Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times

Advertisements

Reading, math push science off the radar | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/education/story/421481.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 07:17 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Reading, math push science off the radar | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/education/story/421481.html - broken link)
loves - This story disturbed me to no end! Science and math are what propelled us into the space age after Sputnik back in 1957. If the US is to maintain any creditable lead in the world, we need to re-emphasize science and math in our schools. We are in danger of becoming a second-rate power because the rest of the world is "eating our lunch" in these critical areas. This relates directly into the failure of our schools, both at the primary and secondary levels. American colleges and universities are still major attractions for talented students from around the world. The sad thing is that these bright students, who used to stay here after getting their PhDs are now leaving due to short-sighted immigration policies. They now go back to China or India to create the future. American students who had brains and talent seemed to gravitate to business schools thinking that investment banking was the way to that bright, successful future. Look where that got us!
If the current educational trends continue, America will become the "land of not invented here".

Old 12-30-2008, 07:30 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
Tera Servatius talked about this on a show before Christmas (can't remember what day), It is outragous that, foe any reason, this:

Quote:
But 41 CMS schools, almost all of them high-poverty neighborhood schools, had pass rates below 25 percent. At Bruns Avenue Elementary, where 97 percent of students come from low-income homes, 90 fifth-graders took the science test. Only one earned a grade-level score, for a pass rate of 1 percent.
is acceptable!

Old 12-31-2008, 09:28 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,074 times
What I can't believe is that there is not more outrage! where is the OUTRAGE!!!! People are disinclined to actually do or say anything of any interest concerning this subject (with the exception of previous posters, of course) These are our children, our future and they are going to be dumb as dirt!

We are already being spanked by many other countries, some of which are not too friendly with us............we need to be very, very concerned.

But we as a city and state (and country) don't seem to be very concerned. Just a lot of finger pointing, and the children are the ones that lose.

Parents........get out of your easy chairs, TURN OFF the TV!!!!!!!!! pay attention to children, what they learn, and if they are even learning. Did any parent ask...........why isn't my child LEARNING science?????? Parents need to be held accountable too, quit pointing fingers at everyone else for this horrible educational failure.

Getting off the soapbox now................

Old 01-01-2009, 10:13 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,959 times
In other news kids are getting stupider by the day and parents care less and less about teaching their children outside school. Being a good student isn't emphasized as much as being good athletes and pretty soon China and Japan will have every single tech job, rather than just the high % they currently have. Our country is on a downward slide, sorry to say and its because of the work ethic and lack of importance put on being educated.

Why do you think so many people signed up for mortgages they couldn't afford? Laziness to do research and learn about what was going on.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:18 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,959 times
also as a tidbit to re-emphasize the previous poster about the PHds. I got my masters degree in engineering from a new england university. Guess how many american born students were studying for advanced degrees. Less than 5% of the students.

Our days as a technological superpower are numbered.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:23 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
also as a tidbit to re-emphasize the previous poster about the PHds. I got my masters degree in engineering from a new england university. Guess how many american born students were studying for advanced degrees. Less than 5% of the students.

Our days as a technological superpower are numbered.
I'm surprised that 5% of students studying for advanced engineering degrees in your school were American. I strongly suspect that enrollment in a great many Engineering Departments have less than that. Science and math jobs seem to have lost the little "glamour" they had in the early 60's during the "space race". Just a few weeks ago, there was an article in the Charlotte Observer about a family who had moved, so their son could get more "playing time" with the football team at another school. I wonder if any would consider moving so their sons or daughters could end up in a school with a better science program?

"No Child Left Behind" has severely dampened any "intellectual curiosity" of many students, producing ones who "parrot" what they've been taught and not much more. This has been deemed a "success" when the vast majority of students who take "dumbed-down state tests" fall into the +/- one standard deviation area. When will the schools extol as much praise on a student who goes to NY for the Intel Science Contest as they do for a winning quarterback? With the current priorities of our schools, one can rest assured that the "American Century" is over!

Old 01-01-2009, 12:53 PM

701 posts, read 1,083,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I'm surprised that 5% of students studying for advanced engineering degrees in your school were American. I strongly suspect that enrollment in a great many Engineering Departments have less than that. Science and math jobs seem to have lost the little "glamour" they had in the early 60's during the "space race". Just a few weeks ago, there was an article in the Charlotte Observer about a family who had moved, so their son could get more "playing time" with the football team at another school. I wonder if any would consider moving so their sons or daughters could end up in a school with a better science program?

"No Child Left Behind" has severely dampened any "intellectual curiosity" of many students, producing ones who "parrot" what they've been taught and not much more. This has been deemed a "success" when the vast majority of students who take "dumbed-down state tests" fall into the +/- one standard deviation area. When will the schools extol as much praise on a student who goes to NY for the Intel Science Contest as they do for a winning quarterback? With the current priorities of our schools, one can rest assured that the "American Century" is over!
Excellent points! We can only hope that America will decide what is truely important for their children and stop resting on it's laurels.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:31 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Well, it gets worse.

I suppose to give science some visibility (and possibly funding), Science is now tested just like Math and Reading are, in the 8th grade.

Of course the children haven't learned squat when they get there, but there are four "units" that are crammed with facts...Well more like applications of science in two of them.

Anyway, because of the teach to the NC Standard Course of Study (NCSCS) reality, "science" when it is in the 8th grade, has become rather cookbook. When I taught in 94-96 we balanced equations. This year we said, "equations are balanced."

There is no time for failure, there is no time for tangents, there is no time to explore in depth areas that are of particular interest to the children, there is no time for wonder, awe, or delight. There is just time to keep up with the pacing guide.

For those of you who understand science, you will know that the first part of the above paragraph is what science really is. We are teaching facts, not techniques, possibilities, passion, adventure. Just the facts, maam. Not to mentioned they are pretty much watered down facts.

Not that teachers do not want to, but the amount of content is voluminous, the required pace is relentless, you have to cover it so that the kids are ready for the test.

My 2007-2008 science tests scores were phenomenal (I don't teach in CMS, no way, by the way) but I am teaching math this year. Just could not teach "science" the way I had to.

Finally, if you want to get really depressed, look up some great engineering and science college websites, the one that show the students. Yes, these are American colleges, just does not look that way.

We are probably doomed.

lln

Old 01-02-2009, 03:49 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
Hey, but at least they are socialized!

Sorry, homeschooling humor.

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: