Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,429,119 times

Advertisements

Going back to my first post in this thread. I'm reminded of the Malls, Wal-Marts Attract Charlotte Criminals article. This was on MSNBC - Makes me wonder if more incidents go unreported.

Quote:
A woman was in her car at the top floor of the Dillard’s parking deck when police say two men surrounded her car.

Police tell us the woman did just about everything right. She leaned on her horn, locked her doors, and drove away without getting hurt. It's the mall’s actions they're concerned about.

She managed to get away and notified mall security. But no one called the police, not even mall security.

“We don't know what went amiss out there but we know we didn’t get the call,” said Sgt. David Nowlan, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department,

“Does that alarm you?” NewsChannel 36 asked.

“Yes. Obviously it does,” he replied.
Police concerned about incident at mall (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29442330/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 12:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,210,728 times
Very good post and link, NCgirl. I always park on the top out in the open and have assumed it is the safest place to park. But this just goes to show - most crimes are crimes of opportunity - so the thugs were there, the woman was there - and well . . . just lucky she reacted quickly and got away.

Crime can happen anywhere, unfortunately. Worrisome that mall security didn't even follow up on this incident, much less failed to notify police.

I personally think that mall security often purposely do not notify PD b/c management of the mall does not want the stats to show there are problems on their properties. Just a guess.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:13 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,289,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Thank you for stating what some would rather talk around. I wouldn't limit this sentiment to "newcomers" though.

If you read this board alone to get an impression about Charlotte... geeze. I'm not surprised there continue to be posts wondering if certain groups will feel comfortable living here.
I'm very happy to have read this post. Recently I have started doing some research on the Charlotte area as a place to relocate to. A number of threads I came across had me wondering about racial tension in the area. I did not go looking for this info, I just began researching schools, neighborhoods, etc and came across threads that went off on a tangent. My mood went from being a bit excited to wondering if moving out there would be a bummer.

I am happy to see that other posters echoed your sentiment. :-)

Old 04-20-2009, 06:47 AM

175 posts, read 411,201 times
Lets face it....Eastland is all but closed, so where else do you think they are going to go? Northlake is the obvious choice. It is really sad too becuase the mall and the surrounding area offer some great stores and places to eat.

And I just love how people like to call "calling out the facts" racism. Sometimes the truth hurts. There are many hardworking solid black families in this community, just like there are many worthless white families. However, the fact is that young black men are responsible for more crime than any other segment of society. They can blame whoever or whatever they want for the reason why, but until the black community admits it is what it is, nothing will change.

Northlake...the Eastland of 2015.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:29 AM

22,196 posts, read 29,229,212 times
+1 ^^

Old 04-20-2009, 07:50 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,858,254 times
I insist that my wife carry my taser if in a precarious place. If she there is an attempt to harm her, she will undoubedly use it. If the assailant continues towards her, I have trained her to take the pistol out of the console and shoot him. That would elliminate one scumbag. Fight back! Take back our malls!!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,365,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I insist that my wife carry my taser if in a precarious place. If she there is an attempt to harm her, she will undoubedly use it.

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/507/original/dont-tase-me-bro-4.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-20-2009, 08:57 AM

ROFL!

People, Northlake Mall is not the 'hood, for heaven's sake. One incident and people get wigged out.

Reading this thread, one would think Charlotte is the setting for West Side Story. Geeeezzzzzz.

I am a native and have never been a victim of crime here. Doesn't mean I won't be eventually. Crime can happen anywhere, in any big city, in any small burg, in a rural setting or uptown in a crowd - or in your own neighborhood, no matter how nice it is. Criminals commit crime and they can be anywhere. Anyone who is not paying attention to his/her safety is being foolish - whether in Charlotte or Chicago or NYC.

I guess Long Island is crime free, and that is why our OP has been so shocked since moving here.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyd View Post
Lets face it....Eastland is all but closed, so where else do you think they are going to go? Northlake is the obvious choice. It is really sad too becuase the mall and the surrounding area offer some great stores and places to eat.

And I just love how people like to call "calling out the facts" racism. Sometimes the truth hurts. There are many hardworking solid black families in this community, just like there are many worthless white families. However, the fact is that young black men are responsible for more crime than any other segment of society. They can blame whoever or whatever they want for the reason why, but until the black community admits it is what it is, nothing will change.

Northlake...the Eastland of 2015.
Oh, please. That is ridiculous. Northlake is not going to b/c rundown and crime ridden. The demographics are entirely different than what the surrounding area evolved to at Eastland Mall.

Crime here is not a black/white issue. Crime here is a poverty, lousy upbringing issue. It doesn't matter what color someone is - if they are raised in an at-risk home situation, they have two strikes against them from birth. That is a fact.

Northlake is part of a growing community and is a well-developed commercial district.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:08 AM

175 posts, read 411,201 times
As a native....I recall a time when the area around Eastland was considered very much middle class and every bit as nice as the area around Northlake. In the late 70's and early 80's the area was one of the best places in Charlotte to live, work, shop, and not get mugged. If you would have suggested in 1980 that Eastland would be a dumpster in 20 years, people would have laughed at you. So maybe my 2015 prediction is a bit soon, but take it to the bank....Northlake has nowhere but down to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte