Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:38 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times

Advertisements

I am just not seeing many decorations up this year . . . not to the extent that I typically see.

Has Charlotte lost that Holiday Spirit???

Are you celebrating Christmas or Hanukkah in your homes - or have you cut back this year?

Any changes w/ gift exchanges or special meals? Going to visit family? Having family in? Decided to forego the family travel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 08:57 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,027,604 times
Ani, I think that it is a somber holiday overall. Many people either don't have the money for celebrations or are saving the money for the anticipated loss of income. I know in my family, there are no decorations save the nativity scene outside and the Christmas card display inside. There are no gifts being exchanged either. The boys and I will spend some time together, youngest son & DIL will meet older son & I for lunch tomorrow and then church tomorrow night. Oldest son & I will have dinner and watch Wall E on Thursday. Very simple. Too much uncertainty out there right now and too much sadness over the past year.

Maybe next year will be better. (I hope!)

Old 12-23-2008, 09:14 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,549,726 times
We noticed a difference too. We were out in The Overlook tonight on Mountain Island Lake at some friends and noticed that only about 1/2 of the homes were lit up or decorated. Seems like last year that more homes were decorated and lit.

We live on the 5th floor and no one can see ours except the birds and maybe some people across 4th Ward.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:05 PM

743 posts, read 2,242,328 times
I agree, the outlook of unemployment and the fact that many just cannot afford the luxury of higher electric bills at this point. I can say my lights in the back yard have now been off for 5 days and I just now turn them on during the weekend. Oh and Christmas Eve and Day. Other than that, I know I am conserving as well

Old 12-24-2008, 07:56 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,141,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am just not seeing many decorations up this year . . . not to the extent that I typically see.

Has Charlotte lost that Holiday Spirit???

Are you celebrating Christmas or Hanukkah in your homes - or have you cut back this year?

Any changes w/ gift exchanges or special meals? Going to visit family? Having family in? Decided to forego the family travel?
I'm as Christmassy as I've ever been. We've put lights and a wreath out on the balcony and little decorations all over the apartment -- even a little tree with humble yet sincere ornaments. And poinsettias!

We've watched many Christmas movies on DVD and TV -- even went to see Elf at Ballantyne Village when my fiancée's sister was in town. Today I went out early and bought the last of the supplies for our ChristmasEve/Christmas Festival of Snackfoods -- we'll be having cupcakes, cheeseball and crackers, chips and dip, white trash, sosmething that I think are called haystacks (? they involve chow mein noodles and butterscotch, I think), Chex mix, cookies, candy canes, muffins -- you know, all the usual healthy fare. And no -- no actual meal. That might ruin our appetites!

As for gifts, not so much -- but that's nothing new. I've finally managed to convince her -- and her family, for that matter, that Christmas is MUCH more fun and relaxed and Christmassy if everyone just agrees not to waste time and money and stress on gifts. Everyone in my family has known for years not to buy me gifts and not to expect them from me, but this is the first time it'll be like that with my fiancée -- so far, she's loving it! Yay!

We're spending today (when she gets home from work at 2) and tomorrow with just the two of us and our cats (and, I suspect, tummy aches all around.) I can't express how much I'm looking forward to this. I am rather FILLED with Christmas spirit - moreso than at any other time I can remember. The day after Christmas we go to her parents' house to celebrate with her parents and sister. Then, Saturday --- big old family Christmas party that includes a bunch of out-of-town (and out-of-state) relatives that will be meeting me for the first time.

Oh, and music! Don't forget the music! If it's not Christmassy, it's not being played here. While it's been almost exclusively Over The Rhine's two Christmas albums (they're an Ohio band and if you don't know them, you are sooo missing out!), we have managed to sneak a listen at a few others as well. We even went to the Amy Grant/Vince Gill Christmas concert at Ovens last week --- wonderful!

Merry Christmas, everyone. And Happy Festivus.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:13 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,400,976 times
Doesn't matter what it looks like on the outside but what goes on inside. I'll probably put on some holiday movie in a bit (the first Die Hard or something...) and then look towards getting a few snack type things for the evening and tomorrow. I know once we get rolling tonight and tomorrow it'll feel as Christmas-y as ever, just with a little less lights and a slightly lower electric bill.

I've been listening to channel 120 on the XM radio, they've been playing nothing but old Bing Crosby Christmas radio shows. If that doesn't get you in the mood, nothing will.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:15 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,602,543 times
I have seen less external displays in my neighborhood this year. As others have said, I assume people are trying to save money. Which is a good thing considering that spending money we don't have is what got us into this mess in the first place.

I guess this guy in OH is not worried about it though: Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati Photo Gallery | Cincinnati.Com

Happy Festival of Alvis everybody! Break out the ham and pomp!

Old 12-24-2008, 10:02 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,937,235 times
People are going all out with displays in my neighborhood. But it might be the last hurrah so to speak before frugality kicks in. We've chosen not to light up the house but to run the spa instead.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Not a lot of outdoor decorations in my neighborhood. I would say - about 25% of what we usually have.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:25 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,937,235 times
Too bad there isn't any snow here. It would be fun to answer the challenge of snowzilla.
Revenge of Snowzilla: Anchorage | adn.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte