U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:04 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,253,264 times

Advertisements

METALLISTEVE: I do have to agree with you that I am cautious EVERYWHERE I go - whether it is SouthPark Mall or Morton's uptown. But I am that way whether in Charlotte or Denver. So I do agree with you that one should pay attention and assume that any place can be the spot where a thug is hanging out. And you can't always tell them by their clothes, either. Shoplifting is a crime, too, and people at Malls who look "nice" can be engaging in that activity right beside any of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 07:04 AM

120 posts, read 276,528 times
Metallisteve- I think we pretty much feel the same way. See, I'm cautious of all people. I come from an all white small town so all the bad guys I knew of were white, and some were women! It's smart to be cautious of *all* strangers, not just ones who look different from you. I've been known to give leery looks to little old ladies who I feel stand too close to me when I'm entering my pin at the store, you never know!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:06 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,094,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyePA View Post
Metallisteve- I think we pretty much feel the same way. See, I'm cautious of all people. I come from an all white small town so all the bad guys I knew of were white, and some were women! It's smart to be cautious of *all* strangers, not just ones who look different from you. I've been known to give leery looks to little old ladies who I feel stand too close to me when I'm entering my pin at the store, you never know!

See I worked within a couple of miles of Newark, New Jersey and most of my trouble makers were black. We have wildly different experiences. Not saying they were ALL trouble makers, but they constituted an overwhelming majority.

Bottom line is I don't trust anybody, but my attention goes to one particular group.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I think you've seen enough of my posts where I wasn't trying to be funny. I learned first hand over the years that if I hear "thug", my experience tells me it's a black male.

That's not a hateful statement, it is what it is.
Well, here in Charlotte, the preponderance of crimes are perpetrated by young black males. So that is true. However, from my own personal experience, the two times in my life I was assaulted by unknown males (once in a laundromat at 19, once on my front porch) they were both drunk white trash.

Just saying . . .

Old 02-27-2009, 07:16 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,094,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, here in Charlotte, the preponderance of crimes are perpetrated by young black males. So that is true. However, from my own personal experience, the two times in my life I was assaulted by unknown males (once in a laundromat at 19, once on my front porch) they were both drunk white trash.

Just saying . . .

I agree that your surroundings and experiences are going to dictate where your attention would go to in certain situations. I had major problems, including almost being stabbed at work in New Jersey at one point, from black people. Not once will I ever say that all whites are angels. Far, far, far from it. You cruise through some of the trailer parks in New Jersey and holy crap with the white trash... you'd keep your eye on half of the people for your own safety. But my own experience tells me that I can still feel easier in those areas than in Newark, Camden, Irvington, or any other predominantly black area.

Still, to keep it on topic, unless you're a family with a stroller, I don't trust anybody in a mall lot, white or black.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:18 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,589,618 times
...and once again, statistics mess with our board discussions!

I think we need to add a clause to the TOS for the forums:
Leave all statistical data at the door. Bring with you only biased ideas, prejudices, and opinions.

We would get along so much better here!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:56 AM

Well . . . it seems to me we all agree on these things:

1. Crime can happen anywhere, cause criminals can be hanging out anywhere.

2. Some crime occurs b/c of altercations b/n people known to one another, so the rest of us are not targets (but can get involved as innocent bystanders)

3. Anyone can be up to "no good," regardless of race or how they are dressed.

4. Ignoring drunk, high or menacing looking people, regardless of race or clothing, is a mistake.

5. All Malls have people hanging around them . . . some are harmless and some may not be

6. If you feel someone is menacing, give them a wide berth

7. Northlake Mall is no better or worse than the average Mall in any city

Old 02-27-2009, 08:53 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,945,522 times
Unfortunately, I doubt this is a joke for some.

Yes, even though the current trend in casual menswear (for Black, White, and every other group) is a looser jean/pant, some people are suspicious of any Black person not dressed in a suit and tie.

Don't you know. That's why the area is so scary!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyePA View Post
*groan* Brian, you have a great sense of humor so I'm hoping you're being funny. I learned a long time ago to never judge a book by it's cover, it's trite but it's true. BTW, when I was at CP, I saw just as many white dudes with baggy pants, sideways cap etc. as black dudes.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:54 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,945,522 times
Really, this is a fact??

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Just saying . . .

Old 02-27-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Really, this is a fact??
Sadly, Bay, it is a fact, and it is one that many of us find very troubling, as we are obviously not doing something right in this city to help at least some of our young black males get on track towards a rewarding life. I am not pointing this out to disparage; I am saying that these are the images that people see on the news - black males (usually in their 20s or younger). I think this helps perpetuate anxiety about black males.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte