Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:11 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Actually by mid 2009 three large furniture factories in NC are scheduled to reopen.
You might be surprised by what jobs come back stateside in the next 12-24 months...
I would love to see it. We have given away (outsourced) our manufacturing infrastructure bit by bit over the last decade. It is an extremely dangerous position to be in - an entire country w/o a manufacturing base. Makes us totally dependent on imports - and look what it has done to our jobs . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 06:26 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I would love to see it. We have given away (outsourced) our manufacturing infrastructure bit by bit over the last decade. It is an extremely dangerous position to be in - an entire country w/o a manufacturing base. Makes us totally dependent on imports - and look what it has done to our jobs . . .
Here's something for ya to try- call Dell, AOL, US Air, and countless others, and try to get a person whose first language is English. I wish you lots of luck with that!

Frankly, I would pay more for my consumer goods, if I knew I wouldnt have to spend hours on the phone who speaks English poorly, at best. As much as we complain about our jobs being outsourced, we still purchase the crap from he outsourcers (I am just as guilty as anyone).

Anyone remember the "Made in the USA" campaign Walmart ran a few years ago? I strongly feel that there would be a market for American made good, were they easier to find.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:32 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Frankly, I would pay more for my consumer goods, if I knew I wouldnt have to spend hours on the phone who speaks English poorly, at best. As much as we complain about our jobs being outsourced, we still purchase the crap from he outsourcers (I am just as guilty as anyone).

Anyone remember the "Made in the USA" campaign Walmart ran a few years ago? I strongly feel that there would be a market for American made good, were they easier to find.
Great post, and I am guilty as well...
I read Mr. Walton's book when it first came out and I am fairly certain he would roll over in his grave seeing the current Wal-Mart. But that is neither here nor their considering our fair city.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:33 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
Well, stuff could be made in America, that does not mean that their call centers are!!

I have heard that Jack in the Box even outsources their drive thru overseas during peak rush hours...and, those burgers are made right there!!

Old 12-26-2008, 06:34 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
moral of the story:

never call, never try to talk to anyone.

E-Mail only. That way you have a paper trail...

Old 12-26-2008, 06:38 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,751,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo33 View Post
To answer your question, I lived in Charlotte over 30 years. Moved though.
Maybe you have not lived anywhere else and have nothing to compare it to but Charlotte is NOT a diverse economy even if you want to pretend it is.
You know those tall building in downtown, ur I mean "uptown"?

Well, what percentage of those over ten stories have bank names on them or relating to banking?

I would say over 50% Maybe up to 80%
Whats the name of the NFL stadium there? Does it start with Bank Of... .. come on..you know it..
What is Charlotte's 2nd largest job base outside of banking? City/state government?
Actually, I've lived in Atlanta and Dallas, I'm originally from this area, and have lived here the past 12 years straight. And I do know Charlotte well. It amazes me how some long time folks here like you do "not" know the city. One of the biggest problems with your argument is that you're only talking about "Uptown/Downtown" Charlotte; as if everybody in the city works there??? At any rate, here are some links so you can brush up on where the majority of people in this city work...

Link 1: Charlotte Chamber - Largest Employers

Link 2: http://www.charlottechamber.com/clie...tEmployers.pdf

Old 12-26-2008, 06:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Here's something for ya to try- call Dell, AOL, US Air, and countless others, and try to get a person whose first language is English. I wish you lots of luck with that!

I agree - I would pay more! I have tried to buy exclusively American goods, and - well- IT IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!

I was buying Christmas presents, and I thought - I am going to try to find all goods made in America. I saw these beautiful tea cups, commissioned by the NY Botanical Garden. Not inexpensive, either. I thought - okay - now that will be a nice gift for my sister. Picked them up, turned them over - and yes, they were stamped on the bottom that they had been commissioned by the NY Botanical Garden - and were Made in China.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:51 PM

93 posts, read 202,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Wow

Sunny, I guess you can go ahead and lock this one up, LOL
If your point is that Charlotte will be nearly unaffected by the banking turndown and Charlotte does not have a major banking job base in the city then whatever, if that isn't the point you are desperately trying to convey here then I don't know what it and it is a fantasy.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-26-2008 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: flaming

Old 12-26-2008, 07:10 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
[nothing to see, move along]

Old 12-26-2008, 07:14 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,751,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo33 View Post
If your point is that Charlotte will be nearly unaffected by the banking turndown and Charlotte does not have a major banking job base in the city then whatever, if that isn't the point you are desperately trying to convey here then I don't know what it and it is a fantasy.
My only point is that your thread is titled "Maybe Charlotte put all its eggs in one basket.." Inferring you where wanting to "debate" that topic. Apparently you don't want to debate that, or are simply not prepared to do so. So I'll move on, and won't bother posting in your thread. I've made my points anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte