Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:59 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times

Advertisements

I read two reports this morning that got me thinking about my subject title.
One stat was NY will lose 135,000 jobs during this crisis. Approx. 35,000 will come from the financial sector.The second prediction, from the head of the Builders Trade Union, suggested that NY will lose 35,000 additional jobs by 2010.His numbers look correct based on proposed projects that have now come to a stop.

I would THINK that this would have a profound effect on the migration to CLT by NYers as (a) How do they sell THEIR houses in order to move to CLT and (B) Out favorite topic...what makes them think they will get work in CLT?

On the other hand, many of these people will THINK that they will find a better, cheaper, more peaceful life by moving away from their problems in NY and relocating to CLT. Human nature isn't it??

What do you think?

JOHN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 07:58 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
I have the feeling that, if they decide to move, they will spread themselves out across the country. I see a lot of the "NY'er wants to move to (fill in the blank state name here)" in the other C-D forums, so while I do think that NC (statewide) may get more of a share than other states, I doubt it will a en-masse migration.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I don't know. The word is out that NC is the place to go. CARY - Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

There seems to be a myth circulating out there . . . that the COLA here is so much lower. Well, it is NOT unless you are considering that buying a house is cheaper and cheaper taxes on that house. Otherwise - gas, groceries, insurance, taxes on groceries, healthcare, etc are just as expensive . . . now maybe not w/ NYC itself . . . but w/ NJ and NY overall.

Plus - no mass transit like in the NE, so car expense can go up . . .

I also think that NY'ers (not all - but many!!!) seem to think they are so much better educated than the rest of us "down South" - and that employers will hand out jobs like candy once they get those exceptional resumes from New Yawkers in their hands.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:53 AM

8,803 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Anytime there is a whisper of "low prices" or "better life quality", thats when people pack up and migrate.

I just wish people would stop moving here without jobs when they had one in the last place they live. I also wouldnt mind if those who migrate here would accept Charlotte for what it is and stop trying to pass it off as a world-class city.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:56 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't know. The word is out that NC is the place to go. CARY - Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

There seems to be a myth circulating out there . . . that the COLA here is so much lower. Well, it is NOT unless you are considering that buying a house is cheaper and cheaper taxes on that house. Otherwise - gas, groceries, insurance, taxes on groceries, healthcare, etc are just as expensive . . . now maybe not w/ NYC itself . . . but w/ NJ and NY overall.

Plus - no mass transit like in the NE, so car expense can go up . . .

I also think that NY'ers (not all - but many!!!) seem to think they are so much better educated than the rest of us "down South" - and that employers will hand out jobs like candy once they get those exceptional resumes from New Yawkers in their hands.
ani let me just say about insurance, our cars and home insurance in NJ was 3850.00 a year...for the same coverage here 1750.00 a year...groceries and extra taxes on everything is definitely more here than NJ and even our healthcare is a bit cheaper here as we pay it on our own....housing yes the cost of a home is less and the property taxes well we all know no comparasion to NY or NJ...that would be the differences..NJ there was NO tax on clothing either like there is here...

Old 10-15-2008, 02:38 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
ani let me just say about insurance, our cars and home insurance in NJ was 3850.00 a year...for the same coverage here 1750.00 a year...groceries and extra taxes on everything is definitely more here than NJ and even our healthcare is a bit cheaper here as we pay it on our own....housing yes the cost of a home is less and the property taxes well we all know no comparasion to NY or NJ...that would be the differences..NJ there was NO tax on clothing either like there is here...
berry - I'll take those little "nuisance taxes" anyday over the outrageous property taxes and car insurance rates that we had in NJ. The little taxes here only add up to a few hundred dollars a year for me, compared with the thousands I'm saving living here. Plus, my house here would dwarf my old one in NJ. And no state tax on my federal pension - whats not to like? I'll never leave!!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:54 PM

462 posts, read 1,843,115 times
Wow, talk about some painting with a broad brush. Not all NY'ers are bad. I am from Long Island and for the most part I try to blend in here and I too cringe when I see some of my fellow NYers living here act like morons but we are not all like that. It's just a few that make a bad name for all of us but the same goes for NC natives also so it goes both ways. I know not everyone here is a backwoods hillbilly and would never complain about everyone here being so. So next time why don't you get to know the person rather than assume we are all azzholes because we have an accent.
If your not from NY you would not realize the cost of living differences but if I were to buy the same house I bought here I would have easily paid $600,000 with $14,000 a year taxes minimum. My tax bill every month would probably equal what I am paying for my mortgage. With that alone I am saving a bunch and live the same life style I did in NY with my wife and I both taking significant pay cuts. Yes, food is more and currently gas is but overall we are still ahead of the game.
Just don't paint with that broad brush as we are not all arrogant A holes looking to make NC another NY. Heck, I would love to move further into the country and get away from the typical subdivisions etc.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:59 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times
I am not sure they will come here, NY's can be pretty smart and move where the job may be. I don't see Charlotte having many finance sector jobs open any time soon. I think SF, Chicago and Dallas as being prime spots. They may come here for the people though.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:30 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
I am not sure they will come here, NY's can be pretty smart and move where the job may be. I don't see Charlotte having many finance sector jobs open any time soon. I think SF, Chicago and Dallas as being prime spots. They may come here for the people though.
very True..and E, I totally agree with you regarding the property taxes I know 1st hand paying 11k a year and they were going up quite a bit from what my old neighbor was saying recently...and we sold our home for almost 600k in NJ and the one im living in now would be about 600k as well with 14k property taxes, Im just letting people know there are a few differences with some of the taxes...we didnt pay Car Tax either in NJ...and we will never leave either, as we love it here and this is our home...I will say our money does go further here than back up north obviously....

Old 10-15-2008, 06:46 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
I imagine it is cyclical though, once people get used to hearing Charlotte/NC as THE place to move to, eventually tides will turn and some other place will be the new "it" place.

*Rant:
But, as a recent transplant from Chicago, I will once again express my dismay at how urban transplants are viewed on this board. Not all of us come here expecting some sort of utopia that has all the great things of our old city but is cheaper/warmer/friendlier. Some of us are more open minded then that, and we're maybe even looking to escape the so-called benefits of living in a big city, not turn Charlotte into the place we left behind. Now, maybe I am different, because my husband and I came here with steady jobs, but for us it REALLY IS better, cheaper, and more peaceful. So please (and I'm not directing this at the op necessarily) don't make broad generalizations that people that move here from big cities are a bunch of idiots that can't do the math and are just deceiving themselves. I'm not saying life here is perfect, but saving over $1,000 a month on mortgage/taxes/city fees/parking/tollroads/gas is a step in the right direction for my husband and I and we are not going around complaining that Charlotte can't compare to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte