U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Charlotte: infrastructure, college, graduate, racism information, education.

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-30-2008, 03:18 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
Reputation: 22371

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
How does the catch and release program work? Isn't jail suppose to rehab people? It seems to be doing a wonderful job.
Lord, no. Jail is where criminals step up their techniques to the next level. I used to think jails did rehab, too. Was I ever shocked to find out this is bull. They don't even have good mental health care, much less rehab . . . and job training is very limited, plus violent offenders are often not allowed into those programs (cause they are violent).

I will never forget the first study I did on the penal system and rehab. It was a short report. Very short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2008, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,756,066 times
Reputation: 2109
If you're going to make statements about stats at least have the maturity to quote a credible source that we can base a discussion on. So far Ani is the only one who's done this.

Or if we simply want to make stuff up as we go along then let's agree to that, but don't pass the former off for the later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 04:45 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
Reputation: 22371
As for repeat offenders, Chief Monroe seems to be trying every route possible to get a grip on this issue. I am impressed w/ how he has come into CLT and is addressing the issues here. Now if the DA's office will concur . . . and it appears they plan to . . .

New Charlotte Plan May Keep Repeat Offenders In Jail - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,276,820 times
Reputation: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
If you're going to make statements about stats at least have the maturity to quote a credible source that we can base a discussion on. So far Ani is the only one who's done this.

Or if we simply want to make stuff up as we go along then let's agree to that, but don't pass the former off for the later.

It seems that ani's source backed up the two I initially posted, particularly "the color of crime" one, just with much more clarity. I understand that ani's a more respected poster than I am, so coming from her it seems more genuine. Which I totally understand, she has my complete respect as well and is far more of an asset here.

If you don't think there's a problem with crime in many black communities that's fine. However I have yet to see one white poster come on here and challenge me by saying that in all honestly they would willingly up and move into a black community. In fact, I'll go so far as to bet that an overwhelming majority of white posters here live in a mostly white community completely by choice. If people are going to be completely honest with themselves, I'll bet moving into a black community was never in the running for places to live. You'll move out of Charlotte before you move your family into a black community.

Go ahead...if any of you who moved into a mostly white community, questioning what I'm saying, ask yourselves all of the reasons why you did and why you didn't end up in a black community, why one was probably never in the cards. All of them.

It sounds brutal but it doesn't make you any less of a person for your choice, so long as pure hatred isn't your motivation. A white person with a good heart, a black person with a good heart, anyone with a good heart...I'll give you the shirt off my back without thinking twice. I'm color blind when it comes to good people. I'm also not about to play it up so sweet as to look to point out problems in white communities in order to counter the enormous problems in far too many black communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,756,066 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
It seems that ani's source backed up the two I initially posted, particularly "the color of crime" one, just with much more clarity. I understand that ani's a more respected poster than I am, so coming from her it seems more genuine. Which I totally understand, she has my complete respect as well and is far more of an asset here.

If you don't think there's a problem with crime in many black communities that's fine. However I have yet to see one white poster come on here and challenge me by saying that in all honestly they would willingly up and move into a black community. In fact, I'll go so far as to bet that an overwhelming majority of white posters here live in a mostly white community completely by choice. If people are going to be completely honest with themselves, I'll bet moving into a black community was never in the running for places to live. You'll move out of Charlotte before you move your family into a black community.

Go ahead...if any of you who moved into a mostly white community, questioning what I'm saying, ask yourself all of the reasons why you did and why you didn't end up in a black community, why one was probably never in the cards. All of them.

It sounds brutal but it doesn't make you any less of a person for your choice, so long as pure hatred isn't your motivation. A white person with a good heart, a black person with a good heart, anyone with a good heart...I'll give you the shirt off my back without thinking twice. I'm color blind when it comes to good people. I'm also not about to play it up so sweet as to look to point out problems in white communities in order to counter the enormous problems in far too many black communities.
The link you posted is from the New Century Foundation and Jared Taylor- every conservative main stream personality has backed off of him as being a nut, I initially heard of him due to Pat Buchanan a couple of years ago. He's quoted as saying that the Japanese are superior to white people, and white people are super to black people. He was so far out their Pat Buchanan had to retract his initial agreement with Jared and this group. Most notably he's friends include those who believe interracial marriage is poisonous, and has an audience of white separatists . The list of Jared and his absurdities goes on and on however that's neither here nor there. I initially left this out in my response when you posted it, since I wasn't attempting to make that the focus of my response, but since you brought it up again it's worth fleshing it out.

I'm under the assumption that you either googled for something to support your thoughts (which is fine) and picked the first link that seem to fit (in this case the color of crime paper) or you actually subscribe to the the foundations newsletter- it's really not that big of a deal to me, however you should at least know the source you're citing to backup your statements before putting it out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,276,820 times
Reputation: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
The link you posted is from the New Century Foundation and Jared Taylor- every conservative main stream personality has backed off of him as being a nut, I initially heard of him due to Pat Buchanan a couple of years ago. He's quoted as saying that the Japanese are superior to white people, and white people are super to black people. He was so far out their Pat Buchanan had to retract his initial agreement with Jared and this group. Most notably he's friends include those who believe interracial marriage is poisonous, and has an audience of white separatists . The list of Jared and his absurdities goes on and on however that's neither here nor there. I initially left this out in my response when you posted it, since I wasn't attempting to make that the focus of my response, but since you brought it up again it's worth fleshing it out.

I'm under the assumption that you either googled for something to support your thoughts (which is fine) and picked the first link that seem to fit (in this case the color of crime paper) or you actually subscribe to the the foundations newsletter- it's really not that big of a deal to me, however you should at least know the source you're citing to backup your statements before putting it out there.

That's fine and I do appreciate you pointing that out to me (I honestly didn't know). Believe me, I had a lot to choose from. I liked ani's link better myself because like I said, it addressed the issue with far more clarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:15 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top