U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 03:49 PM

49 posts, read 118,873 times

Advertisements

This is just an idea but i always thought that I-24 should be extended from Chattanooga,Tn to Charlotte.The problem is if you want to get to chattanooga the only quickest ways to go up through Asheville and I-40 over to knoxville and then back down to chattanooga on I-75.The other way to go is I-85 south to the atlanta and pick up I-75 north.Looking at a map chattanooga and charlotte are in a straight line.The only thing logical to do is extend I-24 to Charlotte.The only direct route between the two cities is U.S.74 but that takes a very long time to drive.I know it probably will never happen because of the mountains and all the dynamite to build the road.I-85 between Atlanta and Charlotte is a nightmare at times.I-40 between Asheville and Knoxville isn't much better either,especially after I-81 dumps into I-40 east of Knoxville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 03:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
Please understand that would mean cutting right through the protected Great Smokie Mountains disturbing the wild life, the mountain views, streams that are already threaten by the drought.

There already has been similar drive to build new I 3 but it is routed towards your neighbor and basically both would take a similar path. It not much traffic on inconvience to take I 81 to 40 to 77 to Charlotte.

There is currently a stop I 3 campaign
  • A shorter interstate route from Savannah to Knoxville currently exists (I-95 to I-26 to I-40).
  • The proposed highway threatens four National Forests and the Great Smoky National Park. The damage to the mountain ecosystem, water and air quality, endangered species, local economies, and the beauty of the region would be irreversible.
  • The cost to build interstates through mountains is over $25 million per mile. Even non-mountain interstates cost $15 million per mile.
I promise you if that idea ever got off the ground that there will be a similar campaign to stop the expansion of I24 into one of the beauties we enjoy and care for.
Stop I-3 Campaign

Old 01-01-2009, 06:51 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,031,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksand66 View Post
This is just an idea but i always thought that I-24 should be extended from Chattanooga,Tn to Charlotte.The problem is if you want to get to chattanooga the only quickest ways to go up through Asheville and I-40 over to knoxville and then back down to chattanooga on I-75.The other way to go is I-85 south to the atlanta and pick up I-75 north.Looking at a map chattanooga and charlotte are in a straight line.The only thing logical to do is extend I-24 to Charlotte.The only direct route between the two cities is U.S.74 but that takes a very long time to drive.I know it probably will never happen because of the mountains and all the dynamite to build the road.I-85 between Atlanta and Charlotte is a nightmare at times.I-40 between Asheville and Knoxville isn't much better either,especially after I-81 dumps into I-40 east of Knoxville.
It sounds like a good idea. But you do have the problems that Sunny brought up. I wonder why people would protest. Wouldn't all that traffic help the local economy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or