Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:41 AM

120 posts, read 325,424 times

Advertisements

No need to apologize Ani. I understand your reaction, I come from a family of "rednecks", and after my Father-in-law (who grew up in NYC and now lives in Orlando) met them I guess he became intrigued and started sending redneck jokes, bless his heart. (Did I use it right? ) My husband finally had to call him and tell him that I didn't find them funny and of course he didn't really mean anything by them but it touched a nerve with me. I've always respected and felt pride in my family being "country" and for some outsider to seemingly make assumptions about their intelligence...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 07:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyePA View Post
No need to apologize Ani. I understand your reaction, I come from a family of "rednecks", and after my Father-in-law (who grew up in NYC and now lives in Orlando) met them I guess he became intrigued and started sending redneck jokes, bless his heart. (Did I use it right? ) My husband finally had to call him and tell him that I didn't find them funny and of course he didn't really mean anything by them but it touched a nerve with me. I've always respected and felt pride in my family being "country" and for some outsider to seemingly make assumptions about their intelligence...
I soooo understand what you mean. You know, it is politically incorrect to make fun of any group these days. But have you noticed? It is still open season on "rednecks" and on Southerners, in general. And for some reason, it seems that all the stereotypes about Southerners imply we are not only country hicks, we are racists, as well. I try to have a sense of humor about it but what gets me upset is when I think people actually BELIEVE this junk!

I am also really concerned that people are feeling uncomfortable at Northlakes. I wish someone could dig up some data to show me what types of crimes (not just police calls) have actually occurred there. Same for Carolina Place. I agree that it is weird to go to suburban malls and feel you need to be an urban pioneer to navigate your way through the place. But what we really need to know is . . . are there kids just hanging around to socialize, or are there really thugs in the group? Cause I know the majority of parents would not want their kids hanging around groups that truly are capable of violent behavior.

So the crux of this whole thread should really be - is there real reason for concern? B/c I honestly do not believe more (or worse) goes on at that mall than any mall in any city anywhere in the USA.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:56 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That was a totally unnecessary comment and a very disparaging one, at that. Would you be saying that if this forum was the NJ, NY, OH, or PA forum? I don't appreciate the stereotypes b/c they perpetuate ignorance about the South and Southerners. Further, you have mainly disparaged newcomers b/c most of the people saying Northlakes is becoming a ghetto mall are NOT natives.
Ani,

I know you are a native and you take this personally, but there are natives(or at last long term residents) that continue with the comments about the University Area and Northlake and thugs etc... There are many folks that are just as offended by the thug/ghettto/crime comments left on this board as you offended by the hood comments.

I don't think that the majority of people buy into the sterotype that Southerners have bigotry locked up for themseleves. ;-) Just like I don't believe the majority of people buy into the racial sterotypes that are played out on this board.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:58 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
Quote:
That was a totally unnecessary comment and a very disparaging one, at that. Would you be saying that if this forum was the NJ, NY, OH, or PA forum? I don't appreciate the stereotypes b/c they perpetuate ignorance about the South and Southerners. Further, you have mainly disparaged newcomers b/c most of the people saying Northlakes is becoming a ghetto mall are NOT natives.
DBGNCSU05 said
Quote:
I get the feeling that some people would be afraid to go any place where the folks weren't wearing white hoods!
Nothing about natives or newcomers. I thought it was along the same lines as your earlier sentiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821
Northlake is not the hood, for god's sake. I get the feeling that some of our newcomers are not used to being around black folks. Just cause black kids are standing around - it doesn't mean you are gonna get mugged.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:01 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,069 times
Also, I don't think the pp was commenting on natives at all. I think their comment was specifically for a group of folks that appear to be frightened in any environment where Black/brown people are present.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:03 AM

120 posts, read 325,424 times
Even though I go to Northlake a lot and love the University area I tend to keep my mouth shut. I admitedly see the good in all people until they show the bad so I feel like maybe I'm too naive to have a real perspective on it. I'm with you Ani, I've never felt unsafe at Northlake so I'm not seeing what all the fuss is about.

Last edited by GoodbyePA; 04-23-2009 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: left out word

Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
I agree as well! I don't get the fuss either. I've never felt unsafe there and I am a very petite woman.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:10 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyePA View Post
I've never felt unsafe at Northlake so I'm not seeing what all the fuss is about.

Same here. Reading through some of this thread it almost makes me wonder if there's a different Northlake Mall.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
NCgirl - Perhaps I misread the intent, but referring to the klan is not the same as saying some people are intimidated by being around black kids. I totally admit I get upset when anyone makes assumptions that just b/c kids are black (or hispanic, for that matter) that they are thugs. But to me . . . bringing up the klan appeared to imply that having the klan around would make people feel more comfortable. Having the klan around would totally freak most of us out.

As I said earlier, if the thing that is worrying people is that there are black kids hanging out w/ friends at the mall . . . then lets get that out in the open and discuss it. If there is real crime going on . . . then give me the stats and prove to me that kids are perpetuating that crime, cause I just don't believe they are.

It concerns me that so many people have labeled a whole region as the hood (such as the reference to Harris Blvd). There are pockets of crime, but not a whole community of criminal-minded people strewn across dozens of square miles. And our Chief of Police is doing everything that seems humanly possible to offer additional patrols and work w/ the community to clean up what high crime areas do exist.

If I have misread and misinterpreted anyone's intentions, then I do apologize. As I state earlier, I am just worn out w/ the stereotypes.

ETA: And I am very very concerned that a really nice area - Northlakes Mall - is being portrayed as a dangerous place! Like others, I enjoy going there and frankly don't see what the furor is about.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:22 AM

246 posts, read 583,616 times
Quote:
Whew. Thank you for clarifying that, Goodbye PA. I am so tired of the stereotypes - both about Southerners being klan members and every black kid being a thug. Sorry for misreading your reply. Pls. accept my apology.

First off, I was born & raised in the deep south - Alabama.

Second, I wasn't trying to make a generalization about all southerners. We, by and large, respect honest, hard-working folks no matter their skin color.

Third, it has been my experience that prejudice is even worse in a lot of urban areas up north.

Fourth, and most importantly, my comment was direct at the board troll/bigot (we all know who that is).

I'm sorry that my original post wasn't more clear to that last point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte