U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charlotte: infrastructure, college, graduate, racism information, education.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:58 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times

Advertisements

Mike - what an inspiring and uplifting post. Thank you for taking the time to share it with all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
It's an obstacle but don't hold your breath. Uniting a racially/ethnically diverse population hasn't happened in Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans, and it won't happen in Charlotte.
I continue to believe our biggest challenges are w/ educating our children so that they will CHOOSE to become productive members of society.

A person can CHOOSE to live in any part of this city that he/she wishes to live in. I can't live in Myer's Park b/c I can't come up w/ the $$$ to buy a $1 M house. Same for the rest of the population here - if you have the cash/credit, you can CHOOSE to live anywhere you can afford to live. There is no discrimination BY LAW - including w/ banks who cannot deny mortgages based on race/ethnicity/religion/sexual orientation, etc.

So I really don't get the discussion about "uniting" this (or any other) city. People CHOOSE where to live based on their budget. Same w/ apartments.

Economic advantages come about b/c people have spent the time getting educated so they can land a good job . . . and spent time budgeting their money once they have established a career. These are skills we are TAUGHT and have to LEARN. A person has to be motivated enuff to care about what path he/she is on. The only way I know for a person to get on a stable path is thru/ educating him/herself.

I live in an established neighborhood w/ houses ranging from about $250,000 to $450,000. We have retired people, single people, white families, Asian families, Black families, Hispanic families and gay couples. Everyone CHOSE to live here. I would say we are racially/ethnically diverse but it is not something I think about - it is just LIFE. It is not an ISSUE to be focused on. We are all just trying to raise our kids, enjoy our evenings, manage our budgets, pay our taxes. Do any of us care who moves into our neighborhood? Heck no, as long as they don't do things to disturb the peace.

I don't get the activist type statements about "uniting" this city or "forcing integration." This city is integrated; there just happen to be historically black communities that have stayed that way. Race may be the big reason these folks decide to stay in a black community. I don't know b/c I have never asked anyone why they chose to live where they live - it is none of my business.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:19 AM

367 posts, read 930,194 times
Charlotte is the most integrated place I have ever lived. This is one city where there is a large educated and successful minority population. We are neighbors and get along fine. Race is not a problem. Poverty is a problem and making the poor and middle class live together is not going to fix anything. It will give the poor that are unwilling or unable to lift themselves up thatchoose crime as a short cut, easier access to victimize those that are better off.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Charlotte is the most integrated place I have ever lived. This is one city where there is a large educated and successful minority population. We are neighbors and get along fine. Race is not a problem. Poverty is a problem and making the poor and middle class live together is not going to fix anything. It will give the poor that are unwilling or unable to lift themselves up thatchoose crime as a short cut, easier access to victimize those that are better off.
It is the most integrated place I have ever lived, as well. Of course, when I lived in the burbs of Kansas City, the TOTAL minority population was less than 7% for that whole county.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:30 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,615,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
I have to agree. I do think that sometimes a person can be in an area so long that that don't "see" it like others do either.

Basically, our opinions are relative to our experiences. If as a mixed race couple Blondie and Urban have experienced "looks" or ugly comments that could tend to make them feel that Charlotte is full of racists. And that makes me very sad for them. When you are the one who has been targeted for such nasty behavior I am sure it is very upsetting and maybe even scary. Not to take anything away from their experience, their story, but it just doesn't mean things are as dire overall as they may feel they are. I come from the deep south, Louisiana, so believe me, it's all relative.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:32 AM

549 posts, read 1,566,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So I really don't get the discussion about "uniting" this (or any other) city.
I think that the poster was talking about getting people put what is best for the city above what is best for their racial/ethnic group. Take CMS for example; oftentimes when a new school is opened to relieve overcrowding in southeast CLT or north Meck county, CMS will open a new school or do renovations to a school on the west side to preempt accusations that black people aren't getting their fair share. It's nonsense.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:43 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,292,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't get the activist type statements about "uniting" this city or "forcing integration." This city is integrated; there just happen to be historically black communities that have stayed that way. Race may be the big reason these folks decide to stay in a black community. I don't know b/c I have never asked anyone why they chose to live where they live - it is none of my business.

A few years ago I worked with a chinese woman. I remember talking to her about moving to different places. She told me that if she were to move she would want to live in an area with a high concentration of Asians. I never took that as a hateful statement against white people, black people, Indian people, anybody. She wanted to live in a community that reflected her culture. Personally I see absolutely nothing wrong with that logic.

I'd rather live in a mostly white community for a variety of reasons, and I firmly believe that black people would want to live in a mostly black community (again for a variety of reasons). There's no "hate" in each race doing just that.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
I think that the poster was talking about getting people put what is best for the city above what is best for their racial/ethnic group. Take CMS for example; oftentimes when a new school is opened to relieve overcrowding in southeast CLT or north Meck county, CMS will open a new school or do renovations to a school on the west side to preempt accusations that black people aren't getting their fair share. It's nonsense.
Well, this thread was actually started b/c it was moved from another thread . . . so I have not been really certain what the discussion has really been about. Several things have gotten thrown in here wh/ I find to be contorted thinking.

I guess what makes me roll my eyes about CLT is the politics of grievance wh/ I continue to hear - the rhetoric - from black community leaders and from the black leaders that are "imported" when an incident occurs that someone feels can be publicized (i.e., the totally ridiculous Nick Mackey fraudulent voting case and the white officer who shot a young black man who was carrying a gun when shot - and the inevitable arrival of Al Sharpton, et al, to inflame the situation).

We have a black Chief of Police, for heaven's sake. And we had a much beloved black Mayor - Harvey Gantt - for several terms. We just elected a black President. So I don't get the continual clinging to the rhetoric of the past . . . we have been thru/ desegregation . . . we have been thru/ quotas . . . we are where we are b/c that is our history. People have equal access to education. Charlotte has a strong minority business community. I don't get the whines. I really do not. The divides in this city are the same as in other cities - po' folk of all races can't afford to live in rich neighborhoods. This is news???????

Old 12-29-2008, 12:08 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,057,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
A few years ago I worked with a chinese woman. I remember talking to her about moving to different places. She told me that if she were to move she would want to live in an area with a high concentration of Asians. I never took that as a hateful statement against white people, black people, Indian people, anybody. She wanted to live in a community that reflected her culture. Personally I see absolutely nothing wrong with that logic.

I'd rather live in a mostly white community for a variety of reasons, and I firmly believe that black people would want to live in a mostly black community (again for a variety of reasons). There's no "hate" in each race doing just that.

Really? What are your reasons? serious inquiry

Old 12-29-2008, 12:18 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,615,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Really? What are your reasons? serious inquiry
No offense, but he seemed to explain it pretty well already. He said some people want to live "in a community that reflect their culture" and he can relate to that. It does make sense to me too. For instance, if you are a Jew and wish to have neighbors that also celebrate the kind of holidays and holy days you do, that no one else does, I could see trying to find an area concentrated with other Jewish families. It's meant as no slur against anyone of another faith, just an attempt to live entrenched in the parts of your culture that you value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or