U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:30 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,726,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
GONZO . . . you are sadly mistaken. Charlotteans do not bring up this comparison w/ ATL. Outsiders bring it up - or newcomers. The natives here find ATL a fine place to visit but you didn't see us move there, did you?

No i believe ms CArolina Blue made the forum what do atlantaeans really feel about charlotte. just go pull up all 8 charlotte vs atlanta and you will see
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 11:31 AM

93 posts, read 175,879 times
Quote:
GONZO . . . you are sadly mistaken. Charlotteans do not bring up this comparison w/ ATL. Outsiders bring it up - or newcomers. The natives here find ATL a fine place to visit but you didn't see us move there, did you?
Well it certainly isn't people in Atlanta obsessing over Charlotte

Old 01-11-2009, 11:32 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,579,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo33 View Post
Ok, so Charlotte was founded in the 1700's. So what. It was a 1 horse town then and still was up until 1920's when mills moved in and created the economy and the city.

Charlotte started to grow massively in the 70's with the dreaded banking industry and rode that wave of growth until now.
The majority of the growth in CLT happened from the mid 60's up until now, due mostly to Banking. The old economy of Charlotte was textile mills, and a whole crap load of growth happened in CLT in the last 25 years..due to BANKS.

I do not know why you keep harping on Charlotte being an "old city" that was founded in the 1700's as if Charlotte is equal to Boston or something..
What has that to do with anything?
Modern day Charlotte was made by banking and will fail due to banking.

Wrong again. Charlotte was prosperous enough to already have 4 banks in 1897! This is an old city - not as old as Boston maybe, but we had a life as a city prior to the modern boom - which by the way began, not with banking but with IBM moving here in the 70's.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:35 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,726,056 times
Well where is all the history at Now looks to me like its all been torn down

Old 01-11-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I have no clue why you would say Charloteans are sensitive to our city status. NO native or long term resident that I have ever known or come across wants to be Atlanta, or even compared to Atlanta. This is something news media and newcomers have invented. Maybe the Chamber of Commerce wants to be "world class" (another term strictly invented to promote our business atmosphere here) but the rest of us really don't. We don't want to be Atlanta, Chicago, Manhattan or San Francisco. Those are all nice places to visit, but we like LIVING here.

Additionally, your comment that "Too many ultra conservative religion types in Charlotte for my taste" is very telling and speaks volumes as to your prejudice against this lovely city and its people.
Uh, so you are saying Charlotte Isn't ultra conservative and full of baptist churches?
I mean no offense to people who like church and Jesus, but not everyone is into that.
That most asked question in Charlotte is "what church do you go to" and god help you if you are a catholic or jewish because of course you will be spending entirety in hell

Old 01-11-2009, 11:38 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,193,442 times
Quote:
Well it certainly isn't people in Atlanta obsessing over Charlotte
And you are implying that Charlotte is obsessing over Atlanta?

Honey, in case you hadn't noticed, ATL is only 3.5 hours away (from my house, anyway) and I can drive to Buckhead any time I wish to. I don't have to obsess over Atlanta. Great place to visit and shop! I LOVE ATLANTA!!!! Just don't wanna live there.

Charlotte residents want Atlanta to keep growing - and thriving. That way, we can live here and visit there . . . and not deal w/ their problems w/ traffic and sprawl.

Your point is totally lost on anyone who is a native here.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Wrong again. Charlotte was prosperous enough to already have 4 banks in 1897! This is an old city - not as old as Boston maybe, but we had a life as a city prior to the modern boom - which by the way began, not with banking but with IBM moving here in the 70's.
1847?
What was the population of CLT in 1847 compared to now?

Old 01-11-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
And you are implying that Charlotte is obsessing over Atlanta?

Honey, in case you hadn't noticed, ATL is only 3.5 hours away (from my house, anyway) and I can drive to Buckhead any time I wish to. I don't have to obsess over Atlanta. Great place to visit and shop! I LOVE ATLANTA!!!! Just don't wanna live there.

Charlotte residents want Atlanta to keep growing - and thriving. That way, we can live here and visit there . . . and not deal w/ their problems w/ traffic and sprawl.

Your point is totally lost on anyone who is a native here.
So, "honey", you are one of those people that don't want Charlotte to grow and you want it to stay exactly the same forever?
Case closed.
Sorry, but that is not progressive, if you want CLT to remain the same forever I suggest you move to North Wilkeboro or Statesville or some other small town.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,193,442 times
Quote:
Uh, so you are saying Charlotte Isn't ultra conservative and full of baptist churches?
I mean no offense to people who like church and Jesus, but not everyone is into that.
That most asked question in Charlotte is "what church do you go to" and god help you if you are a catholic or jewish because of course you will be spending entirety in hell
I can't even believe you wrote such an ignorant statement. On the other hand, I guess I can believe it.

Since I know a great many of the people on this forum, we have an active Jewish, Catholic, Protestant contingency here . . . as well as members who are Agnostic . . . and are other religions, such as Buddhist . . . you just don't have a clue. You really should get out more. Do you even LIVE HERE????

Old 01-11-2009, 11:44 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,579,855 times
Quote:
AGAIN, stop posting untruths.

I AM Catholic and NO ONE has ever, ever so much as implied that I might be spending eternity in hell. I feel certain some of our Jewish friends here would tell you the same thing. This is a community that has always valued a faith life and the Christians and Jews have a very respectful feeling for one another. The history of Jews here is one of great philanthropy and community involvement.

If you are not comfortable in this environment than I'm glad for you that you don't live here - but this "environment" is what attracts a lot of folks to living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or