U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:05 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,511,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Uh, pearls are something to aspire to . . . and definitely a standard here in the South. You are definitely not a Southern Belle if you don't have several strands of pearls, one of which must be inherited, LOL.

Northlake is not the hood, for god's sake. I get the feeling that some of our newcomers are not used to being around black folks. Just cause black kids are standing around - it doesn't mean you are gonna get mugged.
+1 I agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:21 PM

311 posts, read 795,635 times
You should just know the facts about an area, and erego be alert! I am personally extra alert in that area, just being smart. So be smart, that's all.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:25 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,945,522 times
I'm still waiting for clarification as to what you mean by thug like young person. The fact that you think the new Super Target is scary says way more about your impressions than it does about the area.

Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
I live in the University area unfortunately as well, so it's also "my" town to darn haha. But anyway, it takes me about 5-10 min to get to northlake.. so it's in the area, perhaps technically not in the BORDERS of the University area, but i'm saying in general - it is definitely near the area!

I just like to feel safe, and when I have heard that there have been multiple shootings in the area - that is something I like to be informed about in an area and I would think newcomers would want to know those things as well. Standard safety info. I know it can happen anywhere, but I never had to worry about this in the particular area I am from, so it does make me feel a bit unsafe coming here and hearing about those shootings.. I think anyone could understand this, seriously.

I didn't know pearls were a big southern thing, interesting.

I didn't say someone yelling "yo" is a crime, honestly that's a bit ridiculous. I was simply saying that something as small as a loud voice in a parking lot of someone approaching you can be a bit nervewracking when you know there's been crime in the area.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:46 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,094,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I'm still waiting for clarification as to what you mean by thug like young person.

If it matches mine then it would be a black male, baggy pants, maybe a gang symbol (but not a requirement)... First image that comes to my mind.

Last edited by BrianH1970; 02-26-2009 at 09:59 PM..

Old 02-26-2009, 10:18 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,945,522 times
Yeah, well I hope not

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
If it matches mine then it would be a black male, baggy pants, maybe a gang symbol (but not a requirement)... First image that comes to my mind.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:35 AM

120 posts, read 276,528 times
*groan* Brian, you have a great sense of humor so I'm hoping you're being funny. I learned a long time ago to never judge a book by it's cover, it's trite but it's true. BTW, when I was at CP, I saw just as many white dudes with baggy pants, sideways cap etc. as black dudes.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:09 AM

244 posts, read 488,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyePA View Post
Thank you Ani for saying what I was thinking.
Amen! I think that a lot of newcomers are still struggling with the idea. Charlotte has a large black middle-class population, so it stands to reason that there will be a lot of black kids with disposable income. And having been a teenager at one time myself, I remember that disposable income was best blown at the mall.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:49 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,589,618 times
Quote:
...never judge a book by it's cover...
There's a time and a place for this. In some circumstances, NOT doing this could land you in a situation you'd rather not be in (e.g. with a gun of knife your side while being mugged). It would be great if we could all live in harmony, but some folks can't help but live up to their stereotypes.

To get the post back on topic, I will give it to the OP that ANY mall (not just Northlake) makes me feel uneasy just because your odds of running into some folks who'd do harm are higher. From here to Orlando to NYC to LA and back...ALL malls do this. It's why there are always folks who adamantly fight new mall developments wanting to come to their neighborhood.

As for Northlake being any different/worse than the other malls in our fine city, absolutely not. I get to my truck with my head on a swivel while visiting Southpark, Concord Mills, or Carolina Place just as much as I do while visiting Northlake. When you assume that another mall is more safe than the one you're trying to avoid, you're going to become a statistic in any city, at any mall.

If you absolutely must visit the mall and the kids who hang out really bother you, try parking at one of the department store entrances rather than the food court of movies. There's hardly ever groups of punks there.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:59 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,253,264 times
There is crime everywhere, in every city. You just didn't hear about it when you lived in Long Island. Everything gets reported here. The incident in Northlake was not typical and furthermore, it was between individuals who knew each other. Unfortunately, another young person got caught in the cross fire, and that is what made it a story. Violent crime in this region is almost always b/n two individuals who know each other or is drug related (or both). That is the way it is EVERYWHERE, not just in Charlotte.

No one thought you were stating that yelling "YO" was a crime. But it appeared to be a reference to a black person - and essentially - the theme running through this whole thread has been about black kids making people nervous at Northlake Mall - it just hasn't been stated in a forthright manner.

Charlotte is a Southern city. We have a minority population that - the last time I checked - makes up around half the residents. As others have stated, kids congregate in public places and especially around movie theatres. That is just how it is. To assume that kids (whether black or white) are hanging out just to cause trouble is not a fair assumption. Yet, that is what this thread implies.

So that is what I (and others) are objecting to - the picture that is being drawn of Northlake Mall as an unsafe area.

My family, including my elderly parents, frequent that Mall. There is no way we would be doing that if we felt we were putting ourselves in a risky position.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,094,884 times
Quote:
*groan* Brian, you have a great sense of humor so I'm hoping you're being funny. I learned a long time ago to never judge a book by it's cover, it's trite but it's true. BTW, when I was at CP, I saw just as many white dudes with baggy pants, sideways cap etc. as black dudes.

I think you've seen enough of my posts where I wasn't trying to be funny. I learned first hand over the years that if I hear "thug", my experience tells me it's a black male.

That's not a hateful statement, it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte