U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:37 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,732,789 times

Advertisements

Now that Rock Hill and Greenville have no smoking ordinances, I am inclined to believe that they are classier cities. Are their citizens more educated than we? Seems as though Charlotte is obsessed with being one of the last larger cities in the US to care about the health of its citizens. Where are the "Green" people when we need them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 10:46 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Dear me, Bandi, I really don't see the connection!

Old 12-20-2008, 04:13 PM

620 posts, read 1,921,808 times
No, they definitely aren't "classier" and I also don't see the connection.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:51 PM

166 posts, read 365,637 times
yes much classier

Old 12-20-2008, 06:27 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,138,398 times
Rock Hill classy???

uuuuuuuhhhhhhhh............not in my definition.........

Old 12-21-2008, 09:33 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,732,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Dear me, Bandi, I really don't see the connection!
Both Rock Hill and Greenville have passed anti smoking ordinances. I am comparing these cities that have taken an intellectual stance against public smoking and comparing them to Charlotte which still allows smoking in most public places. Sorry I didn't make my statement clearer.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Both Rock Hill and Greenville have passed anti smoking ordinances. I am comparing these cities that have taken an intellectual stance against public smoking and comparing them to Charlotte which still allows smoking in most public places. Sorry I didn't make my statement clearer.
I guess I just don't equate smoking or not smoking in a public place w/ "class." I just see it as "restrictive" or "less restrictive" - and a matter of government legislating individual rights.

Also, I see smoking/not smoking as a restaurant issue . . . like legislating that menus must give all the nutritional info for each item. I think the owners of establishments should decide whether they have smoking areas or are completely smoke-free, as the public will really determine whether the policy is accepted or not. Free market. If people are uncomfortable b/c there is smoking, they won't patronize an establishment, so then the owner makes the decision how to handle that. I think we have way too much legislation dictating public behavior. But I know that is not the popular stance. If it were, we wouldn't see the government stepping in w/ cockamamie attempts to curb obesity by creating laws (like the one in NY) wh/ tax soft drinks containing sugar, and not taxing those that contain aspartame (wh/ is a dangerous drug, in my opinion, but that's a different thread).

But equating smoking or not smoking to class . . . just don't get the connection. I think cigar bars in upscale hotels, w/ cherry paneling and leather furniture, brandy snifters and waiters in tuxedos are quite classy.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:21 AM

755 posts, read 2,246,619 times
Personally, I find the word "classy" to be a very tacky word, indeed.

It just so happens that the STATE of NC's Constitution has a clause which prohibits municipalities from creating "smoke-free" laws.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Personally, I find the word "classy" to be a very tacky word, indeed.

It just so happens that the STATE of NC's Constitution has a clause which prohibits municipalities from creating "smoke-free" laws.
Hey, Weedy! With this state's tobacco history, one can see why that occurred. A restriction established in a different world, as it were. One could certainly argue that such a restriction is not very 21st Century. Or one could argue that it preserves individual rights (especially of the business owner).

Old 12-21-2008, 11:14 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,604,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Now that Rock Hill and Greenville have no smoking ordinances, I am inclined to believe that they are classier cities. Are their citizens more educated than we? Seems as though Charlotte is obsessed with being one of the last larger cities in the US to care about the health of its citizens. Where are the "Green" people when we need them.
Not aware of this...did you mean no smoking in restaurants? Because the bars are still smoking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte