U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 57,254,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
Ew, pearls. I'm just saying I know several people who feel this way.. when in that area, you kinda have to be careful and look over your shoulder! my HUSBAND, tough guy, got nervous the other night at super target when he was walking to his car and a guy approached him saying "YO HOLD UP". He thought his life was over lol. UGh.. I just don't like to live in areas where we have to feel paranoid, and it is a valid feeling for that area.

And yes, we know Northlake is not in the university area.. but let's get real, it's like down the block and in the same area and I'm sure it's the mall choice of those living in the darn university area.
You have a right to your interpretation but it is misleading newcomers.
IMO Northlake Mall area is still developing from nothing to a nice upscale area that is very easy to the interstates and uptown. Saying that University and Northlake are the same area is also misleading because they are not. It takes a good fifteen to twenty minutes to go from one to the other. Have you been to Highlands Creek ? That is closer to University and it upscale . Im sorry but your claim gives impression they are close and they are not. You have a right to be paranoid but just because someone hollars "yo" isnt a crime.
I see a high promise future for Northlake area. I have watched it being built and the new shopping centers around it and they have been built with the pedestrian and bicyclist in mind. Even Northlake Parkway was built with bike lanes in and area where there no subdivisions or apartments to go with it. They thought about the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 10:08 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,947,929 times
Thank you for stating what some would rather talk around. I wouldn't limit this sentiment to "newcomers" though.

If you read this board alone to get an impression about Charlotte... geeze. I'm not surprised there continue to be posts wondering if certain groups will feel comfortable living here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Uh, pearls are something to aspire to . . . and definitely a standard here in the South. You are definitely not a Southern Belle if you don't have several strands of pearls, one of which must be inherited, LOL.

Northlake is not the hood, for god's sake. I get the feeling that some of our newcomers are not used to being around black folks. Just cause black kids are standing around - it doesn't mean you are gonna get mugged.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:46 AM

120 posts, read 276,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Northlake is not the hood, for god's sake. I get the feeling that some of our newcomers are not used to being around black folks. Just cause black kids are standing around - it doesn't mean you are gonna get mugged.
Thank you Ani for saying what I was thinking.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:00 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,593,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
...I'm sure it's the mall choice of those living in the darn university area.
Errrrrr...wrong. Number one, Concord Mills is where I frequent (thanks to the heaven that is Bass Pro). Number two, don't darn my town!

Old 02-26-2009, 11:23 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,297,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Thank you for stating what some would rather talk around. I wouldn't limit this sentiment to "newcomers" though.

If you read this board alone to get an impression about Charlotte... geeze. I'm not surprised there continue to be posts wondering if certain groups will feel comfortable living here.
I worry about the impression people would get, too, Bay. Kinda demoralizing to read some of the stuff that gets posted cause I have lived here many decades - and my family is from N of the city . . . and it pains me to see misinformation.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,297,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyePA View Post
Thank you Ani for saying what I was thinking.
I erased it three times and then decided - let's just be adults here. Thank you for letting me know that others were feeling what I was feeling.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:36 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,099,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Errrrrr...wrong. Number one, Concord Mills is where I frequent (thanks to the heaven that is Bass Pro).

I love that place too. I could spend my time just sitting in some of the boats they have.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:09 PM

14,693 posts, read 22,479,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgirl View Post
unfortunately parking lots attract thugs, northlake is no exception.
this.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:24 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,531,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
this.
I would keep an open mind, remain vigil, and carry a taser.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 PM

311 posts, read 795,989 times
I live in the University area unfortunately as well, so it's also "my" town to darn haha. But anyway, it takes me about 5-10 min to get to northlake.. so it's in the area, perhaps technically not in the BORDERS of the University area, but i'm saying in general - it is definitely near the area!

I just like to feel safe, and when I have heard that there have been multiple shootings in the area - that is something I like to be informed about in an area and I would think newcomers would want to know those things as well. Standard safety info. I know it can happen anywhere, but I never had to worry about this in the particular area I am from, so it does make me feel a bit unsafe coming here and hearing about those shootings.. I think anyone could understand this, seriously.

I didn't know pearls were a big southern thing, interesting.

I didn't say someone yelling "yo" is a crime, honestly that's a bit ridiculous. I was simply saying that something as small as a loud voice in a parking lot of someone approaching you can be a bit nervewracking when you know there's been crime in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte