Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charlotte: infrastructure, college, graduate, racism information, education.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:36 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,102,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The thing is, I bet the majority of parents in those poor urban areas don't want to be there raising their kids either. Many of them just get stuck, inertia sets in along with hopelessness and the cycle is passed on to the next generation.
I agree, especially w/ the inertia . . . I think that there are also a lot of factors such as simply living how you know to live. I have done a lot of research on the aftermath of Katrina and what has happened to people who were basically living off the government dole in the 9th Ward of NOLA. It appears to me that young people continued to stay there b/c they knew how to live there. They were surrounded w/ others who passed on a cultural acceptance of lifestyle behaviors that they repeated . . . and so - certain lifestyle choices were common and accepted and prevalent. It really doesn't matter what you see outside your world; when you are taught that "this is how we do things" - people tend to fall into that way of thinking w/o examining alternatives. This is especially true when young people drop out of high school and then are totally surrounded by people who are enmeshed in socio-economic inertia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 10:41 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,516,515 times
Quote:
The thing is, I bet the majority of parents in those poor urban areas don't want to be there raising their kids either. Many of them just get stuck, inertia sets in along with hopelessness and the cycle is passed on to the next generation.
Ever heard of abstanance or a condom or the pill. You can get FREE condoms & the pill FREE at the health department. There is NO reason at all!

Old 12-30-2008, 10:49 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,497,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I agree, especially w/ the inertia . . . I think that there are also a lot of factors such as simply living how you know to live. I have done a lot of research on the aftermath of Katrina and what has happened to people who were basically living off the government dole in the 9th Ward of NOLA. It appears to me that young people continued to stay there b/c they knew how to live there. They were surrounded w/ others who passed on a cultural acceptance of lifestyle behaviors that they repeated . . . and so - certain lifestyle choices were common and accepted and prevalent. It really doesn't matter what you see outside your world; when you are taught that "this is how we do things" - people tend to fall into that way of thinking w/o examining alternatives. This is especially true when young people drop out of high school and then are totally surrounded by people who are enmeshed in socio-economic inertia.
I 100% agree with this point. Unfortunately, there is not too much outsiders can do about it. People will either try to pull themselves out or they won't. It is easier to succeed in this country than any other, people should count their blessings they are here instead of some third world country.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,350,619 times
Quote:
The thing is, I bet the majority of parents in those poor urban areas don't want to be there raising their kids either.

If you already live in a depressed area, you really shouldn't be having kids and raising them in that environment in the first place. That's just high stakes irresponsibility. If I had the desire to have kids, I certainly would wait until I'm better established and out of some 'hood. If I lived in some rough urban area the last thing I'd be thinking about is bringing a kid into that environment.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,316,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
If you already live in a depressed area, you really shouldn't be having kids and raising them in that environment in the first place. That's just high stakes irresponsibility. If I had the desire to have kids, I certainly would wait until I'm better established and out of some 'hood. If I lived in some rough urban area the last thing I'd be thinking about is bringing a kid into that environment.
While I agree with you Brian, the problem is, these people are already living in this environment and are entrenched in the mentality of sticking with what is familiar - so they go ahead and have kids without any thought to the potential consequences for the child or society. Like I said, enertia sets in.

Let me say, Hurricane Katrina for all it's tragedy did do one good thing - it forced many of those living in conditions like we've been discussing (for generations!) to move out and forward with their lives. Many of those people had never seen a life outside of their communities. When they were forced to go to places like Colorado, Utah, North Carolina, etc... they saw that there is a whole other world out there that they were missing out on. Many of those folks are now flourishing and doing better than ever before. Katrina forced them to overcome some of their inertia.

Charlotte was on its way to having a few of these kinds of neighborhoods (anyone remember Earle Village?) but fortunately things were razed there to make way for better scattered site housing developments and mixed communities where people of all income levels could live if they worked and took responsibility for their lives.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:13 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,260,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
Black men commit crime out of proportion with their numbers in the general population and out of proportion with men of other races with similar socioeconomic status. Why?
You should probably ask black men who commit crime. I don't know the answer. How can you be so certain black men with similiar SES commit more crime? Is it because more are caught committing crime? Those stats don't tell us how many people and ethnic groups commit crime but tell us of known cases, cases of people who have been caught.

Those stats are informative but I have learned that stats only tell a small percentage of the story. And depending on what stat you're looking at it may not tell anything. An example is when people say that X condition is costing X amount of dollars to treat.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:23 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,350,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Those stats don't tell us how many people and ethnic groups commit crime but tell us of known cases, cases of people who have been caught.

Right, those are the black men who have been caught, which happens to be a lot. What it also doesn't tell us is how many of them who are committing crimes that aren't being caught. That percentage could be extremely high as well, which would make the overall stat that much more frightening.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,102,358 times
What concerns me is . . . how many repeat offenders we have in this city - and that goes for all races. We do a Catch and Release program here . . . kinda like fly-fishing.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:54 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,260,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What concerns me is . . . how many repeat offenders we have in this city - and that goes for all races. We do a Catch and Release program here . . . kinda like fly-fishing.
How does the catch and release program work? Isn't jail suppose to rehab people? It seems to be doing a wonderful job.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:59 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,516,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
How does the catch and release program work? Isn't jail suppose to rehab people? It seems to be doing a wonderful job.
The jails are over crowded...that is why so many are released time and time again.

Charlotte adopted a new concept years ago...Hug-A-Thug!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte