Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:27 PM

198 posts, read 642,011 times

Advertisements

I recently heard from a neighbor that pets in Charlotte require a license. I've been here for 8 months now and I have never heard anything about this. Our cat and dog recently had their annual vet appointments and even the vet didn't mention anything about a pet license. I searched the Charlotte city-data forum and didn't see anything either.

Does anyone know about this? Where do you get a pet license? How much does it cost? How long is it valid? What are the repercussions if you do not have a license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 06:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Licensing (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Animal+Control/Programs+and+Services/Licensing.htm - broken link)

Old 01-01-2009, 06:42 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Usually when you get the annual rabies shot, the vet files the information with the city of Charlotte. They then send you the information for obtaining the license.

not sure on the repercussions, however.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:11 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,026 times
Weird, I have never heard of licensing for cats, I'm glad I live in Cabarrus.

I don't understand it, I would never pay the city $10 to register my cat when I have already done them a favor by paying to adopt a stray and already donate to local shelters. I guess I can see where they're coming from, encouraging neutering/spaying, but the jerks that won't get their pets fixed won't get them fixed either way.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:41 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,464,840 times
I realize the possible tangential bump I may induce into this thread...but it's been brought up, so I have to question it...

I don't understand why people are jerks for not spaying or neutering their animal. What if they want to breed the pet some day to keep a lineage going? What if they want to sell the offspring? I realize shelters are overflowing with homeless animals and that Sarah McGloughlin makes a heart-wrenching pity commercial for adopting animals, but some folks want a pure bred with a traceable pedigree, and they shouldn't be insulted for it. Nor should they be demoted to the level of scum for not gutting their female or removing their male's manhood!

Having said all of this, I have owned a pure bred (from a breeder, and never neutered), an adopted mutt (which I was forced to sign a neuter agreement--or they would reserve the right to take her back if we didn't), and rescued a dog from an abusive owner (never neutered). None were better than the others and I continue to have no preference for one method over the other. In fact, the sole reason we recently adopted was because of astronomical prices from a breeder.

I just find it funny that folks that don't automatically commit to chopping off their pet's woo-ha's are considered jerks. I think if you're a responsible owner, you can add volumes of prevention of unwanted offspring by paying attention to your pet...not letting them roam the yard 24/7, not letting them play with strays (and/or removing strays from your neighborhood). If I had the option, I probably would have never spayed our female. Now I don't have the option to someday breed her and keep an offspring for when she passes on. Some jerk I am...

Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
I live in Matthews and got a notice to get one for my cats after I took them to the vets. What a bunch of crap. Never had to get one for a cat before. They never leave the house so what is the point besides making some more money for the county/town?

Old 01-04-2009, 12:57 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
I realize the possible tangential bump I may induce into this thread...but it's been brought up, so I have to question it...

I don't understand why people are jerks for not spaying or neutering their animal. What if they want to breed the pet some day to keep a lineage going? What if they want to sell the offspring? I realize shelters are overflowing with homeless animals and that Sarah McGloughlin makes a heart-wrenching pity commercial for adopting animals, but some folks want a pure bred with a traceable pedigree, and they shouldn't be insulted for it. Nor should they be demoted to the level of scum for not gutting their female or removing their male's manhood!

Having said all of this, I have owned a pure bred (from a breeder, and never neutered), an adopted mutt (which I was forced to sign a neuter agreement--or they would reserve the right to take her back if we didn't), and rescued a dog from an abusive owner (never neutered). None were better than the others and I continue to have no preference for one method over the other. In fact, the sole reason we recently adopted was because of astronomical prices from a breeder.

I just find it funny that folks that don't automatically commit to chopping off their pet's woo-ha's are considered jerks. I think if you're a responsible owner, you can add volumes of prevention of unwanted offspring by paying attention to your pet...not letting them roam the yard 24/7, not letting them play with strays (and/or removing strays from your neighborhood). If I had the option, I probably would have never spayed our female. Now I don't have the option to someday breed her and keep an offspring for when she passes on. Some jerk I am...
Well, you don't sound like a jerk (just a bit oversensitive), you sound like a responsible pet owner. Maybe you just have more faith in people than I do, but I think that by and large people that don't fix their pets are avoiding it out of cost or laziness, not out of wanting to breed or any other reason; and I also think many pet owners aren't responsible enough to prevent unwanted mating. So I am completely willing to generalize here, sorry.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:50 PM

161 posts, read 423,380 times
Actually this is something I am very passionate about. I really am against most breeding as the back yard wacks do no justice to the animal. Having said that you can find good, wholesome, registered, vet referred breeders.

I always say go for the human society instead of bringing another animal into this world. I am also one that does not understand fixing your animals.

Before I had kids, and mind you my oldest is just 6. I used to donate my time to a local vet I knew. It broke my heart when I had one of my cats put down. Very sick, old. You understand. But I had to wait because they were putting down the unwanted.

While letting go of my baby I had for 18 and half years I realized many, millions, prob more are put to death each day and they never know a human. All the know is survival for life if a stray. Or a cage, one set of bars to another. It hit me that I would never want an animal to go to sleep with out knowing the touch of a loving human.

With that I held many, many, many animals that were sick, dying, injured or just not wanted as their bodies went limp in my arms. Sure I wept for the stranger I did not know but it was my touch of warmth and love that they last felt.

If your on the fence or do not buy into fixing your animals go to your vets and do this for a month or so. You will change your mind.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:36 PM

198 posts, read 642,011 times
I realize that this has gotten a little off-topic, but since I'm the OP, I'm okay with it!

There are many reasons why it's a big deal if you don't get your animal spayed/neutered. Before anyone jumps on me about this, please know that I own a purebred show dog, who has since been spayed, and I believe that there's no problem with a responsible dog owner having an unaltered animal. However:

- Very few pet owners are responsible enough to ensure there will NEVER be an "accidental" breeding.
- Very few pet owners understand how difficult it is to safely care for a pregnant dog, whelp the litter, raise and care for the puppies, and find GOOD homes for them.
- Some owners think that "Lady is a great dog" is a good reason for Lady to have puppies.
- Some owners think "Little Johnny should see the miracle of life" is a good reason for Lady to have puppies.
- Some people think selling puppies is a good way to make money.

These are just a few reasons why I think most people should spay/neuter their animals. The only dogs that should be having litters are purebred champions who are being bred to IMPROVE the BREED. Not for personal gain, or curiosity, or negligence, etc.

A good breeder will have homes lined up for all the pups BEFORE a litter is conceived. A good breeder will require any non-show pups from the litter to be spayed/neutered. A good breeder will ALWAYS take a dog back, no matter how many years later, if the original family can't keep it anymore. And a good breeder does not have multiple litters of pups at any given time!

Otherwise, I strongly believe you're part of the problem. I know a lot of poeple won't agree with this post, but over many years I have become a knowledgeable dog owner, very active with my breed's rescue association, and currently foster a rescue dog who is a result of someone's "brilliant idea" to breed his dog with a neighbor's.

Don't even get me started on these so-called "designer dogs" like Cockapoos, Goldendoodles, etc!

Old 01-04-2009, 03:49 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post
I realize that this has gotten a little off-topic, but since I'm the OP, I'm okay with it!

There are many reasons why it's a big deal if you don't get your animal spayed/neutered. Before anyone jumps on me about this, please know that I own a purebred show dog, who has since been spayed, and I believe that there's no problem with a responsible dog owner having an unaltered animal. However:

- Very few pet owners are responsible enough to ensure there will NEVER be an "accidental" breeding.
- Very few pet owners understand how difficult it is to safely care for a pregnant dog, whelp the litter, raise and care for the puppies, and find GOOD homes for them.
- Some owners think that "Lady is a great dog" is a good reason for Lady to have puppies.
- Some owners think "Little Johnny should see the miracle of life" is a good reason for Lady to have puppies.
- Some people think selling puppies is a good way to make money.

These are just a few reasons why I think most people should spay/neuter their animals. The only dogs that should be having litters are purebred champions who are being bred to IMPROVE the BREED. Not for personal gain, or curiosity, or negligence, etc.

A good breeder will have homes lined up for all the pups BEFORE a litter is conceived. A good breeder will require any non-show pups from the litter to be spayed/neutered. A good breeder will ALWAYS take a dog back, no matter how many years later, if the original family can't keep it anymore. And a good breeder does not have multiple litters of pups at any given time!

Otherwise, I strongly believe you're part of the problem. I know a lot of poeple won't agree with this post, but over many years I have become a knowledgeable dog owner, very active with my breed's rescue association, and currently foster a rescue dog who is a result of someone's "brilliant idea" to breed his dog with a neighbor's.

Don't even get me started on these so-called "designer dogs" like Cockapoos, Goldendoodles, etc!

I agree with you. I have rescued more dogs in my adult years than I care to count where someone decided to simply abandon the animal or beat & starve it for whatever reason... and, I am guessing that if these were purebred show animals that people paid $$$ for, this would not have happened.

My first act with any animal I rescue is to have it spayed/neutered along with the proper shots and health exam. I have not always had a lot of funds to be able to do this and have had to sacrifice in other areas. My current dog, Ashley was given to me just as she was going into heat again after having had puppies. She cost more to be spayed and, her incision would not heal properly; that is how malnourished she was. Quite honestly, who knows how many litters she had...one after the other...and not enough food to keep herself and, I am sure, her puppies alive. It took quite awhile to get this poor thing healthy and, only now, two years later, is she able to chew a bone because her gums/teeth were in such poor shape from being malnourished. Additionally, she shows all the signs of an abused animal. It really breaks my heart that she had to endure all of this.

Now, I am not going to say that every single person that does not have their animals spayed/neutered is a bad person. That is ludicrous. But, if everyone that does not want to spay/neuter their animal would then be required to volunteer at the animal shelter for one month...I am thinking that their entire outlook would be changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte