U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:43 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,568,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Bigotry has nothing to do with common sense.
I didn't see any bigot comments. Can you point them out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 08:16 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,931,176 times
Labeling an entire segment of the population thugs.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Doesn't make it ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
I didn't see any bigot comments. Can you point them out?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 PM

311 posts, read 793,517 times
Nobody did that, or at least I know I didn't say that. But thugs are out there, they just are.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:43 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,069,235 times
Quote:
Labeling an entire segment of the population thugs.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Doesn't make it ok

Someone's trying to stir an empty pot...

Old 02-28-2009, 07:31 AM

3,775 posts, read 6,741,265 times
Quote:
Really, this is a fact??
unfortunately baybrook, it's a fact. And a big one, with a wide margin of disparity.

Blacks commit murder at 7 times the rate of whites

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.htm (broken link)

anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm pretty liberal, but it's foolish to ignore the facts and your own life experiences.

I've been the victim of violent crime 4 times.

Jumped by two young black males in high school for answering a test question correctly that they missed (no kidding!)...

Robbed at gunpoint in high school at a house party by a young black male with a sawed off...

Robbed at gunpoint in college outside a waffle house by a young black male with a small-caliber hand gun...

Robbed and carjacked at gunpoint in Charlotte in a parking lot by (you guessed it) two young black males. Made my date and me lie on the parking lot while they pressed their guns in our backs and against our heads... real manly.

Also the victim of property crime perpetrated by black males.

All my lawn-care equipment stolen from my garage year before last. How do I know they were black? My neighbor watched them take it and took their license plate (stolen car, lol). They came by the house, knocked on the doors, and left. Came back 5 minutes later, knocked again and helped themselves to my stuff... about a thousand dollars worth at retail.

So I'll continue to be wary of young blacks, public opinion be damned.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:46 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,568,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
...public opinion be damned.
Amen brotha.

(and just to get a low blow in where I can)...and you didn't like Bush?!?!

Old 02-28-2009, 07:53 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,069,235 times
Quote:
Same here. It's like there's a politically correct way of looking out for yourself.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:17 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,499,897 times
Quote:
unfortunately baybrook, it's a fact. And a big one, with a wide margin of disparity.

Blacks commit murder at 7 times the rate of whites

Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Trends by race (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.htm - broken link)

anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm pretty liberal, but it's foolish to ignore the facts and your own life experiences.

I've been the victim of violent crime 4 times.

Jumped by two young black males in high school for answering a test question correctly that they missed (no kidding!)...

Robbed at gunpoint in high school at a house party by a young black male with a sawed off...

Robbed at gunpoint in college outside a waffle house by a young black male with a small-caliber hand gun...

Robbed and carjacked at gunpoint in Charlotte in a parking lot by (you guessed it) two young black males. Made my date and me lie on the parking lot while they pressed their guns in our backs and against our heads... real manly.

Also the victim of property crime perpetrated by black males.

All my lawn-care equipment stolen from my garage year before last. How do I know they were black? My neighbor watched them take it and took their license plate (stolen car, lol). They came by the house, knocked on the doors, and left. Came back 5 minutes later, knocked again and helped themselves to my stuff... about a thousand dollars worth at retail.

Thanks for being honest. It is too bad that too many in our society refuse to face reality and cover up fact with their distorted ideologies. Fact is fact. One that is naive about crime demographics is in danger. It has nothing to do with racism, it is all about common sense. There are no unsafe white neighborhoods that one need worry about while walking after dark. I am proud of that although I am sure that some will call it racist to be white and proud of our good behavior patterns. It is too bad that others can't use the safety of our neighborhoods as role models. Yes there are exceptions, but how often has a white person mugged, carjacked, or raped a black person? You know what, good behavior is encouraged for everyone. Over all, being wary is being realistic.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I doubt this is a joke for some.

Yes, even though the current trend in casual menswear (for Black, White, and every other group) is a looser jean/pant, some people are suspicious of any Black person not dressed in a suit and tie.

Don't you know. That's why the area is so scary!!!

I am betting that you are from a small, white town in the midwest? Don't know if you are really aware of the crime statistics in the Charlotte metro area. You can do some research through various channels to bring you up to date with actual numbers and demographics that could be useful information. You can reach local crime statistics through the CPD web or FBI reports. The fact is that any white that wears the baggy pants does not enjoy a higher status of respect than his black counterpart. Ninety percent of the time, a prudent person can judge a book by its cover or a person by his/her appearance. I am not referring to body piercing or trends. I am talking about "hood" wear. As a previous teacher in public schools and college, I have first hand experience dealing with kids from all walks of life. An astute person can usually look at the demeanor and dress of a person and make a accurate behavioral assessment. Shop owners get real good at it. An Arab friend of mine in Neptune Beach, Fl. has been robbed three times by blacks in his convenience store. He hardly makes a profit from all of the shoplifting by thugs with baggy pants. I do not know how he gets by with it but he does not allow more than two blacks in his store at a time. He said that they come in and work as a team. One will try to distract him while his friends steal everything they can. It is a bad situation but we are stuck with it. And yes, there are bad whites, but the numbers say it all. If I were caught stealing when I was a kid, my dad would beat me senseless and I would change my behavior. Too bad that isn't part of the aforementioned scenario. Ani, poor behavior in the hood or malls is not our fault, and it is not up to us to do something about it. It is all up to their mothers, their preachers, and their community leaders. We don't carry much influence unfortunately. All we can do is respect those that have done well, and watch our backs with the suspicious ones (any race).

Old 02-28-2009, 08:59 AM

When it is too cold, I walk around Northlake Mall. I am always amazed on Fridays with the numbers of AA youth between the ages of 16 to 30 walking around and not in school or working. Apparently they are not looking for jobs as they are dressed like gangstas. What is up with this group of young adults. Are they expecting someone to walk up to them and offer them a job? Are they waiting for their new president to give them a house? Just curious. If I were a woman, I would never go to this mall at night. By the way, the astute security service almost ran over me in front of Macy's yesterday as she was talking on her cell phone while cruising. GEEEEEZZZ!! There really needs to be another mall about five miles up Harris Blvd. towards UNCC. I can see Northlake becoming another Eastland in five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte