U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2008, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Huntersville
1,852 posts, read 4,666,013 times
Reputation: 525

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
But again, wouldn't most transportation problems be solved if people chose to live NEAR their activities vs have a long commute?
IMHO all this transportation only furthers the problem of people living 45+ minutes from their work.
Not always a solution, you can only have so many people in one spot. I live pretty close to uptown where I work, and a decent size house and yard, but would take the train, even if doesn't save time, because at the ened it could be the right thing to do. In most societies you have a centralization or zoning of focus, i.e. retail here, industry there, housing over there. Uptown is the concentration of business, yes there is housing, but if you want a yard you live in Suburbia. Decentralization of cities doesn't seem to work very well, you lose certain effeciencies, like airport, trucking, financial access.

But to your point, yes, if I could walk to everything it would be grand, but that doesn't seem to be realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2008, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,707,022 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
But again, wouldn't most transportation problems be solved if people chose to live NEAR their activities vs have a long commute?
IMHO all this transportation only furthers the problem of people living 45+ minutes from their work.
I can't personally imagine why anyone would commute 45min - 1hr to work (I commute 1 minute)...that is less time away from their families. Spending time with families is much more important than having lower taxes or a larger yard or a larger home in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 01:48 PM
 
549 posts, read 1,561,694 times
Reputation: 231
I doubt that original CATS projections took into account $3 - $4/gal gas prices that we saw through October of this year. It will be interesting to see whether LYNX ridership is sustained if gas prices stay between $1.50 - $2/gal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,707,022 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
I doubt that original CATS projections took into account $3 - $4/gal gas prices that we saw through October of this year. It will be interesting to see whether LYNX ridership is sustained if gas prices stay between $1.50 - $2/gal.
I am sure it will. The park-n-Ride lots are FREE and saves people that work Uptown between $100 - $175 a month to park Uptown. I hope that it stays successful and continues to grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 02:09 PM
 
549 posts, read 1,561,694 times
Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I am sure it will. The park-n-Ride lots are FREE and saves people that work Uptown between $100 - $175 a month to park Uptown. I hope that it stays successful and continues to grow.
I also hope that ridership grows. I think that Charlotte should levy a congestion tax on uptown parking spaces. $5/day would add about $150/month to the price of a parking space. It would generate revenue and at $250 - $325/month even more people would be parking and riding. Of course uptown businesses could do what my buddy did earlier this year when he moved his business to Southpark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,707,022 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
I also hope that ridership grows. I think that Charlotte should levy a congestion tax on uptown parking spaces. $5/day would add about $150/month to the price of a parking space. It would generate revenue and at $250 - $325/month even more people would be parking and riding. Of course uptown businesses could do what my buddy did earlier this year when he moved his business to Southpark.
With all the growth Uptown...alot of the surface lots have gone away and the only parking is in decks. Glad we have 3 assigned spaces in 2 different Uptown (4th Ward) locations. We have 3 cars.

Love the Uptown workers that think they can park on the streets in 4th Ward for FREE...Wrong! You have to live in 4th Ward and have a city parking decal to park on the streets. I have ssen many cars towed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,102,313 times
Reputation: 2323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Not always a solution, you can only have so many people in one spot. I live pretty close to uptown where I work, and a decent size house and yard, but would take the train, even if doesn't save time, because at the ened it could be the right thing to do. In most societies you have a centralization or zoning of focus, i.e. retail here, industry there, housing over there. Uptown is the concentration of business, yes there is housing, but if you want a yard you live in Suburbia. Decentralization of cities doesn't seem to work very well, you lose certain effeciencies, like airport, trucking, financial access.

But to your point, yes, if I could walk to everything it would be grand, but that doesn't seem to be realistic.
Larger cities have that option; I personally knew many people in Chicago that never even learned to drive, let alone have a car. Even there, going to the grocery store was a bit of a struggle....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,102,313 times
Reputation: 2323
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I can't personally imagine why anyone would commute 45min - 1hr to work (I commute 1 minute)...that is less time away from their families. Spending time with families is much more important than having lower taxes or a larger yard or a larger home in my opinion.
Not everyone can afford to live where they work; or they change jobs and cannot afford to sell and buy a new house where the new job is.

In some cases, if the job that you have is strenuous, the commute is a good way to decompress and get all that hostility out before you get home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 07:01 PM
 
549 posts, read 1,561,694 times
Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Not everyone can afford to live where they work; or they change jobs and cannot afford to sell and buy a new house where the new job is.

In some cases, if the job that you have is strenuous, the commute is a good way to decompress and get all that hostility out before you get home!
Everyone has to find his/her own balance. When I had a long commute I did not find it cathartic! I arrived at the office in the morning and at home at night angrier than when I'd left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,707,022 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Not everyone can afford to live where they work; or they change jobs and cannot afford to sell and buy a new house where the new job is.

In some cases, if the job that you have is strenuous, the commute is a good way to decompress and get all that hostility out before you get home!
To each his own...gas, wear & tear on your car, time away from families, traffic...etc. To some of us just doesn't make sense to commute...especially 45min to 1hr each way...that is 2hrs a day in a car. No thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top