U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 AM
 
2,152 posts, read 6,056,769 times
Reputation: 1377

Advertisements

A friend of mine recently had a baby. When we had our baby one of the best gifts we received was a "Stoller Blanket" from Pottery Barn Kids which was emroidered (From Pottery Barn) with our daughters name and birthdate.

I was up late one night and ordered the same blanket to be sent to them. Unfortunately, I hit the wrong key when entering the date and put "December 8, 2009" instead of 2008.

Obviously, this was my error and Pottery Barn won't exchange or do anything for me, except sell me another blanket. Which I don't disagree with, since I made the error and didn't scrutinize the order confirmation before hitting send.

QUESTION: Is there any place around here that would be able to fix the embroidery for me? I spent about $60.00 for this blanket and would hope that there's a place around here that could remove the embroidery and re-do it. I'd hate to buy an new one, which I may have to do if there isn't anyplace that can fix it. I don't know much about embroidery and am hoping someone here has a suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2008, 08:34 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 6,989,864 times
Reputation: 4402
I feel for ya'...

Reminds me of Christmas last year when my sister-in-law got a book made for her grandfather, about her grandfather. It was BEAUTIFUL, and looked very well finished... the only problem? She misspelled her grandfather's name as Doulgas, rather than Douglas... LOL.

You'd think they'd have someone in QA/QC to spot obvious mistakes like that, but I guess that would cut into their "re-order" profits.

Good luck with your request... I'm sure there is someone around that can help with your problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Indian Trail near S. Charlotte
210 posts, read 445,100 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
A friend of mine recently had a baby. When we had our baby one of the best gifts we received was a "Stoller Blanket" from Pottery Barn Kids which was emroidered (From Pottery Barn) with our daughters name and birthdate.

I was up late one night and ordered the same blanket to be sent to them. Unfortunately, I hit the wrong key when entering the date and put "December 8, 2009" instead of 2008.

Obviously, this was my error and Pottery Barn won't exchange or do anything for me, except sell me another blanket. Which I don't disagree with, since I made the error and didn't scrutinize the order confirmation before hitting send.

QUESTION: Is there any place around here that would be able to fix the embroidery for me? I spent about $60.00 for this blanket and would hope that there's a place around here that could remove the embroidery and re-do it. I'd hate to buy an new one, which I may have to do if there isn't anyplace that can fix it. I don't know much about embroidery and am hoping someone here has a suggestion.
Try a local sewing machine store. I think there is a good one in Gastonia that could help you. They could at least give you the name of someone in the area who may have a small business doing machine embroidery. I know there are 2 stores in the Triad, but Sew Original in Lewisville and Randy's Quilt Shop in Greensboro. Sew Original has a website, so you may be able to contact them online and ask if they know of anyone. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,813 posts, read 55,771,747 times
Reputation: 18989
It shouldn't be too hard to turn a 9 into an 8. Look in the yellow pages for embroidery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 02:09 PM
 
256 posts, read 1,044,063 times
Reputation: 98
If you live in the Blakeney area, you can try Mudd Pie. They do embroidery. Also, at Carolina Place Mall, there was a kiosk (sp?) and I noticed they had a small embroidery machine.

I used to work in an embroidery shop in CT. Truthfully, I doubt that anyone is going to want to take the risk of ripping out the embroidery and just fix the one number or the entire year. They might not want to take the chance of ruining it. The whole thing would have to be ripped out and then re-embroidered, since it will be hard to re-align without making it noticeable. They will probably charge for ripping it out and then for the new inscription. I would be happy to try to take it out for you, but there is no guarantee that I won't knick the fabric. I've done it many times before. But, then again, you won't be able to use it if you keep it the same either. It might be worth a shot, if it comes out okay? I can tell just by looking at it if I would be able to do it.

You can e-mail me at Mom2jacknjess@gmail.com if you want me to try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Indian Land
628 posts, read 1,854,913 times
Reputation: 465
I've seen a new shop by Lowes foods on 521 and Lancaster called Embroidme.....maybe they can help you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 03:13 PM
 
11,836 posts, read 25,432,978 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jacknjess View Post
Also, at Carolina Place Mall, there was a kiosk (sp?) and I noticed they had a small embroidery machine.
I was thinking the same thing. Isn't there a similar kiosk at Southpark Mall too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 05:57 PM
 
2,152 posts, read 6,056,769 times
Reputation: 1377
Thanks Everyone, I wonder if an embroidery place can make the 9 an 8? Just close the loop you know? I will check and see. I live right across the street from that new place on 521 and will check it out on Monday.

Thanks again for the suggestions!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Moon Over Palmettos
5,975 posts, read 17,556,376 times
Reputation: 5005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Thanks Everyone, I wonder if an embroidery place can make the 9 an 8? Just close the loop you know? I will check and see. I live right across the street from that new place on 521 and will check it out on Monday.

Thanks again for the suggestions!!!
Can you take as clear of a picture as you can of the embroidery and post it? The font selected spells how difficult it is to remedy this. I don't know about picking the stitches out...embroidery is very very dense stitching, and even those with advanced machines cannot just re-embroider something in the middle...the whole set is an entire file that has a beginning and an end. If the stitches are not dense, thick satin ones, someone may be able to hand embroider that "9" and turn it into an "8". I would have to see a pciture and then I can tell you the possibilities...and do it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 09:20 PM
 
256 posts, read 1,044,063 times
Reputation: 98
You won't be able to just make the 9 into an 8. You won't be able to realign the needle in the right spot and besides it is done on computer, so you have to program the computer to do the 8 exactly over the 9 and it won't work. It's a lot harder than you think.

If the embroidery is backed with facing it can be easily taken out with a razor. I have done it many, many times. But everywhere the needle enters the fabric, you will, of course, see a tiny hole.

Honestly, the best thing to do is take the few stitches out of the bottom of the 9 so it looks like the top half of the 8 and then hand-stitch the bottom circle of the 8 using a backstitch that is used in cruel or needlepoint. If you try to lign up the computer and the embroidery machine, it is not going to lign up exactly and it won't look right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top