Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 07:28 AM

161 posts, read 423,432 times

Advertisements

I had an interesting chat last night with a neighbor who told me I should seek Disability or SS for my kiddos. We pay a good bit into resources for the Autism and I am sure we will continue.

I have never heard of this and not sure what is true, what is the right wording and if its SS or what.

I know in Canada we got paid for respite care each month as well as disability fees from Ontario. But I did not know something like that is here in NC. We just moved here in Oct.

Can anyone specify what she was telling me and if there is something ligit to it. I know none of the Therapists or Doctors yet have mentioned it so I am not sure.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 07:33 AM

62 posts, read 312,170 times
My nieces son has Asbergers. They live in PA. She does get assistance for him but her husband's income needs to stay under a certain level. She doesn't even care about the money which isn't much, but the extras are a major help (his own personal aid in school and after school, medical card which pays what insurance doesn't pay, etc.)

How it was explained to me was that the government feels low income parents need help with special needs children so the government does step in to help and make sure these kids are provided for. But you need to be considered low income. Most of my friends with special needs kids get nothing because they make too much to qualify.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:42 AM

161 posts, read 423,432 times
Gotcha, thanks for the info. I am not really sure what she was telling me. I know she did not have all the facts and as a newbie she was telling someone less informed than her lol

Old 12-23-2008, 10:30 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Here is some info:

Autism-PDD Message Boards: SSI (Social Security)

From what I have read in the past, I believe that some states also have monies set aside for special needs children. However, I am not aware of what resources may be available in NC.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:36 AM

673 posts, read 2,680,994 times
You might find these links helpful.

Child SSI

Social Security Online - Benefit Eligibility Screening Tool (BEST)

A child who qualifies for SS is also eligible for Medicaid. However, the parents' income & assets are considered in determining whether a child qualifies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte