Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 08:06 PM

124 posts, read 461,522 times

Advertisements

We moved here from Texas a couple months back and have yet to find any Mexican or Texmex that even slightly compares to what we had back home. I know not to expect as much, but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend even one decent place to get some good South of the border food. Preferably South Charlotte as that's where we're at. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 08:17 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,862,973 times
Maria's on South and Tyvola is THE best Mexican we've had since we left San Antonio. Good food and great prices! Hope you enjoy it!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:09 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,561 times
Taqueria Mexico on South is awesome and the real deal (not texmex)
La Unica in Indian Trail is also very good.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:10 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,937,235 times
Veracruz restaurant is a favorite of ours in Pineville.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:37 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,717,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
La Unica in Indian Trail is also very good.
Agreed.....

Old 12-19-2008, 09:47 PM

830 posts, read 1,529,581 times
Love Taqueria La Unica. Usually hit the one on Central, but also the one on South once in a while. The Torta Cubana is a favorite...

Old 12-20-2008, 02:17 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,141,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Taqueria Mexico on South is awesome and the real deal (not texmex)
Seconded.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:54 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliema View Post
We moved here from Texas a couple months back and have yet to find any Mexican or Texmex that even slightly compares to what we had back home. I know not to expect as much, but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend even one decent place to get some good South of the border food. Preferably South Charlotte as that's where we're at. TIA!
Your tastes may differ from someone elses. Nevertheless, there are 100K plus Hispanics in Charlotte. There are authentic and TexMex all over the city. Surely there will be several that will suit your tastes. May have to shop around for the perfect one. Don't quite know why you wouldn't expect much beats me? We have risen above Taco Bell.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:50 AM

3 posts, read 7,169 times
Being a native "Dallas-ite", and transplant to Charlotte since 2003, I've been on this mission of finding TexMex myself. Sorry to say, I haven't found anything remotely similar to Abuellos, Blue Mesa or even Pappasitos. (I did find an On the Border though.)

I've been to Veracruz and it's NOT TexMex, but decent Mex food for cheap. We've been to El Maguay on the corner of Gold Hill Rd/Hwy 160 at the NC/SC border and it's decent too, and I'd rank it over Veracruz. (Funny they have live entertainment of a hispanic guy singing karoke of "Classic Rock" songs.)

And then Rey Azteca is again decent mex, but won't necessarily fulfil the TexMex craving, but based on what I had at Veracruz, I'd rank Rey alittle better.

For those not familiar, there is a very distinct difference between authentic and TexMex, and is far removed from Taco Bell or Taco Bueno.

Juliema, PLEASE let me know if you find any other places. I will admit, I still miss TexMex and have found myself just settling for Mex to quench the craving. But know this, everytime we go back to TX, we eat TexMex every day we're there!

Merry Christams ya'll...

Old 12-20-2008, 08:59 AM

124 posts, read 461,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Your tastes may differ from someone elses. Nevertheless, there are 100K plus Hispanics in Charlotte. There are authentic and TexMex all over the city. Surely there will be several that will suit your tastes. May have to shop around for the perfect one. Don't quite know why you wouldn't expect much beats me? We have risen above Taco Bell.

Sorry if that came off as you thought it did. I guess I just meant, that Texas is sort of known for their Texmex, similiar to the Philly Cheesesteak being the best in Philadelphia, ya know? So while I certainly know there are places above Taco Bell, I just haven't found what I would consider true Texmex yet here and while I hope to find some, I'm going in with the mindset that it will be more of a diamond in the rough than a one on every street corner thing like it is in Texas.

Now, I will add a disclaimer that I have only been living here since the beginning of October so I haven't had much time to explore all options. That's why I figured asking here might help narrow down the search to more worth while selections. Thanks for all the options; I'm looking forward to trying a few out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte