U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:30 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,947,929 times

Advertisements

I understand that this is what you may see on the news, but that doesn't mean that your statement is factual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sadly, Bay, it is a fact, and it is one that many of us find very troubling, as we are obviously not doing something right in this city to help at least some of our young black males get on track towards a rewarding life. I am not pointing this out to disparage; I am saying that these are the images that people see on the news - black males (usually in their 20s or younger). I think this helps perpetuate anxiety about black males.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 10:32 AM

5,142 posts, read 6,351,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sadly, Bay, it is a fact, and it is one that many of us find very troubling, as we are obviously not doing something right in this city to help at least some of our young black males get on track towards a rewarding life. I am not pointing this out to disparage; I am saying that these are the images that people see on the news - black males (usually in their 20s or younger). I think this helps perpetuate anxiety about black males.
Well, one thing I've learned that we all might agree on. Crime, the kind we are generally referencing here, tends to be commited by poor people. I've yet to see 30-something folks from Myers Park, carjacking anyone or breaking into homes. I'd feel "quite safe" sandwiched in between Warren Buffett and Bill Cosby! But then again, Ken Lewis not knowing about those ML bonuses -I.... think not!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,297,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I understand that this is what you may see on the news, but that doesn't mean that your statement is factual.
Well, according to the Department of Justice, it is a fact. But again, I am not trying to disparage any group of people. I believe in finding solutions, not pointing fingers. And I offer this as a way of explaining why people might feel intimidated by seeing groups of young black males standing around. It is not fair; but I think it may explain the reaction.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:11 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,593,017 times
As you're likely aware of Ani, it's not just our city that has the issue of getting folks on the right track. I used to have this crazy idea as a kid in Orlando when my parents drove by a ghetto-looking area that if the "government" could focus on each person in there, give them a scholarship, build a nice school in their neighborhood, and make sure they wouldn't be held back from getting jobs that they're qualified for...that just maybe you could change their lives.

Sadly, as I've grown older and more aware of programs that already exist like this, I realize this is a far more complicated problem than it seems. You can't just throw happiness at people and hope it sticks. They have to want it.

I may sound hopeless, but I truly think there is a class of people that are just destined to always stay in their current not-so-great state, regardless of what help may be available. The few in that group who truly care and are actually motivated will eventually rise to the top and make outstanding citizens given their rough and tumble upbringing and valuable lessons learned. But for the vast majority rest of the group, they're just fine with living a life of blight, crime, "thugness," and any other miserable term we can throw at it. In fact, it becomes un-cool if they veer from that life...and dare I say, their life may even be threatened if they do! How do you combat that?!?!

If you don't believe this, look at all the repeat offenders out there, talk to a cop that's been taunted by a freshly-arrested criminal (from the other side of the plexiglass in the back of their police cruiser--before the criminal has even been processed) who swears "next time, they won't be caught," watch some interviews or read the findings of studies done on folks who live in poverty or ghetto areas and see how they'd rather be left alone than meddled with by the "gov'ment."

Old 02-27-2009, 01:56 PM

311 posts, read 795,989 times
Yes exactly.. look at the repeat offenders, look at crime stats, etc. You really can't trust anyone. Baybook, some people just have a LOOK to them and you can easily get a vibe off people you see. It doesn't necessarily have to mean they are black. But I think you can tell if a kid looks like trouble, and rather than think everyone is safe and a kind person, it is safer to not trust anyone and be alert. I think it's naive to think everyone dressed in rather ghetto clothing is a a wonderful person. I don't want to live a life full of fear, but you need to be smart when out and about.. that is anywhere of course- not just Charlotte.

There's also a difference between baggy/loose jeans and excessive bagginess, clearly! Underwear showing and whatever.. XXXXL tshirts on skinny kids.. you get the drift.

Someone on here recently posted a link to a lineup of seeeeeeeeveral Charlotte kids with myspace accounts where they had pictures of them with money and tons of guns.. I believe they were all black, maybe 2 white kids, and all with the "thug" like clothes. It's the same as when you can tell you're in a bad neighborhood by the surroundings and the way the people look.. it's just common sense.

Just be safe that is all! It's better to be alert than naive. Not everyone has southern hospitality and an apple pie in their back pocket waiting to slice you a slice.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:01 PM

and if there was a shooting at a mall on Long Island, it was most definitely heard of and reported. I don't know where people got this idea that they don't report news there. I def recall hearing about some mall shootings on the news from smaller malls further away from my house. It doesn't happen often, so it's something definitely reported.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:08 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,593,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
...an apple pie in their back pocket waiting to slice you a slice.
That would be some crappy pie! [ba-dum ching!]

You seem to be on the same page or darn close HomeSweetHome. The thing that sparked the debate was singling out Northlake Mall. Unless I'm catching the wrong vibe from you, you seem to acknowledge that it can happen anywhere. The original post just tripped some folks' alarms for defending their turf (including me!).

Old 02-27-2009, 02:10 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,297,484 times
Quote:
Not everyone has southern hospitality and an apple pie in their back pocket waiting to slice you a slice.
ROFL! Very true, HomeSweetHome. Very true.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:17 PM

Lol, yeah it's a new rule parents teach kids.. don't talk to strangers AND don't eat apple pie with lint on it. I do acknowledge it can happen anywhere.. definitely, I guess i've just heard news stories regarding Northlake mall and the Super target over there and it makes me single them out.. but, t'is everywhere. The world will only get worse and worse..

Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,947,929 times
Bigotry has nothing to do with common sense.

Quote:
Yes exactly.. look at the repeat offenders, look at crime stats, etc. You really can't trust anyone. Baybook, some people just have a LOOK to them and you can easily get a vibe off people you see. It doesn't necessarily have to mean they are black. But I think you can tell if a kid looks like trouble, and rather than think everyone is safe and a kind person, it is safer to not trust anyone and be alert. I think it's naive to think everyone dressed in rather ghetto clothing is a a wonderful person. I don't want to live a life full of fear, but you need to be smart when out and about.. that is anywhere of course- not just Charlotte.

There's also a difference between baggy/loose jeans and excessive bagginess, clearly! Underwear showing and whatever.. XXXXL tshirts on skinny kids.. you get the drift.

Someone on here recently posted a link to a lineup of seeeeeeeeveral Charlotte kids with myspace accounts where they had pictures of them with money and tons of guns.. I believe they were all black, maybe 2 white kids, and all with the "thug" like clothes. It's the same as when you can tell you're in a bad neighborhood by the surroundings and the way the people look.. it's just common sense.

Just be safe that is all! It's better to be alert than naive. Not everyone has southern hospitality and an apple pie in their back pocket waiting to slice you a slice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte