Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:26 PM

93 posts, read 202,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Hell, I'd pay for a SALES person that speaks English. Sales is crappy. Customer service is absolutely the worst. Ive spent 6k with this merchant in 15 months, and they dont give a rats rear about anything but following their stupid script!
Sending US jobs overseas is bad in the long run, there needs to be Federal incentives for companies to keep jobs in the US and create more jobs here, right now it is the opposite. NAFTA should be ended, it does not benefit American workers at all, only greedy corporations, it is decimating the middle class in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 08:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Default Moderator note

keep it local

Old 12-26-2008, 08:33 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Well, as I recall from my International Business classes a few years ago, there are more than 300 International companies that have their American HQ here in Charlotte. That in addition to many other companies that are either HQ here or have large operations here....maybe they are not as visible as the banks or Carolinas Healthcare, but, they actually do exist.

Yes, banking has been a large part of our economy here in Charlotte, and, loosing WB as the HQ will be a huge loss, not only in jobs but in prestige. Charlotte had become the second largest banking center outside of NYC and the possibility of loosing that "title" will be emotionally devastating. I am also quite sad at this turn of events. (see the thread: Goodbye to Wachovia)

HOWEVER, Americans and certainly Charlotteans are resilient. A few years ago when one textile mill after another was shutting down and the jobs moved elsewhere, we all thought that those poor people in those communities would simply fall apart. But, they toughed it out. Sure, there were issues and a lot of people suffered. But, at the end of the day, they learned new trades and, almost surprisingly, new industry has been moving in little by little and replenishing the stagnant job market in those areas.

I suspect that the banking sector will do the same. Many bankers have been out of work for quite awhile already due to the many mortgage operations centers that shut down earlier this year. Add to that the potential job losses from both BOA & WB and it really could appear to be time to panic. But, bankers are a fairly intelligent group. They will seek out the "recession proof" kinds of jobs or other industries that will utilize their talents. Personally, I am a banker and still employed (thank God) but, I am attending school to become a paralegal. My prayer is that I will remain employed long enough to get my degree! Even if that does not happen, I am ever watchful of the trends and hope that I can adjust myself to follow a trend, even on a temporary basis to bring in the cash needed to survive so that I can get my degree...and, hopefully get a better job.

Loosing one's job is definitely not an easy thing to deal with. So many emotions added to the reality of loss of income...it is a seriously rough thing. And, when the two most visible employers in a city make such announcements, it is scary. But, Chicken Little, the sky is not falling; even if it seems like it...we'll be ok.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:37 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Hell, I'd pay for a SALES person that speaks English. Sales is crappy. Customer service is absolutely the worst. Ive spent 6k with this merchant in 15 months, and they dont give a rats rear about anything but following their stupid script!
speaking as one who actually is in a telephone support position currently, we get into very serious trouble if we deviate from the script by only one word...
(and the calls are recorded, so, that is how they know)

e-mail is the way to go.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well, as I recall from my International Business classes a few years ago, there are more than 300 International companies that have their American HQ here in Charlotte. That in addition to many other companies that are either HQ here or have large operations here....maybe they are not as visible as the banks or Carolinas Healthcare, but, they actually do exist.

Yes, banking has been a large part of our economy here in Charlotte, and, loosing WB as the HQ will be a huge loss, not only in jobs but in prestige. Charlotte had become the second largest banking center outside of NYC and the possibility of loosing that "title" will be emotionally devastating. I am also quite sad at this turn of events. (see the thread: Goodbye to Wachovia)

HOWEVER, Americans and certainly Charlotteans are resilient. A few years ago when one textile mill after another was shutting down and the jobs moved elsewhere, we all thought that those poor people in those communities would simply fall apart. But, they toughed it out. Sure, there were issues and a lot of people suffered. But, at the end of the day, they learned new trades and, almost surprisingly, new industry has been moving in little by little and replenishing the stagnant job market in those areas.

I suspect that the banking sector will do the same. Many bankers have been out of work for quite awhile already due to the many mortgage operations centers that shut down earlier this year. Add to that the potential job losses from both BOA & WB and it really could appear to be time to panic. But, bankers are a fairly intelligent group. They will seek out the "recession proof" kinds of jobs or other industries that will utilize their talents. Personally, I am a banker and still employed (thank God) but, I am attending school to become a paralegal. My prayer is that I will remain employed long enough to get my degree! Even if that does not happen, I am ever watchful of the trends and hope that I can adjust myself to follow a trend, even on a temporary basis to bring in the cash needed to survive so that I can get my degree...and, hopefully get a better job.

Loosing one's job is definitely not an easy thing to deal with. So many emotions added to the reality of loss of income...it is a seriously rough thing. And, when the two most visible employers in a city make such announcements, it is scary. But, Chicken Little, the sky is not falling; even if it seems like it...we'll be ok.
Being the 2nd largest banking center in the US behind NYC is kind of not that big of a deal considering NYC has so much more than everyone else, probably the #2 thru #15 largest banking cities in the USA do not equal what NYC has.
It is not like NYC and CLT were neck and neck for title of #1 biggest banking city or even close in anyway.
The only city in the world than can come close to NYC in Banking is probably London, and London may be the biggest banking City now, not sure on that but they are close

If CLT is no longer the 2nd city for banking I guess then next largest might be Miami due ti all it;s international banking.
Being 2nd largest banking center in US behind NYC is like a race between a F-15 and a 5 WWI Bi-Planes.
The Bi-plane is not really in the race, it just becomes a race for #2 between the bi-planes.
Also as far as recession proof jobs? I don't think there is such a thing as that anymore, other than maybe healthcare.

Last edited by DrGonzo33; 12-26-2008 at 08:47 PM..

Old 12-26-2008, 09:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo33 View Post
BofA is really Nationsbank (NCNB), NationsBank took over BofA and NationSBank changed it's name to BofA, the HQ of BofA was in SF for like 100 years then moved to Charlotte with the takeover by NB.
first Union took over Wachovia, changed its name to Wachovia, the Wachovia HQ was in Winston Salem.
As far as Textiles coming back to Charlotte, that was sacrasim, they are in Mexico now and will never return, as those were mostly low paying jobs anyway, I remember when there still were lots of Textile Mills in Charlotte and the surrounding area, that was in the 70's.

Charlotte has relied too much on banking for the base of it economy.
With the HQ of Wachovia probably leaving it will be a huge loss for CLT.
It is possible that one day BofA could move it's HQ back to SF.
That would be a dark day for Charlotte.

Atlanta has a much more diverse economy there, Tech, Telecom, Airlines, aerospace, multipule Forturne 500 HQ's, where as Charlotte has just a few Fortune 500 HQ's there, all of them being banking. Of course Atlanta is abotu 5 times bigger than CLT, but still more diversified economically.

As I have heard there is lot of high rent condos being built in CLT now, so a housing bust could be in order as well.
Uh, I am fully aware of banks merged and you just re-hashed what I said about those mergers . . . except you still don't seem to get it - CLT was here a long time b/f those mergers. I thought I had succinctly outlined to you that the BofA merger did not occur til around 1992 and the others were sometime after 2002 - that is HARDLY Charlotte basing its economy on banking. And you have said nothing to refute it b/c there simply is nothing to be said.

Don't know what your point is. And evidently you are so intent on making your non-point that you are either avoiding (or purposely misreading) the actual history - and the facts.

If you want to talk about Atlanta, go to the Atlanta forum. Same for San Francisco. Charlotte is fine and gonna be fine, despite banks scaling back operations here. Yes, we will lose jobs. But look at it this way. Those additional jobs w/ the banks only came here since 1992 - and some since 2002.

This is not the portent of the collapse of civilization as we know it.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Uh, I am fully aware of banks merged and you just re-hashed what I said about those mergers . . . except you still don't seem to get it - CLT was here a long time b/f those mergers. I thought I had succinctly outlined to you that the BofA merger did not occur til around 1992 and the others were sometime after 2002 - that is HARDLY Charlotte basing its economy on banking. And you have said nothing to refute it b/c there simply is nothing to be said.

Don't know what your point is. And evidently you are so intent on making your non-point that you are either avoiding (or purposely misreading) the actual history - and the facts.

If you want to talk about Atlanta, go to the Atlanta forum. Same for San Francisco. Charlotte is fine and gonna be fine, despite banks scaling back operations here. Yes, we will lose jobs. But look at it this way. Those additional jobs w/ the banks only came here since 1992 - and some since 2002.

This is not the portent of the collapse of civilization as we know it.
Well, without the huge influence of the major banks in CLT you would have none of the growth CLT has had over the last 35 or so years, there would be no NFL team in CLT without BofA (NCNB), no NBA team, and a lot less population and high paying jobs, and no tall building in Uptown.
Yes, CLT has been around scine before 1776 but lets get real, before banking exploed in CLT and because the main economic engine for growth the main thing it had was Textile Mills and some light industry.
I remember CLT skyline in 1975, it had one tall building over 25 stories, that was the First Union building.

Basically the main growth factor for CLT over the last 30 some years has been banking, without it.. it is a different city. I remember driving down Hwy 51 in 1980, there was nothing out there then.

Obviously banking is not going to leave CLT, but a lot of the growth is definatly going to slow down due to the banking crisis and layoffs that will occurr.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
We are just gonna have to disagree. First of all, the Hornets were a done deal in 1987. That was b/f the BofA merger. After the Hornets, discussion started re: what would become the Panthers. Discussion about the Panthers also pre-dated the BofA deal - pre-season games were held in 1989, as I remember when that was going on. So you are just wrong.

No city in America looks like it did 35 years ago.

New businesses continually move here, as was pointed out much earlier in this thread. BofA and Wachovia were not the reasons new businesses moved here. The demographics of the region - from workforce to burbs and weather and cost of living are what have attracted new businesses (including international corps).

Listen - I have no vested interest in how successful Charlotte is. I don't work for the Chamber; I don't own property uptown, lol. I just think all the doom and gloom about Charlotte's Collapse is highly exaggerated. I am concerned about the job loss, most certainly. But it ain't like Wachovia employees will leave - and the last one turns the lights out, ya know?

Old 12-26-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We are just gonna have to disagree. First of all, the Hornets were a done deal in 1987. That was b/f the BofA merger. After the Hornets, discussion started re: what would become the Panthers. Discussion about the Panthers also pre-dated the BofA deal - pre-season games were held in 1989, as I remember when that was going on. So you are just wrong.

No city in America looks like it did 35 years ago.

New businesses continually move here, as was pointed out much earlier in this thread. BofA and Wachovia were not the reasons new businesses moved here. The demographics of the region - from workforce to burbs and weather and cost of living are what have attracted new businesses (including international corps).

Listen - I have no vested interest in how successful Charlotte is. I don't work for the Chamber; I don't own property uptown, lol. I just think all the doom and gloom about Charlotte's Collapse is highly exaggerated. I am concerned about the job loss, most certainly. But it ain't like Wachovia employees will leave - and the last one turns the lights out, ya know?
I am not saying the Bof A merger made the city, I am saying NCNB growth and aggressive merger tactics (taking over regional and national banks and merging them into NCNB/NationsBank HQ in CLT) had a lot to do with the growth of the city, a lot as being the MAIN factor for growth of CLT to what it is now.
CLT is maybe the smallest metro population with a NFL team.
Nationsbank had a very large influence in bringing the NBA and NFL to CLT, when the NBA came to CLT, CLT was the smallest city to have a NBA team.
I never said CLT was going to collapse like Detroit, however a HUGE percentage of CLT growth is due mostly to the banking industry based in CLT.

There is no shame in acknowledging the fact that CLT is a med sized city with two huge banks and definately NOT a world class city, even thought the CLT media wants you to believe CLT is a World Class city. CTL is not a ATL, or a Dallas, or a Houston or a Miami, it is much more a Columbus Ohio, or a Orlando, or a Nashville type city.
I am not trying to put down CLT or anything, I am just stating facts.
Being a Med sized city is good in some ways.
Hell, Atlanta is a total hellhole. The out of control growth in ATL has made it nearly unlivable, and I lived there for like 8 years.
Even with 12 lanes of freeway in ATL you sit in traffic for hours at a time, is that fun or make it a world class city? No. Atl is NOT a world class city either.
Believe me, CLT does NOT want to be like ATL in any way , shape or form. However CLT seems to be very conservative and too religious for my tastes.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Charlotte the major distribution center of the Southeast and one growing in both national and international importance.
Charlotte: Information from Answers.com

Charlotte is the center of the nation's sixth largest urban region and home of many of the nation's top firms.

Out of 8 various industries finance, banking ranks 6th in importance in Charlotte
Charlotte Chamber - Million Dollar Corporations
Of the Million Dollar Corporations located in Charlotte, 420 have headquarters here. Eight of these headquartered firms are ranked among the Fortune 500
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte