Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:26 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darling876 View Post
Mullman, we will definitely be taking the "back way" that sounds like lots of fun and way more interesting then taking 85.
The transportation museum is in and we will try and do the heritage walking tour. all the suggestions for places to eat are awesome and we will just see what mood we are in when we are there.
Darling, great!
Double check my directions via Google Maps, I did it from memory after thousands of times, but please double check what I posted - LOL.
You will not regret traveling this way vs 85N, it is no slower.

FWIW the transportation museum is FREE.
Well, supported by your tax dollars, LOL, so you might as well check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 11:20 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I grew up in Salsibury but have not lived there for many many years. What many do not know, is that Salisbury was the MacDaddy for many years in teh 1700 and 1800's, At some point is was surpassed by Charlotte, but in earlier times it was a major hub.

After you visit the downtown, You will want to spend some time along Fulton Street and Ellis Streets, on both the North and South side of Innes. Lots of Historical Homes, you can walk around and look.

A couple of blocks off the square is St Luke's Episcopal Church. Very historic, from about 1830, I think. If it is open, you should try to visit there. Huge organ and stained glass windows. Until my mom died in 2005, there was a Rice/Horton/Cox rear end in the "Rice Pew" from pretty much day one.

Two interesting cemetaries. One is beside St Lukes, was called "the old English Cemetary" when I was growing up. The other is about a mile south of square and it is US Cemetary. Salisbury, as you may or may not know was the home of a rather notorious prison for Yankees during the War for Southern Independence. Rather moving place.

I won't try to direct you, but the Salisbury Country Club is a Donald Ross course that opened in the 1930's. It is rather special. If your husband plays golf, he will at least want to ride by. If I recall, and it has been awhile, I think there is a marker or some acknoldgement of Donald Ross on the first tee.

Salisbury High School is on some historic register due to the architecture, it is on Lincolnton Road

As far as BBQ, I really like Gary's in China Grove. Probably the best in NC. Winks in Salsibury is pretty good as well. Gary's is on "old 29" and Winks is east of town, on the road to Faith.

So, a quick buzz around downtown, a walk through the West Side Historical District,check out the cemetary and a trip to the golf course and transportation museum should give you a nice trip. Good Luck.

lln

Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 AM
LLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
FWIW, my grandfather restored the turntable (huge rotating platform for the trains) back in the 80s.
FWIW, my grandfather ran the "roundhouse" (the turntable mentioned above) from the end of WWII until the Spencer Shops closed in late 1950's. During the War, he was in some sort of critical personnel category, exempt from military service and worked on the RR out of Columbia, keeping Fort Jackson connected. He returned to Salisbury, and to his job at Spencer, following the war.

lln

Old 12-30-2008, 02:07 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
FWIW, my grandfather ran the "roundhouse" (the turntable mentioned above) from the end of WWII until the Spencer Shops closed in late 1950's. During the War, he was in some sort of critical personnel category, exempt from military service and worked on the RR out of Columbia, keeping Fort Jackson connected.
Know that my grandfather was in his 70s at the time he worked bro-bono for the museum (early 80s).
Several of his cars are in there (his specialty was Model T and A restoration).

Your grandfather probably knew my great-grandfather (my grandfather mentioned above - his father) who worked at the railroad from the 20s until 1955 when he died of a heart attack. He worked at the railroad (Southern) before and after WW2 (he served in Europe). So basically a railroad man his entire life reporting to the Spencer yard.

My great-grandmother drew his pension until 1993 when she died at 98 years young.
As a child I used to ride in her green Pontiac GTO to the bank when she cashed her Southern railroad check.
This was circa early 70s and my treehouse in her old yard is still visible on Faith Road in Salisbury...

Last edited by mullman; 12-30-2008 at 02:23 PM..

Old 01-01-2009, 03:38 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
When we went to library meetings in Salisbury, we always visited the store for teachers. So many study helps there. I would say there is something for everybody. I don't even know the name of the store but it is just a couple of blocks from the library.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:21 AM
LLN

Sooooo.................How was the trip?????

Old 01-04-2009, 06:37 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Just reading all these posts makes me impressed at how much history we have here on C/D!!

How interesting!

Old 01-04-2009, 10:42 AM

359 posts, read 1,143,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Sooooo.................How was the trip?????
Didn't make it yet , a girlfriend of mine who I hadn't seen in about a year called to say she was driving down from MD to FL and was coming through Charlotte...so we hung out instead since she was leaving the next morning again..We are now replanning lol. for a Saturday before the end of the month...
I will let ya'll know how it was..

Old 01-04-2009, 04:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
to be fair to the op the coastal chatter has been move to the coastal forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte