Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2008, 03:43 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times

Advertisements

Here's something that I have always wondered, and I am hoping that someone on the board has an answer:

Was Charlotte's drinking water always supplied by Lake Norman?

Why not use groundwater to augment Charlotte's supply of drinking water. With all of the area recharge areas (undeveloped land), the underground aquifers should have an ample supply of water.

Anyone know if the City is looking in alternative drinking water supplies?

And, although I am a day early, Merry Christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 03:47 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Here's something that I have always wondered, and I am hoping that someone on the board has an answer:

Was Charlotte's drinking water always supplied by Lake Norman?

Why not use groundwater to augment Charlotte's supply of drinking water. With all of the area recharge areas (undeveloped land), the underground aquifers should have an ample supply of water.

Anyone know if the City is looking in alternative drinking water supplies?

And, although I am a day early, Merry Christmas!
Charlotte's drinking water is supplied by Mountain Island Lake (downstream from Lake Norman). The lake between Lake Norman & Lake Wylie...all part of the Catawba River.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:15 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
What is an "alternative drink water supply"?

Old 12-25-2008, 10:05 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Its a supply you tap when the first one runs dry or gets contaminated.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:16 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
I just open up another container of spring water from Walmart.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:29 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Charlotte used to pull drinking water from local creeks (Briar, Irwin) until a terrible drought in the early 1900s dried them up completely and Charlotte had to truck in water on railcars from the Catawba River.

The mayor at the time decided that Charlotte needed a more permanent water supply, so he said we were going to build works to pull water from the Catawba River proper. People thought he was crazy... after all, the Catawba River was waaaaaaay out in the country to the average Charlottean. But that's what he did, and that site is exactly where we get our water from today.

Any individual who wishes to have an alternative water supply is free to drill a well, but as a municipal supply I don't think the geology and aquifer type are conducive. When I think groundwater supply for municipalities, I think limestone geology (Pennsylvania).

Old 12-26-2008, 08:36 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
It can be quite expensive to drill a well . . . and some areas in this region have water w/ concentrations of arsenic, wh/ is thought to be a carcinogen.

EQI/Arsenic (http://orgs.unca.edu/eqi/ArsenicWat.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte