U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2009, 10:56 AM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,726,297 times
Reputation: 191

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Uh, I am fully aware of banks merged and you just re-hashed what I said about those mergers . . . except you still don't seem to get it - CLT was here a long time b/f those mergers. I thought I had succinctly outlined to you that the BofA merger did not occur til around 1992 and the others were sometime after 2002 - that is HARDLY Charlotte basing its economy on banking. And you have said nothing to refute it b/c there simply is nothing to be said.

Don't know what your point is. And evidently you are so intent on making your non-point that you are either avoiding (or purposely misreading) the actual history - and the facts.

If you want to talk about Atlanta, go to the Atlanta forum. Same for San Francisco. Charlotte is fine and gonna be fine, despite banks scaling back operations here. Yes, we will lose jobs. But look at it this way. Those additional jobs w/ the banks only came here since 1992 - and some since 2002.

This is not the portent of the collapse of civilization as we know it.

OK i dont understand this Its so funny when people talk about charlotte in a way that it may look bad, or when people bring out the negative things that charlotte has, people get so offend as if they dont want other forumers to view there city in a negative way. And another thing i have watched alot of charlotte forumers come into Atlanta and Houston ,forumers talking negative about Atlanta and Houston say what they have to say So if someone wants to being up another city let them do it because yall charlotte forumers constantly do it especially in Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2009, 11:02 AM
 
93 posts, read 175,894 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
OK i dont understand this Its so funny when people talk about charlotte in a way that it may look bad, or when people bring out the negative things that charlotte has, people get so offend as if they dont want other forumers to view there city in a negative way. And another thing i have watched alot of charlotte forumers come into Atlanta and Houston ,forumers talking negative about Atlanta and Houston say what they have to say So if someone wants to being up another city let them do it because yall charlotte forumers constantly do it especially in Atlanta
They are a bit sensitive as to Charlotte's city status. Always have been though.
Anything negative about Charlotte at all it in turn responded by a massive nashing of teefs and civic bolstering and personal attacks.
It is not just this forum, but the way people in Charlotte in general respond to this.
There is also this bizarre comparing of Atlanta and Charlotte by peeps in CLT.

They have a huge/love hate relationship with Atlanta. They want to be considered to be on par with Atlanta, but then knock Atlanta for having big city problems. Hell, Atlanta is like 3 or 4 times bigger than Charlotte.
I have lived in both cities.
I liked Atlanta better, even with all of Atlanta's issues, I found that Charlotte was not really a big city more than a oversize town tht really wants to be recognized as a World Class city, but it isn't a world class city, just a regional class city that is jellus of Atlanta and wants to be Atlanta, but without the problems Atlanta has.
Too many ultra conservative religion types in Charlotte for my taste. Atlanta has there share of the ultra conservatives, but they are mostly in the burbs.
Over all Atlanta is a much more progressive and diverse city than Charlotte.
I live in Ft Lauderdale now and there is NO city reveralry between Miami and Ft Lauderdale, it is all part of the same metro area, and Ft Lauderdale does not have some inferiority complex about it's city status, which is nice, and it is not part of the Bible belt

Last edited by DrGonzo33; 01-11-2009 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 11:14 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
OK i dont understand this Its so funny when people talk about charlotte in a way that it may look bad, or when people bring out the negative things that charlotte has, people get so offend as if they dont want other forumers to view there city in a negative way. And another thing i have watched alot of charlotte forumers come into Atlanta and Houston ,forumers talking negative about Atlanta and Houston say what they have to say So if someone wants to being up another city let them do it because yall charlotte forumers constantly do it especially in Atlanta
Why did you quote my post? What I wrote has nothing to do w/ what you are talking about!

LISTEN UP - I don't care if anyone wants to move to Charlotte, okay? I really DO NOT!!! I would have been happy if we closed the borders 15 years ago.

You do not seem to understand what I have written - or refuse to understand it. Charlotte is a VERY OLD CITY and we were fine b/f the banks expanded and we will be fine if they leave.

The natives here did not send out an engraved invite saying - "100,000 people please come to our city so we can grow too quickly and endure infrastructure problems b/c of that rapid growth."

But newcomers did come. Banks did grow. And it is what it is! So now we all must figure out where to go from here. We have a great workforce - wh/ will draw new business to the area.

I am not an apologist (look the word up) for Charlotte's growth, for Charlotte being "utopia" or for Charlotte being a great place to live! I personally moved back here b/c I am from this area and have elderly parents here. I like it here, but loved living in the Midwest, so this is definitely NOT Utopia to me. It is, however, my HOME and it is a good place to live, raise a family, retire to . . . one can make a good life here.

We are facing an economic downturn in this area, but we will re-bound, b/c we have so many things that are RIGHT with the area, with the PEOPLE here being the foundation of "what is right" with Mecklenburg county - and surrounding areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 11:21 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo33 View Post
They are a bit sensitive as to Charlotte's city status. Always have been though.
Anything negative about Charlotte at all it in turn responded by a massive nashing of teefs and civic bolstering and personal attacks.
It is not just this forum, but the way people in Charlotte in general respond to this.
There is also this bizarre comparing of Atlanta and Charlotte by peeps in CLT.

They have a huge/love hate relationship with Atlanta. They want to be considered to be on par with Atlanta, but then knock Atlanta for having big city problems. Hell, Atlanta is like 3 or 4 times bigger than Charlotte.
I have lived in both cities.
I liked Atlanta better, even with all of Atlanta's issues, I found that Charlotte was not really a big city more than a oversize town tht really wants to be recognized as a World Class city, but it isn't a world class city, just a regional class city that is jellus of Atlanta and wants to be Atlanta, but without the problems Atlanta has.
Too many ultra conservative religion types in Charlotte for my taste. Atlanta has there share of the ultra conservatives, but they are mostly in the burbs.
Over all Atlanta is a much more progressive and diverse city than Charlotte.
GONZO . . . you are sadly mistaken. Charlotteans do not bring up this comparison w/ ATL. Outsiders bring it up - or newcomers. The natives here find ATL a fine place to visit but you didn't see us move there, did you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 11:23 AM
 
93 posts, read 175,894 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Why did you quote my post? What I wrote has nothing to do w/ what you are talking about!

LISTEN UP - I don't care if anyone wants to move to Charlotte, okay? I really DO NOT!!! I would have been happy if we closed the borders 15 years ago.

You do not seem to understand what I have written - or refuse to understand it. Charlotte is a VERY OLD CITY and we were fine b/f the banks expanded and we will be fine if they leave.

The natives here did not send out an engraved invite saying - "100,000 people please come to our city so we can grow too quickly and endure infrastructure problems b/c of that rapid growth."

But newcomers did come. Banks did grow. And it is what it is! So now we all must figure out where to go from here. We have a great workforce - wh/ will draw new business to the area.

I am not an apologist (look the word up) for Charlotte's growth, for Charlotte being "utopia" or for Charlotte being a great place to live! I personally moved back here b/c I am from this area and have elderly parents here. I like it here, but loved living in the Midwest, so this is definitely NOT Utopia to me. It is, however, my HOME and it is a good place to live, raise a family, retire to . . . one can make a good life here.

We are facing an economic downturn in this area, but we will re-bound, b/c we have so many things that are RIGHT with the area, with the PEOPLE here being the foundation of "what is right" with Mecklenburg county - and surrounding areas.
Ok, so Charlotte was founded in the 1700's. So what. It was a 1 horse town then and still was up until 1920's when mills moved in and created the economy and the city.

Charlotte started to grow massively in the 70's with the dreaded banking industry and rode that wave of growth until now.
The majority of the growth in CLT happened from the mid 60's up until now, due mostly to Banking. The old economy of Charlotte was textile mills, and a whole crap load of growth happened in CLT in the last 25 years..due to BANKS.

I do not know why you keep harping on Charlotte being an "old city" that was founded in the 1700's as if Charlotte is equal to Boston or something..
What has that to do with anything?
Modern day Charlotte was made by banking and will fail due to banking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 11:25 AM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,726,297 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo33 View Post
They are a bit sensitive as to Charlotte's city status. Always have been though.
Anything negative about Charlotte at all it in turn responded by a massive nashing of teefs and civic bolstering and personal attacks.
It is not just this forum, but the way people in Charlotte in general respond to this.
There is also this bizarre comparing of Atlanta and Charlotte by peeps in CLT.

They have a huge/love hate relationship with Atlanta. They want to be considered to be on par with Atlanta, but then knock Atlanta for having big city problems. Hell, Atlanta is like 3 or 4 times bigger than Charlotte.
I have lived in both cities.
I liked Atlanta better, even with all of Atlanta's issues, I found that Charlotte was not really a big city more than a oversize town tht really wants to be recognized as a World Class city, but it isn't a world class city, just a regional class city that is jellus of Atlanta and wants to be Atlanta, but without the problems Atlanta has.
Too many ultra conservative religion types in Charlotte for my taste. Atlanta has there share of the ultra conservatives, but they are mostly in the burbs.
Over all Atlanta is a much more progressive and diverse city than Charlotte.
I totally agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,596,828 times
Reputation: 39866
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo33 View Post
They are a bit sensitive as to Charlotte's city status. Always have been though.
Anything negative about Charlotte at all it in turn responded by a massive nashing of teefs and civic bolstering and personal attacks.
It is not just this forum, but the way people in Charlotte in general respond to this.
There is also this bizarre comparing of Atlanta and Charlotte by peeps in CLT.

They have a huge/love hate relationship with Atlanta. They want to be considered to be on par with Atlanta, but then knock Atlanta for having big city problems. Hell, Atlanta is like 3 or 4 times bigger than Charlotte.
I have lived in both cities.
I liked Atlanta better, even with all of Atlanta's issues, I found that Charlotte was not really a big city more than a oversize town tht really wants to be recognized as a World Class city, but it isn't a world class city, just a regional class city that is jellus of Atlanta and wants to be Atlanta, but without the problems Atlanta has.
Too many ultra conservative religion types in Charlotte for my taste. Atlanta has there share of the ultra conservatives, but they are mostly in the burbs.
Over all Atlanta is a much more progressive and diverse city than Charlotte.
I live in Ft Lauderdale now and there is NO city reveralry between Miami and Ft Lauderdale, it is all part of the same metro area, and Ft Lauderdale does not have some inferiority complex about it's city status, which is nice, and it is not part of the Bible belt

I have no clue why you would say Charloteans are sensitive to our city status. NO native or long term resident that I have ever known or come across wants to be Atlanta, or even compared to Atlanta. This is something news media and newcomers have invented. Maybe the Chamber of Commerce wants to be "world class" (another term strictly invented to promote our business atmosphere here) but the rest of us really don't. We don't want to be Atlanta, Chicago, Manhattan or San Francisco. Those are all nice places to visit, but we like LIVING here.


Additionally, your comment that "Too many ultra conservative religion types in Charlotte for my taste" is very telling and speaks volumes as to your prejudice against this lovely city and its people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 11:28 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo33 View Post
Ok, so Charlotte was founded in the 1700's. So what. It was a 1 horse town then and still was up until 1940.

Charlotte started to grow massively in the 70's with the dreaded banking industry and rode that wave of growth until now.

I do not know why you keep harping of Charlotte being a old city that was founded in the 1700's.
What has that to do with anything?
You are right. It has nothing to do with anything. The fact that Charlotte became incorporated b/c it was a merchant trading center and the fact that it has continued on that same path has not a thing to do w/ its location or MSA.

It is all irrelevant.

We are doomed. The fact that we survived Cornwallis and Sherman has nothing to do w/ anything. We are just a city that popped up out of nowhere for no reason and why anyone is still living here is - well - unfathomable.

And now that the banks are going . . . we will cease to exist. Hand-writing on the wall. "Charlotte will be a ghost town in 30 days."

So glad you have put this all in perspective for me, Gonzo. Packing my bags as soon as I finish typing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 11:29 AM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,726,297 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Why did you quote my post? What I wrote has nothing to do w/ what you are talking about!

LISTEN UP - I don't care if anyone wants to move to Charlotte, okay? I really DO NOT!!! I would have been happy if we closed the borders 15 years ago.

You do not seem to understand what I have written - or refuse to understand it. Charlotte is a VERY OLD CITY and we were fine b/f the banks expanded and we will be fine if they leave.

The natives here did not send out an engraved invite saying - "100,000 people please come to our city so we can grow too quickly and endure infrastructure problems b/c of that rapid growth."

But newcomers did come. Banks did grow. And it is what it is! So now we all must figure out where to go from here. We have a great workforce - wh/ will draw new business to the area.

I am not an apologist (look the word up) for Charlotte's growth, for Charlotte being "utopia" or for Charlotte being a great place to live! I personally moved back here b/c I am from this area and have elderly parents here. I like it here, but loved living in the Midwest, so this is definitely NOT Utopia to me. It is, however, my HOME and it is a good place to live, raise a family, retire to . . . one can make a good life here.

We are facing an economic downturn in this area, but we will re-bound, b/c we have so many things that are RIGHT with the area, with the PEOPLE here being the foundation of "what is right" with Mecklenburg county - and surrounding areas.

I quoted you because you said if you wanna talk about atlanta go to atlanta forum. so i said what i said to say that people from charlotte are always coming to atlanta forumers voice there opinions and bringing up charlotte in every topic in atlanta and writing these atlanta vs charlotte threads so why cant he bring up atlanta if he wants too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 11:30 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
I quoted you because you said if you wanna talk about atlanta go to atlanta forum. so i said what i said to say that people from charlotte are always coming to atlanta forumers voice there opinions and bringing up charlotte in every topic in atlanta and writing these atlanta vs charlotte threads so why cant he bring up atlanta if he wants too
Please re-write this so I can understand what you are saying.

Using caps and periods and paragraphs would be immensely helpful.

BTW - I have never been to the Atlanta forum except once, when asking for info b/c I was driving there the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top