U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:43 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,605,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo33 View Post
Yet the unemployment rate in CLT is skyrocketing.
It is one thing to be optimist, it is another thing to just be bolsterous, and ignore the facts of reality and keep touting Charlotte as some utopia that can never be effected or slow down the growth. The fact is the business of Charlotte is banking and banking related businesses.
The fact is a good percentage of the HIGH paying jobs in Charlotte are in the banking industry, and the banking industry is now taking a huge hit. Yes, Charlotte will be effected by that. No Charlotte will not turn into another Detroit, but the growth in the city will definately be effected by losing one of the MAJOR corporate HQ of the city, and as it was stated in the article BofA will someday relocate their HQ to NYC. That is really inevitable.
A large part of the reason the unemployment rate is higher now is because so many people rushed to live here (many without jobs! or stable jobs) in the last 2 years. Our population increased by 60,000 a year for the last several years, so now that we are in a recession and jobs everywhere are tough to find all these folks are in a pickle. SOME high-paying jobs were/are with the banking industry - but there are far more high-paying jobs in many of the other companies located here. This city will not dry up and blow away into a ghost town just because the face of banking is changing here, as much as I know that will disappoint you to hear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 09:46 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
GONZO - do you ever do any research or do you just rely on popular media pablum to shape your opinions?????

NASCAR? Trucking? Spend some time finding out about the major employers here, including international employers. Citing NASCAR and Trucking as the growth factor here is sheerly ignorant.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:46 AM

93 posts, read 175,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
A large part of the reason the unemployment rate is higher now is because so many people rushed to live here (many without jobs!) in the last 2 years. Our population increased by 60,000 a year for the last several years, so now that we are in a recession and jobs everywhere are tough to find all these folks are in a pickle. SOME high-paying jobs were/are with the banking industry - but there are far more high-paying jobs in many of the other companies located here. This city will not dry up and blow away into a ghost town just because the face of banking is changing here, as much as I know that will disappoint you to hear
What are the other main industries in Charlotte other than banking that have high paying jobs?
If Charlotte economy can not absorb new people looking for employment then the economy is stagnate or in decline.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:48 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
Quote:
What are the other main industries in Charlotte other than banking that have high paying jobs?
If Charlotte economy can not absorb new people looking for employment then the economy is stagnate or in decline.
Google it and find out for yourself. We have posted this info all over this forum for two years now. I don't have to justify what I write; I know where I stand b/c I have done my research. Do yours b/f you start posting your opinion as if it were "fact."

Old 01-11-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
GONZO - do you ever do any research or do you just rely on popular media pablum to shape your opinions?????

NASCAR? Trucking? Spend some time finding out about the major employers here, including international employers. Citing NASCAR and Trucking as the growth factor here is sheerly ignorant.
Ok, I am asking you. What are they then? What are the other major industries in Charlotte that are not realted to banking and the financial sector?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:49 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,658,701 times
:Sigh:

It's been a few weeks.....you must have forgotten post #26 and post #50.

In case you are confused, distribution center doesn't mean "trucking".

Quote:
A distribution center for a set of products is a warehouse or other specialized building, often with refrigeration or air conditioning, which is stocked with products (goods) to be re-distributed to retailers, wholesalers or directly to consumers. A distribution center is a principle part, the "order processing" element, of the entire "order fulfillment" process. Distribution centers are usually thought of as being "demand driven'. A Distribution center can also be called a warehouse, a DC, a fulfillment center, a cross-dock facility, a bulk break center, and a package handling center. The name by which the distribution center is known is commonly based on the purpose of the operation. For example a "retail distribution center" normally distributes goods to retail stores, a "order fulfillment center" commonly distributes goods directly to consumers, a cross-dock facility stores little or no product but distributes goods to other destinations.
Distribution centers are the foundation of a "supply network" as they allow a single location to stock a vast number of products. Some organizations operate both retail distribution and direct-to-consumer out of a single facility sharing space, equipment, labor resources and inventory as applicable.

The way a typical retail distribution network operates is to have centers setup throughout a commercial market. Each center will then service a number of stores. Large distributions centers for companies such as Wal-Mart service 50-125 stores. Suppliers will ship truckloads of products to the distribution center. The distribution center will then store the product until needed by the retail location and ship the proper quantity.

Since a large retailer might sell tens of thousands of products from thousands of vendors, it would be impossibly inefficient to ship each product directly from each vendor to each store. Many retailers own and run their own distribution networks, while smaller retailers may outsource this function to dedicated logistics firms that coordinated the distribution of products for a number of companies. A distribution center can be co-located at a logistics center.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Google it and find out for yourself. We have posted this info all over this forum for two years now. I don't have to justify what I write; I know where I stand b/c I have done my research. Do yours b/f you start posting your opinion as if it were "fact."
So you shoot down my post and yet tell me to "google it" when I ask your Opinion of what the other major industries are in CTL.
Hardly a valid response.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Ok, I am asking you. What are they then? What are the other major industries in Charlotte that are not realted to banking and the financial sector?
One more time...Lowes, IBM, Duke Energy, Family Dollar, just to name a few.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
One more time...Lowes, IBM, Duke Energy, Family Dollar, just to name a few.
Those are not industries (industry sectors I.e banking, manufacturing, etc), they are companies. Are you sure you understood my question? I was asking about job sectors of the CLT economy not a list of companies.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Those are not industries (industry sectors I.e banking, manufacturing, etc), they are companies.
Semantics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or