U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:09 AM

17 posts, read 52,323 times

Advertisements

As someone who was born in Charlotte, lived in Raleigh and recently moved back to Charlotte I would like to make a comment. Charlotte has a beef with the state government, not Raleigh. Don't confuse the two. The state is run by politicians from the coastal plains. The city of Raleigh gets screwed almost as much as Charlotte. The western portion of I-540 is having to become a toll road in order to be finished while Fayetteville is getting a beltway. Sorry to get on my soap box, but when I lived in Raleigh people never gave me any trouble when I told them I was from Charlotte. When I was in Vinnies a while back a girl spat on me when I told her I lived in Raleigh, so I am a bit sensitive to the issue. Don't punish a city or its residents for the decisions of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 09:09 AM

21,888 posts, read 27,167,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Maybe Philly could be Charlotte's sister city, LOL!!!!

Let's see . . . we would have to figure out state utilities - we have Duke and Piedmont Natural Gas . . . I would kick TW out. All contracts up for grabs. And state insurance contracts- BC/BS would have to come up w/ much more robust plans w/ lower premiums and greater coverage. And car insurance would go DOWN . . .

Forget SC - let's just secede.
LOL, that would be good, Ani, & just make sense! After all, most of the early settlers came down the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road.

Here's a thought. Jersey passed a law that more than one cable provider can compete in any given town, simultaneously. That covered Verizon putting in their FiOS system. Comcast is now scrambling.

That way, you don't need to kick the robber barons of cable out, just make them compete.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:10 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,710,677 times
Charlotte should stay in NC. NO to SC...and Charlotte should be the capital of NC...not boring old Raleigh in Eastern NC. Eastern NC politics have ruled NC way to long.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:23 AM

6,270 posts, read 10,000,759 times
Quote:
Forget SC - let's just secede.
I think we should start a poll. Should Charlotte be a NC city, SC city, or just secede and become "Charlotte, Carolina"? "Charlotte, Carolina" could be as large as Western NC or as small as Washington DC. Either way, it would be an interesting poll. Should we post it on NC's page, SC's page, Charlotte's page, or all three?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighjon View Post
The city of Raleigh gets screwed almost as much as Charlotte. The western portion of I-540 is having to become a toll road in order to be finished while Fayetteville is getting a beltway.

Raleigh has 380,000 people, 141 sq/miles of land, and a MSA population of 1 million people.

Charlotte had 385,000 people, 132 sq/miles of land, and a MSA population of 1.1 million people BACK IN 1987!!!!! How much of I-485 existed back in 1987 Jon? Nuff said!!!

Welcome back to Charlotte buddy!!! You made the right move this time!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 12-23-2008 at 09:34 AM..

Old 12-23-2008, 09:32 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I think we should start a poll. Should Charlotte be a NC city, SC city, or just secede and become "Charlotte, Carolina"? "Charlotte, Carolina" could be as large as Western NC or as small as Washington DC. Either way, it would be an interesting poll. Should we post it on NC's page, SC's page, Charlotte's page, or all three?
HA HA HA!!! I like how you think, Urban!!! You ought to post it all over and see the various reactions!!!

Sounds like we should post it on the Raleigh forum, too!!! See Raleighjon's post . . . he was treated very badly here in CLT, his hometown! I think there must be a LOT of resentment here in CLT for Raleigh.

I do think Raleighjon made a good point about it being the politics of the legislators who convene in Raleigh, and not the citizens there, themselves.

However, the thing is . . . as state capitol, the city of Raleigh is the seat of government, so the anger is gonna get directed to the city wh/ houses the Legislature. Until the cronyism stops . . . I don't see that animosity changing.

Sorry, Raleighjon.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:58 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,710,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

Raleigh has 380,000 people, 141 sq/miles of land, and a MSA population of 1 million people.

Charlotte had 385,000 people, 132 sq/miles of land, and a MSA population of 1.1 million people BACK IN 1987!!!!! How much of I-485 existed back in 1987 Jon? Nuff said!!!

Welcome back to Charlotte buddy!!! You made the right move this time!!!
You are right on the money. Raleigh is quite small and boring I might add...and I know...we moved here from Raleigh and still go there to visit friends that live in N. Raleigh & Cary.

Raleigh is the size of Charlotte 21 years ago...and they think they are the same size as Charlotte now...what a laugh!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:23 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
BTW - Urban hit it right on. Our new state would simply be "Carolina."

CAROLINA WOMAN - who knew your post would inspire a rally cry for Charlotte's secession??? LOL!!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:03 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,283,304 times
Quote:
BTW - Urban hit it right on. Our new state would simply be "Carolina."

CAROLINA WOMAN - who knew your post would inspire a rally cry for Charlotte's secession??? LOL!!!!

Now everyone hum "Tara's Theme" from GWTW ... get that Here Comes Santa Claus out of your head!

Sounds good to me ... of course Duke would be pulling our strings cause they own the water supply.

While I was reading the article on the new border survey I found something else strange ... guess strange is everywhere. According to this website, the last all South Congress meeting was in 1861 ... the year the war started and we got our behinds kicked ... Southern National Congress ... they had a meeting a few weeks ago in the hills of NC and didn't invite us! I guess this is a covert op. LOL

I was trying to locate more info on the original surveyors of the 1800s ... I still think they were partaking of moonshine when they arrived in our area ... can't you see that ... riding mules and singing 99 bottles of beer on the wall ...

Old 12-23-2008, 12:17 PM

3,356 posts, read 8,868,147 times
To quote Sir William Wallace.

FREEDOM!!!!!!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:24 PM

1,401 posts, read 1,705,922 times
Quote:
Maybe we should just secede and form the state of Western NC.
This could only work for me if it included Chapel Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte