Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 01:28 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,303,190 times

Advertisements

I remember seeing on the news that they were going to announce which projects uptown were going to be cancelled. Did anyone see this? If so can you tell me which projects were cancelled? If you didn't see it but know, can you tell me? I really hope that thr Trump project didn't get cancelled but I have a feeling it did. When will we get a 70+ story building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 12:53 PM

236 posts, read 695,542 times
We will get at 70+ story building when rents or sales price per square foot of the condos foot justifies the cost of construction. My guess is 5 - 10 years. Trump and One Charlotte are likely two projects that are on permanent hold, as is the Citaden. I give 200 S. Tryon more of shot because of its location and mixed use component, but I dont see that happening for 3 - 5 years.

The contract for the Hal Marshall Building on North Tryon was dropped about 2 weeks ago so that's on hold indefinitely as well.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:36 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I remember seeing on the news that they were going to announce which projects uptown were going to be cancelled. Did anyone see this? If so can you tell me which projects were cancelled? If you didn't see it but know, can you tell me? I really hope that thr Trump project didn't get cancelled but I have a feeling it did. When will we get a 70+ story building.
I think the Trump project wasn't suppose to even get off the ground until 2010. Maybe the economy will turn around by then.

Have you seen all the cranes Uptown...there are still alot of projects underway.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:04 PM

414 posts, read 1,277,510 times
I'm sure for the condo projects we'll just have to see what types of businesses the Queen City can continue to attract.

But as for arts and entertainment, many projects are still in the works, such as: the new Mint Museum, African American Cultural Center, Modern Art Museum, NASCAR Museum, performing arts and dance theater, renovations of the Discovery Place, possible ball park/ city park, the Epicenter and the NC Music Factory. Even in depressed economic times, our city is enjoying quite a great face lift.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:43 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,344,307 times
It may sound all bad right now, but Charlotte has a history of building in recessions. The BofA building was built during the recession of the early 90s. Charlotte also was awarded a NFL team at the end of that same recession. During the fuel crisis of the 70s, Charlotte was building the tallest tower between Atlanta and Philly (40 storey NCNB building) along with a few other towers in the 30 storey range. Soon, Charlotte will have MLB (around 2015 I think) so things are gonna get MUCH better!!! Have you guys seen the wonderful urbanity developing around the East/West Blvd LYNX station???!!! That area near the new Lowes looks like something that you would expect to see in uptown!!! It is the smaller urban projects like these that will eventually give Charlotte that urban big city feel that most of us wish to see. I know I am excited!!!

Old 12-28-2008, 12:14 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It may sound all bad right now, but Charlotte has a history of building in recessions. The BofA building was built during the recession of the early 90s. Charlotte also was awarded a NFL team at the end of that same recession. During the fuel crisis of the 70s, Charlotte was building the tallest tower between Atlanta and Philly (40 storey NCNB building) along with a few other towers in the 30 storey range. Soon, Charlotte will have MLB (around 2015 I think) so things are gonna get MUCH better!!! Have you guys seen the wonderful urbanity developing around the East/West Blvd LYNX station???!!! That area near the new Lowes looks like something that you would expect to see in uptown!!! It is the smaller urban projects like these that will eventually give Charlotte that urban big city feel that most of us wish to see. I know I am excited!!!
I agree with most of what you said (except the MLB statement, LOL). I don't think people realize how well positioned Charlotte is. The city is still booming. I'm shocked to drive around and actually see home communities still going up, and not just Uptown. And even though some projects Uptown have been delayed, there are still several others that are moving full steam ahead, like the Vue, Center City Green and The Garrison. All someone has to do is just take a drive downtown in the middle of any week and you'll see all the construction still going on. Its incredible.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:59 PM

236 posts, read 695,542 times
The BofA building started in 1989 before the recession and had a credit worthy tenant as an anchor. This would have gotten financed anywhere. Charlotte got the NFL in 1995 and it was announced in 1993 along with the Jaguars, long after the 90-91 recession had ended. While Charlotte is nice, it really isnt that special.

All the projects that are under construction werer all financed/started during good times. All those new home communities were also planned and started when times were good. It doesnt mean the developers/builders are making any money. The same can be said for some of the uptown projects.

IMO, I think 2015-2020 is probably a reasonable timeframe for baseball in Charlotte, probably at the expense of some other city...the KC Royals come to mind...which is fine with me.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:02 PM

16 posts, read 29,837 times
My dh is a project mgr in one of those high rises at City Center (the RitzCarlton), and it seems that all the projects his company has in the works are still going 'full steam ahead' at this point.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:27 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blabber View Post
The BofA building started in 1989 before the recession and had a credit worthy tenant as an anchor. This would have gotten financed anywhere. Charlotte got the NFL in 1995 and it was announced in 1993 along with the Jaguars, long after the 90-91 recession had ended. While Charlotte is nice, it really isnt that special.

All the projects that are under construction werer all financed/started during good times. All those new home communities were also planned and started when times were good. It doesnt mean the developers/builders are making any money. The same can be said for some of the uptown projects.

IMO, I think 2015-2020 is probably a reasonable timeframe for baseball in Charlotte, probably at the expense of some other city...the KC Royals come to mind...which is fine with me.
Bring on baseball. I wish they would start the new baseball stadium Uptown.

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 12-29-2008 at 04:39 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 07:41 AM

257 posts, read 669,439 times
Here is a decent article about this from the Observer. Seems like bank buildings will cease for a while and there won't be competition to go up since there will only be one bank HQ. Also, it is odd that he brought up the possibility for BofA to move to NYC. I really hope that does not happen!

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/dougsmith/story/441812.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte