolina weather?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-24-2008 at 07:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 08:07 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,963,889 times
I've been tempted to get one myself, but wondered what to do with it the rest of the year. They are beautiful, though.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,325,529 times
I guess you just shelf it til around Thanksgiving?
If it a low maintenance then it is ideal for me .

Old 12-08-2008, 08:17 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,963,889 times
You'll have to post a pic. when it's in bloom.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:18 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,452,845 times
Sunny - I've had an Amaryllis for three years now. I bought an end of the season bulb (after Christmas) in 2005 at Walmart for $1.99. It bloomed in early February 2006 and I've managed to keep it going ever since. After it blooms, it will put out some long strap-like leaves. Give them as much sun as possible and keep it watered. When the weather turns warmer, you can set it outside. They can't take any kind of freezing weather. I keep it out all summer and fall until just before we get a good freeze. You want it to grow as many of those leaves as possible! After that, I take it in and keep it in my breakfast room and slowly stop giving it water. The leaves will dry out and you can cut them off when they're dead. I then stick it in the cool garage until late February. Then you can take it out and start to water it again. It will usually bloom again around Easter. I just cut off the last leaf yesterday. It will go in the garage tomorrow. Amaryllis like to be pot-bound, so you don't have to move them into a new container for a few years. If you ever get a "bare" bulb be sure to plant it with the upper third of the bulb sticking out of the soil. Some people have kept a bulb going for 30 years. Good luck with your new plant baby!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,650,825 times
I keep mine inside all year and always have, even in New Orleans. Just give it light and some water when it's not blooming. Mine are getting ready to bloom soon, but probably not until Christmas or later. The ones you see in the stores have been "forced" to bloom on time. But a Jan. bloom is great, too!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:28 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,022,987 times
Default I saw them too

and wondered about them.

How long does the flower last?

Old 12-08-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I keep mine inside all year and always have, even in New Orleans. Just give it light and some water when it's not blooming. Mine are getting ready to bloom soon, but probably not until Christmas or later. The ones you see in the stores have been "forced" to bloom on time. But a Jan. bloom is great, too!
SouthernBelle - You're so right about getting them to bloom for Christmas. Most of the pre-potted plants in stores have been forced so they'll bloom around the holidays, but I find it easier to get an Easter bloom. If those long leaves don't get enough sunlight, the next year you may only get a couple of flowers, so it's easier for me to adopt to the spring blooming schedule. Depending on where you live in the country, you can get different results. I guess in Florida or Hawaii or depending what the light situation is in your house, you can do pretty much what you want with them - lucky stiffs!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
and wondered about them.

How long does the flower last?
MJ - Each flower will usually last a week. Each stalk can have up to four flowers on it which will open at slightly varying times. If you're really lucky, you will get a second stalk that will produce another set. The combined blooming period can last for two weeks or so and the flowers are a real sight to see!

Old 12-09-2008, 10:24 AM

457 posts, read 1,173,363 times
About 3 weeks ago I bought one from Pike's Nursery in Ballantyne. They had TWELVE varieties! Mine is in full bloom now. yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte