Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:58 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyd View Post
As a native....I recall a time when the area around Eastland was considered very much middle class and every bit as nice as the area around Northlake. In the late 70's and early 80's the area was one of the best places in Charlotte to live, work, shop, and not get mugged. If you would have suggested in 1980 that Eastland would be a dumpster in 20 years, people would have laughed at you. So maybe my 2015 prediction is a bit soon, but take it to the bank....Northlake has nowhere but down to go.
You are absolutely correct in your postings. The truth sometimes hurts the weak. I remember Freedom Village being the place. There were nice restaurants, clothing stores, and my dad even belonged to the Optimist Club that had their meetings there. Unfortunately, all cities are going through the same problems as we unless one lives in Utah, Idaho, Dakotas, or Wyoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 11:23 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
So because I refuse to believe Northlake will become an Eastland-esque area, I'm "weak?!?!"

Sorry...but if you accept it (even thinking it's a possibility when it's such a remote idea is accepting it), then it has a better chance of happening. If you deny it and stand against it, you can keep it from happening. But all it takes is a few weak spots in the armor to bring down a whole wall. What I mean is that as long as the people who've bought homes and enjoy using this area don't accept it and demand action be taken against thugs ruining the mall-going experience, things will be fine. But let some panty-waist get their voice heard that "we shouldn't be labeling people as thugs" and "they need a place to shop too"...THAT will be the weak spot in the armor.

I for one, as a resident in this vicinity, will not idly stand by and watch trash ruin my town. I have no idea what happened in the 80's to kill Eastland, but this will be a case of learning from history...not repeating it.

But all this said...shut up with the negative talk about the area already. Seriously, I have no other nice way of putting it. The Northlake shopping area is one of the best in the region...better than Southpark if you ask me...but I'll leave subjectivity out of this. Why badmouth an area that is great, especially when the other side of your mouth is talking about the economy and we need to support businesses to keep people from getting fired? You want to fan the flames, then don't go shopping and deter people from Northlake.

This is just another case of people having too much gloom in their own life and they're trying to spread it to everything else around them.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:30 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Good post Steve... I always assumed Eastland went down b/c of the crappy planning around the 74 corridor. Hopefully the city has learned their lesson in that regard. Comparing eastland and northlake is a fool's folly...

Old 04-20-2009, 11:38 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Good post Steve... I always assumed Eastland went down b/c of the crappy planning around the 74 corridor. Hopefully the city has learned their lesson in that regard. Comparing eastland and northlake is a fool's folly...
I think your assumption is at least part of the story. Then, we got absentee landlords and Section 8 housing conversions . . . That is simply not the situation w/ Northlake - the location is entirely different, as are the plans for surrounding communities and their growth and development.

Plus, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, the police Chief is being proactive w/ Northlake Mall. This alone will keep crime from escalating.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:09 PM

246 posts, read 583,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think your assumption is at least part of the story. Then, we got absentee landlords and Section 8 housing conversions . . . That is simply not the situation w/ Northlake - the location is entirely different, as are the plans for surrounding communities and their growth and development.

Plus, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, the police Chief is being proactive w/ Northlake Mall. This alone will keep crime from escalating.
I also thought Section 8 was a big part of the demise of Eastland.

I will continue to patronize Northlake as my budget allows. There's a chance that ANY part of town could go to the dumpster given the right mix of conditions.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:42 PM

79 posts, read 344,077 times
I am astounded by the amount of theft and holdups going on at Northlake. It is obviously an upscale shopping area where you wouldn't expect such crime, but unfortunately that entire Harris Blvd has become questionable at night

Old 04-20-2009, 08:37 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,404 times
Metllisteve and Anifani -- i'm leaving this one to you two. ;-)

Old 04-20-2009, 08:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Metllisteve and Anifani -- i'm leaving this one to you two. ;-)
Dern, Baybook . . . I clicked back on this thread when I saw you had posted!!! Don't leave me out here by myself!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:41 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,404 times
OK... I can't resist.

How many miles long is WT Harris again?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:05 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
How did the planning around the 74 corridor hurt Eastland? That makes no sense to me. So, you don't think that crime was the major downfall of Eastland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte