U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:04 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,737,320 times

Advertisements

Oh marvin ridge middle and hs is in Union County...incase u didnt know....good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 06:28 AM

414 posts, read 1,145,938 times
Detroit City,

I would take most of these posts with a grain-of-salt. Both districts have wonderful schools, and both districts have some less desirable schools.

People often post based on their personal experience, which is fine, but it doesn't consider the system as a whole. Both CMS and UCPS can claim some of the best schools in the state, even the Southeast.

You will find a rather large contrast of schools within each district. Schools range from a VERY, VERY wealthy student population, to a very poor urbanized make-up. You will even find some schools made up of very poor, rural minorities, which is a bit of a change from the north, where most minorities (especially blacks) are contained to an urban environment.

The pay, as someone mentioned is different. CMS pays more, you can find that information directly from their websites. I wouldn't call the difference huge, but if you are on a tight budget, it may play an imortant role in your decision.

I would add, the most challenging school to work for in UCPS, is probably nothing compared to some of the challenges you'll face in some of the lower performing schools in CMS. Really, the only urban environment in Union County is Monroe, and it definitely comes with some challenges (crime, non-english speaking students, low income levels, etc.), but truthfully it's probably not anything like what you could face in inner city Charlotte, or Detroit for that matter.

Overall, if I were still teaching, I would not hesitate to work in any of the schools in UCPS. I definitely could not say the same for CMS, however there are many, many, many schools in CMS that are definitely worth considering.

I suggest you take some time to come down and visit each district before you make any commitments. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2009, 01:54 PM

176 posts, read 469,332 times
I heard that if you work for UCPS and then resign they will never hire you back into their system. For example, a friend of mine used to work with me at UCPS but she had a baby and decided to take some time off so she resigned from her position at the end of the school year and stayed home with her baby for a couple of years. Now she can't seem to get rehired by UCPS. She has inquired about several vacancies but they don't seem interested in her even though she has good recommendations and was well-received in her school. I think it is all in her head or maybe it's not. Is it true that once you leave UCPS they won't take you back?

Old 01-05-2009, 02:00 PM

4,084 posts, read 10,135,297 times
Aren't you currently working in UCPS? I would think you could ask around and let us know!

I left UCPS because my son needed surgeries and I just couldn't juggle dealing with that and working full time.

I was hoping to go back, but I certainly would like to know this information!

Dawn

PS: When I left the Sup. personally told me that she hoped I would come back, so I would be upset if what you are saying is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteQueen View Post
I heard that if you work for UCPS and then resign they will never hire you back into their system. For example, a friend of mine used to work with me at UCPS but she had a baby and decided to take some time off so she resigned from her position at the end of the school year and stayed home with her baby for a couple of years. Now she can't seem to get rehired by UCPS. She has inquired about several vacancies but they don't seem interested in her even though she has good recommendations and was well-received in her school. I think it is all in her head or maybe it's not. Is it true that once you leave UCPS they won't take you back?

Old 01-05-2009, 02:16 PM

Not any more. I left because before I was a teacher I was a flight attendant on a leave of absence and they recalled me back to fly. My principal told me the same thing that I was always welcome back and I still have connections and friends so I thought what my friend was telling me was odd. That's why I was wondering. Maybe there is more to the story. I will try and ask some other teachers who work there if they know anything about it.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:57 PM

75 posts, read 186,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteQueen View Post
Nah, I think your friend is just using that as her excuse for not being hired. There has to be more to it.

I personally know SEVERAL people that have left the UCPS system and have come back with NO problems at all. Some that I know have left for children, relocation or even for higher pay at CMS, yet they are currently working in the system.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:18 PM

OK, thanks. I suspected there was more to the story. It probably is just an excuse.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:21 PM

529 posts, read 1,800,064 times
SWQ,

There have been many people that left UCPS and then returned when they found out the grass is not always greener or have come back after having kids. I would say there is more to it. CMS has a do not rehire list, but UCPS does not that I am aware of.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:59 AM

4,084 posts, read 10,135,297 times
CMS has a do not rehire list? Are you talking about teachers who leave because of having babies and family leave or are you talking about a list of do not rehire because this person has done X,Y,and Z and we don't want him/her back?

This is all so odd to me. I know people in other districts that have left and come back more than once, usually because of family leaves, but still....it hasn't been an issue.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cball75 View Post
SWQ,

There have been many people that left UCPS and then returned when they found out the grass is not always greener or have come back after having kids. I would say there is more to it. CMS has a do not rehire list, but UCPS does not that I am aware of.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:52 PM

529 posts, read 1,800,064 times
Dawn,

They have a list of do not rehire for reasons X,Y,Z... not for resigning for any other reason. For example, one way to end up on it is not working the entire 30 day notice. They even send letters out if your status for rehire is hurt for whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or