Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:27 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Seems like the only thing this thread is good for is race baiting, making the OP no better than the "supposed" prejudiced or "racist" people in her examples.
Brian, I really don't think she's trying to bait anyone - I sense she is truly frustrated and looking to either vent of raise some kind of awareness for her "cause".

While I know bigots and racism do in fact exist in this world (and city) it's hard for me to go all doom and gloom on the subject when I see so much positive progress in the way races are interacting and intermingling. There is of course room for improvment, but in my "white" world my son has a black roommate, my favorite doctor is a woman AND black, my two all time favorite priests are also black and my husbands tennis partner is black. But I'm just a typical southern white woman whose faith teaches her that God is colorblind

Old 12-27-2008, 10:08 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

jstn- you are a man after my own heart. you just spoke your mind which is the truth. racism exist within ALL groups of people-period. whites do not have a monopoly on it. i have found that if i treat people with respect and kindness, i will be treated the same. there are sorry people in every community. I am a conservative native north carolinian that watched my home state vote for a black man for president and a woman for govenor. My hometown of Raleigh elected the first black mayor of a major southern city back in 1974. Charlotte has had a black mayor as well as a female mayor. Enough said.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:12 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerski16 View Post
I walk up N Tryon everyday to work, near the VA center. I mind my business, but I'd say about 3 times a week I'm yelled at or given upfront remarks about my race. It makes me very uncomfortable, but what else can one do? So if you're asking "is racism alive in Charlotte?" then my answer is definitely, yes.
Although in my case the comments aren't "closet."

I'm a white male in his mid 20's.

I used to live and worked in a liquor store a few blocks away from Newark, NJ. The overwhelming majority of my problems stemmed from one particular race of people, all totally unprovoked.

I'm a white male in my late 30's.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:13 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
At the same time, reality is reality. Like I said, I'm a black male, a rather large one at that (about 6'6" - 280lbs), yet I still watch my back when a group of young black males with their baggy pants, bandanas hanging from their pockets get on the train behind me. Why? Because I watch the same news that "little old white lady" watches.

I find it hard to believe that you should be watching your back.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:16 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
At the same time, reality is reality. Like I said, I'm a black male, a rather large one at that (about 6'6" - 280lbs), yet I still watch my back when a group of young black males with their baggy pants, bandanas hanging from their pockets get on the train behind me. Why? Because I watch the same news that "little old white lady" watches.
I am a (6'4" -225lbs) black male and I honestly watch my back when ANY person get on the train behind me. I do understand your post and I think it is well written.

I have seen racism thoughout Charlotte. It is all over America so lets get that straight before I continue. The one pattern I have noticed is that racist blacks tend to be the most vocal while racist whites tend to be more . This is a huge shift from what this country saw 50 years ago when it was the whites that were vocal and blacks kept quiet.

I have also noticed that Gastonia seems to have integrated blacks/whites better than Charlotte. I see a MUCH larger percentage of black/white couples in Gastonia than I do in Charlotte. I also see cars filled with young blacks and whites riding together in Gastonia more often than I do in Charlotte. I know I am not the only person that has noticed this. Why does it seem that Gastonia is integrating different races and classes better than Charlotte? Could it be that Charlotte should stop and take notes from Gastonia on how to fully integrate the community or am I just wrong about Gastonia all together?

Old 12-28-2008, 06:04 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Racism exists everywhere, including Charlotte - no place is immune to it. But that is a problem of THIS world, it won't be in the next
+1

As long as people come in different colors, unfortunately there will be some form of racism or prejudice somewhere.
And I agree with loves, I am pretty certain there will not be colors in heaven.
I realize this post is about black/white, but what about the Jews?
They have been persecuted globally for thousands of years.
We live in an imperfect world and each must do our part for a better tomorrow.

jstn, great post.
Walking uptown at night I would be just as concered seeing a 'gang' of white kids than black, or hispanic.
It is the no good they might wish upon me, not their color.

At the end of the day it still boils down to respect for oneself, respect for others, and respect for authority.
Is that racist?

Last edited by mullman; 12-28-2008 at 06:33 AM..

Old 12-28-2008, 06:17 AM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,904,497 times
"Birds of a feather flock together" is human nature...in every part of the world. And it's not just whites who are racist. We had a Japanese exchange student living with us last year and when I took her to NYC, it quickly became clear how much she disliked the Chinese. She made numerous negative comments about those she saw throughout the day and when I questioned her about her feelings, she claimed they are looked down upon in Japan.

No matter where you go, groups judge other groups and they are always going to do it. Since moving to NC, I've experienced some negativity and wisecracks because I hail from the North. It's ok. I understand I'm going to be judged. It's human nature. Those who are not white assume they're being judged because of their color. That's not necessarily the case at all. We all experience discrimination -- some are just more sensitive to it.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:27 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
A list of conflicting groups that, to me, are more vocal, hateful and real than racism in Charlotte:

Democrats vs. Republicans
Yankees vs. Southerners
NC State vs. UNC
Raleigh vs. Charlotte
Charlotte School Board vs. each other and reality
Eminem vs. Moby

Old 12-28-2008, 06:31 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native_son View Post
charlotte school board vs. Each other and reality
Truth on so many levels, LOL

Old 12-28-2008, 06:41 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Eminem vs. Moby
LOL!!!

Awesome...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte