U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 57,213,700 times

Advertisements

northlake isnt in the university area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,944,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
I do go to the mall often.. though I try not to go to Northlake. Teenagers congregating, eating, & making noise & hanging out isn't the problem. Check out crime statistics for Huntersville areas as opposed to where Northlake is.. you can find way more thug like creatures near northlake/the university area than Huntersville.
I'd like to check the stats. But what is a thug like creature? What stat should I be looking for?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:40 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,242,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I'd like to check the stats. But what is a thug like creature? What stat should I be looking for?
I think the thread has more or less been about gang related activity, as that was the incident that spurred this discussion initially.

I think our Chief of Police has been on top of "thuggery" at Northlake and I personally have not read of any more incidents at that mall.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:43 PM

327 posts, read 1,032,867 times
My family has been to Northlake a number of times, and we've never had problems with thugs, or gangs, or thugs in gangs, or gangs of thugs. For some reason, the University area and Northlake area continue to get bad press on this board while Lake Norman and South Park areas continue to get glowing reviews. If I read the stats correctly, Northlake had slightly more reported incidents than South Park (what 330 to 302 or so?). ITS A MALL. Kids are going to congregate there. We've let our children play in the play area and never felt that another 2 year old was going to beat our kids up. Come on people.

And as for Northlake turning into another Eastland - I seriously doubt that will happen. There are too many big name retailers in the mall and in the shopping centers surrounding the mall for that to happen. I doubt chains like Target, REI, Lowes, etc. would have moved to the area if they thought the mall would go under. Plus, part of Eastland's downfall was the abundance of older housing that surrounds the mall. Northlake has none of that. Most of the houses are relatively new (+/- 10 years).

Old 02-25-2009, 02:02 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,576,738 times
Quote:
This thread should die. If I read it and never visited the mall you would think it was crime city. I'd clutch my pearls and my purse and head straight to Southpark.

I guess the hoards of teens that I see by the movie theater and Starbucks in Birkdake mean that it's on the way to becoming Eastland also??
You wear pearls?

Old 02-25-2009, 02:06 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,944,993 times
Yep. And heels too

Old 02-25-2009, 02:16 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,526,067 times
Quote:
This thread should die. If I read it and never visited the mall you would think it was crime city. I'd clutch my pearls and my purse and head straight to Southpark.

I guess the hoards of teens that I see by the movie theater and Starbucks in Birkdake mean that it's on the way to becoming Eastland also??
No, Southpark.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:18 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,526,067 times
Surveillance cameras are a tremendous help. there should be one installed high on light posts in every car eisle. They are all over London and have caught tons of criminals and terrorists.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:42 AM

311 posts, read 795,552 times
Ew, pearls. I'm just saying I know several people who feel this way.. when in that area, you kinda have to be careful and look over your shoulder! my HUSBAND, tough guy, got nervous the other night at super target when he was walking to his car and a guy approached him saying "YO HOLD UP". He thought his life was over lol. UGh.. I just don't like to live in areas where we have to feel paranoid, and it is a valid feeling for that area.

And yes, we know Northlake is not in the university area.. but let's get real, it's like down the block and in the same area and I'm sure it's the mall choice of those living in the darn university area.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:53 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,242,129 times
Uh, pearls are something to aspire to . . . and definitely a standard here in the South. You are definitely not a Southern Belle if you don't have several strands of pearls, one of which must be inherited, LOL.

Northlake is not the hood, for god's sake. I get the feeling that some of our newcomers are not used to being around black folks. Just cause black kids are standing around - it doesn't mean you are gonna get mugged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte