U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2009, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
34,519 posts, read 40,026,768 times
Reputation: 17950
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
How did the planning around the 74 corridor hurt Eastland? That makes no sense to me. So, you don't think that crime was the major downfall of Eastland?
It changed the ambience of the neighborhood and brought residential property values down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2009, 08:20 AM
 
Location: NE Charlotte, NC (University City)
1,894 posts, read 3,694,258 times
Reputation: 974
There is never really one single culprit for bringing down an area. Poor planning (e.g. 74 where everything is a pain in the butt to get to) makes for a less-serviceable area compared to other areas (say, Southpark). The folks who can afford to will not consider the are poorly-planned area as an option any more and will move elsewhere. This drops property value. Low property values have the uncanny ability to attract crime. Crime further exacerbates the problems in the area. On a political level, typically speaking, these types of areas are a little less vocal...that means they'll get less attention for infrastructure improvements: roads, utilities, etc.

It's one big cause and effect relationship...each part has it's own significant part to play...some are more visible than others (crime) because they're more of an immediate effect. Changing access from a main road takes a little while to kill businesses...while being mugged at gunpoint takes about 20 seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2009, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
34,519 posts, read 40,026,768 times
Reputation: 17950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
There is never really one single culprit for bringing down an area. Poor planning (e.g. 74 where everything is a pain in the butt to get to) makes for a less-serviceable area compared to other areas (say, Southpark). The folks who can afford to will not consider the are poorly-planned area as an option any more and will move elsewhere. This drops property value. Low property values have the uncanny ability to attract crime. Crime further exacerbates the problems in the area. On a political level, typically speaking, these types of areas are a little less vocal...that means they'll get less attention for infrastructure improvements: roads, utilities, etc.

It's one big cause and effect relationship...each part has it's own significant part to play...some are more visible than others (crime) because they're more of an immediate effect. Changing access from a main road takes a little while to kill businesses...while being mugged at gunpoint takes about 20 seconds.
Excellent post. Thank you for the great insight on that area - including the political implications. Planning itself can start a chain effect that leads to decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2009, 05:35 AM
Status: "Taxd Enough Already" (set 7 days ago)
 
1,315 posts, read 1,046,696 times
Reputation: 1121
Humm....Northlake Mall. It's a great mall and when it opened, the landlord knew it would draw the local thugs, so they hired excess security and it worked. They delayed opening the movie theatre and designed the building to not have access to the mall. They have good security there, but like most malls, you have to watch your back. Northlake draws thugs from the N. Tyron Rd - WT Harris Blvd. area and that will not stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2009, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
2,447 posts, read 4,475,349 times
Reputation: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejersey3 View Post
I am astounded by the amount of theft and holdups going on at Northlake. It is obviously an upscale shopping area where you wouldn't expect such crime, but unfortunately that entire Harris Blvd has become questionable at night
I hear South Park is virtually crime free. Ok it's not. It is perceived as being a lot safer than Northlake but it only had 28 less reported incidents. 302 vs 330.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
OK... I can't resist.

How many miles long is WT Harris again?
IIRC, the entire Harris Blvd is about 18 miles long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2009, 07:52 AM
 
4,227 posts, read 3,747,970 times
Reputation: 1523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Where's there's the newsflash of the century...

Here's a suggestion; start with something more simple:

1+1=2

Let me know when you master that and maybe we'll try something tougher... you've got to work your way up to basic logic when you start at the very bottom.
So this is your answer to my questioning of how #74 affected business at Eastland? If you can't supply an intelligent response without being sarcastic and avoiding the issue, it is better to just sit back and let someone else answer for you.

Last edited by vindaloo; 04-22-2009 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2009, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
34,519 posts, read 40,026,768 times
Reputation: 17950
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
I hear South Park is virtually crime free. Ok it's not. It is perceived as being a lot safer than Northlake but it only had 28 less reported incidents. 302 vs 330.
Well, it all depends on what those incidents are. Shoplifting is one thing . . . getting mugged in a parking lot is another.

I don't care where I am shopping - I am acutely aware that I could get bopped on the head or get a gun stuck in my ribs. This is the way it is. Whether I am in Dallas, TX or Orlando, FL or Georgetown, DC . . . there are criminals out there.

Most robberies occur quickly and hopefully, no one gets injured. So thugs hang out in parking decks and watch people come and go in parking lots. That is just the way it is.

Having LE around does help but security cars can't be everywhere at the same time.

I consider myself responsible for my own personal safety cause the facts are - you cannot count on someone else being around when a thug decides to strike. The only way to keep the public safe from these creeps is to get them behind bars, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2009, 03:33 PM
 
2,172 posts, read 2,361,730 times
Reputation: 1446
anifani -- how many people got mugged in the parking lot of Northlake this year? I can not get over the Northlake is a thug mall comments. I'm guessing Concord Mills is a thug mall also?

Funny, I meet with a mommy group there every so often. I'm still looking for the dangerous shoppers or folks hanging out the parking lot. I go to Borders a few times a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
34,519 posts, read 40,026,768 times
Reputation: 17950
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
anifani -- how many people got mugged in the parking lot of Northlake this year? I can not get over the Northlake is a thug mall comments. I'm guessing Concord Mills is a thug mall also?

Funny, I meet with a mommy group there every so often. I'm still looking for the dangerous shoppers or folks hanging out the parking lot. I go to Borders a few times a week.
Baybook - I don't know how many got mugged and I am with you - I have never felt unsafe there and neither has my family. When you see the crimes listed as numbers - such as in an earlier post - it really doesn't tell me much, cause how many were purse snatchings? How many shoplifting? How many a hit and run in the parking lot? The only violent thing I have heard about was that one shooting that involved gang members. So I am in the same position you are - wondering what type of crime it is - cause I am not seeing it myself personally.

I will see if I can find something more definitive. But as another poster said - even SouthPark has crime. Every mall in the USA has crime. I lived in one of the lowest crime rate areas of America, but we had an upscale mall (Nordstroms, etc) and there were still purse snatchings, car break-ins and shop lifting going on there like everywhere else.

Back in the 70s, it used to be that airports were the place to go to lift wallets and snatch purses. Now, I think less of that goes on b/c of more security but people still get luggage stolen right out from under them in airports. So to me, there are just always going to be a certain number of criminal-minded thugs out there . . . and they are going to go wherever people gather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 05:16 AM
Status: "Taxd Enough Already" (set 7 days ago)
 
1,315 posts, read 1,046,696 times
Reputation: 1121
Default I'm guessing Concord Mills is a thug mall also?

.....have you been to Concord Mills Mall on a Saturday Evening lately? I have first hand experience with having to deal with these low life thugs acting like they own the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top