U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 07:33 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times

Advertisements

Carolina Blue - great info on your post - Charlotte has always been about a lot more than banking. Banking just happened to grow b/c of mergers and acquisitions.

We have new businesses that are moving into our area regularly. I am very concerned about banking employees who will lose their jobs . . . but to answer the OP's question . . . Charlotte did not put its eggs in one basket. Banking put its eggs in Charlotte's basket. Charlotte is a pre-Revolutionary town and has held an important trading/merchant presence in the SE since the 18th Century. The bankers came to us; we did not solicit the title of "second largest banking center in America." That title was conferred (or even IMPOSED) on us after mergers took place.

I have said this many times before and will continue to say it . . . history has proven that Charlotte's location and workforce have allowed the city and its citizens to rebound regardless of what challenges we may have encountered, including the regional ravages left in the wake of the Revolutionary War and Cornwallis and the Civil War and Sherman as well as Stoneman's raiders . . .

But no . . . Charlotte didn't put its eggs in a banking basket. Bankers from outside Charlotte came and brought their own chickens, and their chickens deposited their eggs here . . . and if they want to take their chickens off somewhere else . . . fine with us.

We have other chickens. And roosters, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 07:38 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,057,714 times
ani, what a great post, I completely agree...

Old 12-26-2008, 07:41 PM

93 posts, read 175,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
So I'll move on, and won't bother posting in your thread. .
Thank GOD. Was not my intent to turn it into a flame war.
Moving on now.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:44 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,902,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Here's something for ya to try- call Dell, AOL, US Air, and countless others, and try to get a person whose first language is English. I wish you lots of luck with that!

Frankly, I would pay more for my consumer goods, if I knew I wouldnt have to spend hours on the phone who speaks English poorly, at best. As much as we complain about our jobs being outsourced, we still purchase the crap from he outsourcers (I am just as guilty as anyone).

Anyone remember the "Made in the USA" campaign Walmart ran a few years ago? I strongly feel that there would be a market for American made good, were they easier to find.

I read that, for a fee, Dell will now provide "U.S. based" tech support.

I wonder if that'll catch on?

Old 12-26-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Carolina Blue - great info on your post - Charlotte has always been about a lot more than banking. Banking just happened to grow b/c of mergers and acquisitions.

We have new businesses that are moving into our area regularly. I am very concerned about banking employees who will lose their jobs . . . but to answer the OP's question . . . Charlotte did not put its eggs in one basket. Banking put its eggs in Charlotte's basket. Charlotte is a pre-Revolutionary town and has held an important trading/merchant presence in the SE since the 18th Century. The bankers came to us; we did not solicit the title of "second largest banking center in America." That title was conferred (or even IMPOSED) on us after mergers took place.

I have said this many times before and will continue to say it . . . history has proven that Charlotte's location and workforce have allowed the city and its citizens to rebound regardless of what challenges we may have encountered, including the regional ravages left in the wake of the Revolutionary War and Cornwallis and the Civil War and Sherman as well as Stoneman's raiders . . .

But no . . . Charlotte didn't put its eggs in a banking basket. Bankers from outside Charlotte came and brought their own chickens, and their chickens deposited their eggs here . . . and if they want to take their chickens off somewhere else . . . fine with us.

We have other chickens. And roosters, too.
Well, I would not say it was bankers outside of Charlotte that imposed Banking on Charlotte, NCNB was a home grown bank that merged with other banks until it became a megabank it is now, same with First Union/Wachovia. They are home grown banks that got huge due to mergers and takeovers of other regional banks.
So you can't really blame outsiders for creating a huge economy in charlotte based on banking. It was a good ol' boys from Charloote that did the deed. Worked great for a long time...until now.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:53 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,057,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo33 View Post
It was a good ol' boys from Charloote that did the deed. Worked great for a long time...until now.
What is your beef with Charlotte?
Do you even live here?

And it is 'Charlotte', BTW, not 'Charloote'.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
What is your beef with Charlotte?
Do you even live here?

And it is 'Charlotte', BTW, not 'Charloote'.
I don't have a "beef" with Charlotte. I grew up in Charlotte, graduated from High School there and lived there until I was 30.
Sorry for the typo (charloote), relax, I didn't intend to offend you with a typo. :lol:

Old 12-26-2008, 08:03 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo33 View Post
Well, I would not say it was bankers outside of Charlotte that imposed Banking on Charlotte, NCNB was a home grown bank that merged with other banks until it became a megabank it is now, same with First Union/Wachovia. They are home grown banks that got huge due to mergers and takeovers of other regional banks.
So you can't really blame outsiders for creating a huge economy in charlotte based on banking. It was a good ol' boys from Charloote that did the deed. Worked great for a long time...until now.
I think you missed my point. Yes, it was mergers. And yes, homegrown banks were bought out. But if those banks had been located elsewhere, the business would have gone there, not CLT.

And I am not "blaming" anyone for anything. I am simply stating that CLT was fine b/f the banks grew (due to mergers) and we will be fine if they pull out.

Now, I have not looked this up, so feel free to correct me, but if memory serves me correctly . . . BofA was not here til after 1992 . . . and Wachovia and First Union didn't merge til sometime after 2002 . . .

So when you say "worked great for a long time," well . . . considering that Charlotte was incorporated around the time of the Revolutionary War (I am thinking - maybe 1774???? not sure) . . . then we are talking about a city w/ over 240 or so years of history - and the banking industry has been noticeable here for less than 16 years . . . that isn't a very long time when one compares banking in NYC, for example. And it would represent less than 6% of our city's history. Methinks that does not qualify as a long time industry. Textiles and furniture were here for more than a century. They qualified as long time economic influences.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think you missed my point. Yes, it was mergers. And yes, homegrown banks were bought out. But if those banks had been located elsewhere, the business would have gone there, not CLT.

And I am not "blaming" anyone for anything. I am simply stating that CLT was fine b/f the banks grew (due to mergers) and we will be fine if they pull out.

Now, I have not looked this up, so feel free to correct me, but if memory serves me correctly . . . BofA was not here til after 1992 . . . and Wachovia and First Union didn't merge til sometime after 2002 . . .

So when you say "worked great for a long time," well . . . considering that Charlotte was incorporated around the time of the Revolutionary War (I am thinking - maybe 1774???? not sure) . . . then we are talking about a city w/ over 240 or so years of history - and the banking industry has been noticeable here for less than 16 years . . . that isn't a very long time when one compares banking in NYC, for example. And it would represent less than 6% of our city's history. Methinks that does not qualify as a long time industry. Textiles and furniture were here for more than a century. They qualified as long time economic influences.
BofA is really Nationsbank (NCNB), NationsBank took over BofA and NationSBank changed it's name to BofA, the HQ of BofA was in SF for like 100 years then moved to Charlotte with the takeover by NB.
first Union took over Wachovia, changed its name to Wachovia, the Wachovia HQ was in Winston Salem.
As far as Textiles coming back to Charlotte, that was sacrasim, they are in Mexico now and will never return, as those were mostly low paying jobs anyway, I remember when there still were lots of Textile Mills in Charlotte and the surrounding area, that was in the 70's.

Charlotte has relied too much on banking for the base of it economy.
With the HQ of Wachovia probably leaving it will be a huge loss for CLT.
It is possible that one day BofA could move it's HQ back to SF.
That would be a dark day for Charlotte.

Atlanta has a much more diverse economy there, Tech, Telecom, Airlines, aerospace, multipule Forturne 500 HQ's, where as Charlotte has just a few Fortune 500 HQ's there, all of them being banking. Of course Atlanta is abotu 5 times bigger than CLT, but still more diversified economically.

As I have heard there is lot of high rent condos being built in CLT now, so a housing bust could be in order as well.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:13 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,315,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I read that, for a fee, Dell will now provide "U.S. based" tech support.

I wonder if that'll catch on?
Hell, I'd pay for a SALES person that speaks English. Sales is crappy. Customer service is absolutely the worst. Ive spent 6k with this merchant in 15 months, and they dont give a rats rear about anything but following their stupid script!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or