Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 06:25 PM

97 posts, read 238,556 times

Advertisements

If Charlotte is known for its character, then it certainly has character. This character should be strong, and made broad to places like Los Angeles, Detroit, New Orleans, Miami, San Fransisco, and so forth. We need a city like this in our neighborhoods nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 10:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
I moved here from Little Rock, Arkansas last year. I will say that Charlotte may not be the biggest and most exciting city on the planet, but there is plenty to do here for everyone. A lot of people from larger cities bash Charlotte for being redneck and Bible Belt, and it is if that's what you want it to be. Thing is there is enough people in this city and enough diversity that pretty much anyone can find their niche. There is ample nightlife options for most people and most styles, nearly every ethnicity is represented in the cuisine, and great shopping for a city this size. In my opinion Charlotte has enough that it won't bother me to drive to Atlanta for the few things I may want to see or do that aren't offered in Charlotte. There are things the city should work on, like urban infill and also increasing road capacity to be able to handle the growth, but overall its a really great place to live and for its size, one of the best cities in the country. Those who think Charlotte is bad should visit Memphis, TN (one of Charlotte's peer cities) sometime.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:51 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Those who think Charlotte is bad should visit Memphis, TN (one of Charlotte's peer cities) sometime.
Possibly, but I've got to say that Memphis has loads of character. I'd rather live here than there, but it has a pretty strong local culture.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:02 AM

631 posts, read 1,227,938 times
Why is it that everytime someone mentions Charlotte dealing with amenities and culture, Atlanta is the first thing bring up. Is it that lots of people that way visit Atlanta for things that Charlotte doesn't offer or is it the biggest city close to Charlotte to compare lifstyles..

Another thing why bring up other cities who already have there own character and culture and say you need to have more like them. That would defeat the purpose of building and having your own culture and identity, if your going to imitate what other cities have . I think Charlotte should follow it's own path and make a name for itself without trying have what everyone else has... The city should do something that sets itself apart from the rest.

Last edited by RudeBoy21; 01-23-2010 at 06:13 AM..

Old 01-23-2010, 06:39 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,194,850 times
Charlotte culture?

Until recently it was Nouveau riche and redneck rich (post textile boom). A self-absorbed Piedmont city with so much confidence it bordered on megalomania. Pretentious, southern snooty (as much as could be conjured this side of Charleston) but with a healthy tolerance for individuality... as long as it wasn't at the expense of the general public. After living in the triangle area I came to realize that Charlotte was somewhat exclusive and unrefined. And certainly a bit unfriendly. There used to be a huge difference (culturally) between Charlotte and her neighbors in Raleigh, Winston, Greensboro, Columbia... but with all the transplants over the last 10 years I don't think those characterizations are so accurate anymore. Add to that the epic spiral of the major banks anchoring our uptown area and the diminished "banker swagger" and I really see a city in flux.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:50 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Possibly, but I've got to say that Memphis has loads of character. I'd rather live here than there, but it has a pretty strong local culture.
Memphis may have a strong local culture but that city has more than its share of problems for its size. In my opinion these problems outweigh the cultural advantage the city has.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:54 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,896,480 times
Charlotte is a medium sized city with a very diverse population. Over 60 percent of the population is from out of country or state. It is very difficult to characterize a city with a diverse population. We are not a midwestern city. We are full of New Yorkers and people from huge cities as well as a population that is 1/7th from foreign countries. We have grown like other large cities. The core of locals is being outnumbered daily. Everyone I know from Boston or New York consider the city as much like theirs on a smaller scale.

Charlotte has never been a backwards, redneck town. It has always been very progressive and business minded. It is a self-made city because of hard work, and liberal laws for business, banking, etc. Everyone that I know as a local judges people for the way they act and no other reason. I hope all people everywhere do the same. Charlotte is obviously a pretty tollerant city. Just because a city is southern doesn't mean that the old stereotypes exist or anything is any different than anyplace else, other than accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte