U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2008, 12:43 PM
 
85 posts, read 174,051 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

i hope you didnt take my post personally. i didnt mean to say that you were wrong just that i wanted people to know that charlotte is a great city with plenty to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2008, 01:34 PM
 
Location: NE Charlotte, NC (University City)
1,894 posts, read 5,729,117 times
Reputation: 1041
Charlotte is just a bunch of closet racists! No culture here. (sorry...couldn't resist a reference to last week's fiasco post!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2008, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,276,820 times
Reputation: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Charlotte is just a bunch of closet racists! No culture here. (sorry...couldn't resist a reference to last week's fiasco post!)


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2008, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Reputation: 39851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Charlotte is just a bunch of closet racists! No culture here. (sorry...couldn't resist a reference to last week's fiasco post!)
hahahahahaha - now THAT'S funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2009, 06:59 PM
 
4,677 posts, read 8,034,945 times
Reputation: 1235
I haven't read this whole thread yet but I will. I think of the CLT culture first in terms of a NC sense. I think CLT has a unique culture that is fading away due to it becoming more and more a "big city" and globalisation. That may not necessarily be a bad thing. I think of CLT as an underrated pioneering city. We first discover gold and sign a declaration of independence but not many people know this.

So in short I would describe CLT's culture as follows. I am an alumnus of WC high school. CLT has a strong minority presence that blends well with other cultures. It is a bit slower paced, but we're southern, that's how we like it. There is a bit of country flare to it. If anyone drinks coffee the best java is at Jackson's Java by the university and also the coffee cup has great southern cooking. That's all I have for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2009, 01:18 PM
 
570 posts, read 542,296 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I've been to San Diego - it was lovely to visit. Even went to Torry Pines - loved it. But I don't want to live there - it's too expensive and the homeless population is astoundingly huge. You practically trip over a homeless person on every street corner. Not to mention those CROWDED freeways.
Hmmm. I've been in San Diego almost seven years, and I've yet to trip over a homeless person. Are there homeless people here? Sure. Do I see them every day? No. Once a week . . . maybe. But every city in this country has a homeless problem. If you think Charlotte doesn't, you're wearing blinders. I was in Charlotte a couple weeks ago, and guess what? I saw homeless people. The reason I think you encountered homeless people when you were in San Diego, and why I encountered them in Charlotte, is that we were both drawn to areas when we visited that all locals don't necessarily venture into on a daily basis. You were probably in some touristy, or high commerce, area when you were here, which is the very type of place that draws homeless people. They're more likely to pick up a few dollars in such areas than, say, my neighborhood. In Charlotte, for the same reasons, they'll hang out in or nearby downtown, like the street corner pan handler I passed going to lunch on Morehead St.

As for the freeways being crowded, this isn't L.A. I only experience bad freeway traffic during rush hour, and for my commute, it's not that bad. I'm 12 miles from work and on a bad day, it takes me 30 minutes to get to work. Further north, in northern San Diego, the afternoon rush hour is worse than what I experience. But I don't live up there and I have no reason to go there, so it doesn't affect me at all. Frankly, I've experienced traffic in Charlotte on I-77 and I-485 that's just as bad as anything I encounter in San Diego.

Back to the homeless problem. If it is more problematic here (and I don't know that it is), it could be that homeless people are drawn here because of the weather. They know they're not going to freeze to death on the streets here. And yes, it is incredibly expensive here and we're experiencing one of the highest foreclosure rates in the country. So for that reason, in the months ahead, we may indeed see more homeless people emerge here than in most other places. That remains to be seen. I don't know how bad the foreclosure problem is in Charlotte, but it's REALLY bad in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2009, 01:23 PM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,156,301 times
Reputation: 14558
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
The perception of the city of Charlotte is strictly in the eyes of the beholder. Charlotte is what you want it to be. It is many things. If you want it to be a party town, it is. If you want it to be a great family town, it is.

I want it to be Krasnoyarsk!

Can it be Krasnoyarsk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2009, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Reputation: 39851
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
Hmmm. I've been in San Diego almost seven years, and I've yet to trip over a homeless person. Are there homeless people here? Sure. Do I see them every day? No. Once a week . . . maybe. But every city in this country has a homeless problem. If you think Charlotte doesn't, you're wearing blinders. I was in Charlotte a couple weeks ago, and guess what? I saw homeless people. The reason I think you encountered homeless people when you were in San Diego, and why I encountered them in Charlotte, is that we were both drawn to areas when we visited that all locals don't necessarily venture into on a daily basis. You were probably in some touristy, or high commerce, area when you were here, which is the very type of place that draws homeless people. They're more likely to pick up a few dollars in such areas than, say, my neighborhood. In Charlotte, for the same reasons, they'll hang out in or nearby downtown, like the street corner pan handler I passed going to lunch on Morehead St.

As for the freeways being crowded, this isn't L.A. I only experience bad freeway traffic during rush hour, and for my commute, it's not that bad. I'm 12 miles from work and on a bad day, it takes me 30 minutes to get to work. Further north, in northern San Diego, the afternoon rush hour is worse than what I experience. But I don't live up there and I have no reason to go there, so it doesn't affect me at all. Frankly, I've experienced traffic in Charlotte on I-77 and I-485 that's just as bad as anything I encounter in San Diego.

Back to the homeless problem. If it is more problematic here (and I don't know that it is), it could be that homeless people are drawn here because of the weather. They know they're not going to freeze to death on the streets here. And yes, it is incredibly expensive here and we're experiencing one of the highest foreclosure rates in the country. So for that reason, in the months ahead, we may indeed see more homeless people emerge here than in most other places. That remains to be seen. I don't know how bad the foreclosure problem is in Charlotte, but it's REALLY bad in San Diego.
Don't want to hijack the thread so I will keep my comments to a minimum. I was referring downtown San Diego - not the entire metro area. When I visited there it was shocking to see how many homeless there were on practically every street corner. Of course Charlotte has homeless people just not to that kind of extent. San Diego was a wonderful place to visit, but for raising a family it would be hard to beat Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2009, 02:23 PM
 
570 posts, read 542,296 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Don't want to hijack the thread so I will keep my comments to a minimum. I was referring downtown San Diego - not the entire metro area. When I visited there it was shocking to see how many homeless there were on practically every street corner. Of course Charlotte has homeless people just not to that kind of extent. San Diego was a wonderful place to visit, but for raising a family it would be hard to beat Charlotte
When were you here? Truth be told, before I moved here, I was in downtown San Diego (back in '01). I too was shocked by the number of homeless people I saw then. But there's been a big revitalization going on in downtown San Diego and I don't really see them anymore. Not that they're not around, just not as visible. I'm in downtown almost every day and, at least where I go, I never see homeless people. I'm more likely to see them in La Jolla now than downtown. I think I see more now in downtown Charlotte than downtown San Diego. But like I said before, because of the through-the-roof foreclosure rate in San Diego, I expect to see a lot more people on the streets in the months to come. And I'm talking about regular people, not what we have traditionally associated with homelessness (drug addicts or people with mental health issues).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2009, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Reputation: 39851
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
When were you here? Truth be told, before I moved here, I was in downtown San Diego (back in '01). I too was shocked by the number of homeless people I saw then. But there's been a big revitalization going on in downtown San Diego and I don't really see them anymore. Not that they're not around, just not as visible. I'm in downtown almost every day and, at least where I go, I never see homeless people. I'm more likely to see them in La Jolla now than downtown. I think I see more now in downtown Charlotte than downtown San Diego. But like I said before, because of the through-the-roof foreclosure rate in San Diego, I expect to see a lot more people on the streets in the months to come. And I'm talking about regular people, not what we have traditionally associated with homelessness (drug addicts or people with mental health issues).
Yeah, it's been a few years since I was there - my brother lived there and I used to visit him but he moved to Raleigh 3 years ago. Glad to hear they may have cleaned up the downtown a bit, I really did love the the places we visited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top