U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2007, 05:41 PM

18,434 posts, read 29,397,464 times

Advertisements

OK, I looked back at my emails that I have been saving, and as far as the Charlotte area, The person form The Autism Society says either North or South Charlotte for schools for my daughter. I guess I need to break it down to getting in touch with the person in charge and see what school and go from there. I don't know how to search for specifically North or South Charlotte. I even have dh ACTUALLY LOOKING at my mls listings that I bring up. I am getting somewhere here now I feel... The e mail also told me that Cabarrus County is good. I am going to try and see if I can look this lady up on a staff listing or something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 05:47 PM

531 posts, read 1,863,469 times
I do not know much about Cabbarrus County, but we are in Union and I feel my son is getting all of the services he needs. They have been very good to us here. Best of luck!

Old 03-03-2007, 07:36 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,440,708 times
I almost hate to post this since I was criticized before for saying this but, we have had good luck with my son's special needs being addressed in Union County Public Schools. School districts on a whole don't (they can't) give away the store so to speak. Funding is an issue wherever you go. But, I have found UCPS to be very accomodating, with minimal struggle on my part. It will probably take some investigating on your part to figure out which schools would best meet your child's individual needs.

Go to the director of exceptional children in whichever counts interests you and try to get any questions you have answered up front, perhaps that will guide you in your decision making. My experience with Dr. Nancy R. Macciomei prior to our arrival blew me away. I knew immediately that we had made the right choice.

Finally, my son is flourishing and actually enjoying school!!! I never thought I'd live to see the day.

Good luck!

SL

Old 03-03-2007, 07:42 PM

18,434 posts, read 29,397,464 times
thanks for your advise!!

Old 03-05-2007, 06:13 AM

197 posts, read 667,419 times
Everyone I know in Union County that has an autistic child is happy with the services they receive here

Old 03-05-2007, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,088 times
My brother is Autistic and is a senior at North Meck. He however has no IEP and attends the regular classes. If your daughter is medium to low functioning I know that along with the staff at North are very kind, and the JROTC are involved with the special education department at North.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:26 PM

6 posts, read 12,576 times
This is all great news. I was looking S and N, too, at Huntersville and/or Indian Trail. I ave heard S. Charlotte is wonderful. Just visited Charlotte earlier this month for training and did not have time to talk to schools and see houses. May have to make another trip there just for this purpose. How are the schools in the Ballantyne area for autism? A tad pricey, but I love the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte